PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

recipe book recommendations please

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear, I have a huge collection of cookbooks as well! I have to say that when it comes to it I tend to use Good Houskeeping's Cookery Book for most basic recipes, a book my brother bought me years ago. I tend not to follow recipes (excepting cakes, therin lies disaster), so as long as I know the bones of a recipe I will use all the celeb books as inspiration rather than following them slavishy.

I am just about to start a small catering business, so now I have an excuse for leafing through all my lovely books, and will no doubt find very good reasons why I need more!

My very first cookery book was the Readers Digest 'The Cookery Year' bought for me in the early 70's when I was about 12. I read it untill the covers fell off, and I bought a replacement. I squealed with delight when I caught a brief glimpse of a page on Simon Hopkinson's recent program - I recognised it instantly, it must be burned into my subconcious. Cooked very few things from it, but it really sparked my interest in cooking and food generally. My mum was a trained cook, but gave it up when she had me and we moved out of London. After that we were so poor and she worked so hard, food was good but basic. Looking though that book I realised that food could be exotic and fabulous!
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • Flora_Poste
    Options
    I too have the cookery book fetish. I have no more room to fit any more so I get them from the library to see which new ones are good enough to replace an old one. To be honest they rarely are. Darina Allen (MIL of Rachel ) Forgotten cookery skills was the only one so far.

I also think their early books are best when you get their favourite family recipies before they run out of ideas.
    "A savoury muffin?? As if life wasn't disappointing enough!" Miranda
  • ixia
    ixia Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Options
    I've got loads of cookery books too and I've already recycled some. Went to the library and what did I come back with you guesed it more cookery books. I really need to start using them!!
  • zippychick
    Options
    ive merged this with our main cook book thread

Hummingbid cake days may also help

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• zippychick
    Options
    These threads are long (discussing tv programmes) but good you have time :)

Economy gastronomy

nigellas kitchen
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    There is something on the grabbit board about it.

£13.00 in WHSmith & a voucher for £5.00 off, making it £8.00:money:
    can you use those vouchers on discount books.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    Options
    one of the best cookbooks I've ever used is this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Student-Cookbook-Foolproof-Recipes/dp/075531056X

foolproof and budget, it's basically the book that taught me to cook.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure