PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

recipe book recommendations please

Options

Comments

• nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bero recipe book, just bought a new one lol
  • angeltreats
    Options
    Does anyone have the new Nigella book, Kitchen?
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone have the new Nigella book, Kitchen?

There is something on the grabbit board about it.

£13.00 in WHSmith & a voucher for £5.00 off, making it £8.00:money:
  • kinkyjinks
    Options

My college textbook from years ago was called Practical Cookery, that was fantastic, it had everything. I lost my copy in one of my many house moves but one day I'll pick up another one.

Excellent book. I still have my copy from when I was at chef school. It's held together with yellowing tape and I still use it as a reference from time to time. Ooooh I might introduce my OH to it in a bid to broaden his cooking skills ;)
    "Who’s that tripping over my bridge?" roared the Troll.
    "Oh, it’s only me, the littlest Billy-goat Gruff and I’m going off to the hills to make myself fat"
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Good Granny Cookbook, put together by Hugh Ferny-watshis-names' Mother is full of traditional family favorites and lovely little stories behind them from readers. It's a nice read even if you don't cook anything :)

Jamie's Ministry of Food I like for basics, and the Domestic Goddess can't be beaten for puddings.

I need a good Seafood book, if anyone can recommend?
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Purse_String
    Options
    I have the Dairy Book of Home Cooking for the basics. If I'm in the mood for something tasty then its either Jamie Oliver or Ainsley. For getting in the mood to cook I find Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaires gets me using more seasonal stuff. I do have a few Delia books but my results are a bit hit and miss. Oh, not to forget MSE website for ideas and thrift.
  • toddles*
    Options
    thanks guys, Jamies Ministry of food seems popular, think I will add that one to my xmas list.

happy cooking!
    Happy days
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    toddles* wrote: »
    thanks guys, Jamies Ministry of food seems popular, think I will add that one to my xmas list.

happy cooking!

Its a basic must have cookbook:T
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have the Scottish Womens Rural Institute books (SWRI) which are great for all the main course recipes and also for your home baking - couldnt recommend it highly enough. I have had the one I use for over twenty years, along with the Farmhouse Cookbook which used to be on the TV when I was young think it was a lady called Grace Mulligan who presented it then - may be wrong though! Both have splats over many of the pages and are held together with ageing sellotape. I also use the Be-Ro one too. This replaced the old Lofty Peak recipe book belonging my mum which was lost in a house move. It would have been over 40 years old now, I would dearly love to get hold of a replacement but sadly ebay never have any. I think they were given out in the late 60's by the local Co-ops if you bought lofty peak flour.
    Every days a School day!
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Having at least 70 or 80 plus cookbooks I had to really think which ones I actually return to time and again which was difficult as there are so many.

But I narrowed it down to the Dairy Book of Home Cooking, Delia's Christmas, Nigella Bites and recently Paula Deen but thats online for recipes via food network or on her website.

If I'm totally frank its a select few recipes that I returned to time and again ie Jamie Olivers lasagne or Nigella's potato gratin.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport