PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

recipe book recommendations please

Options

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd be embarrased to tell you which books I have (did I say i was also a book fiend :o ) ... but someone recently mentioned a good deal from the Bookpeople I think it was where you got 8 books for a tenner, including titles by Nigel Slater, Rick Stein and what I thought was Sophie Grigson, but is Jane Grigson (any relation?) so I went and ordered them pronto only to find they're paperbacks with no pretty pictures :(

Now to some people, this might not matter, and indeed they are a good bargain, but I must admit to feeling slightly disappointed when I opened the box :rolleyes:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    bluesnice wrote:
    Delia's How to Cook collection is great. I have Jamie Olivers lastest 'Jamies Dinners' which I'm really enjoying.

But my favourite is Nigel Slaters 'Appetite'. Its rustic cooking - stews, fish pie, casseroles. He doesn't list precise quantities but gives an estimation with lots of alternatives/variations for each recipe, such as adding or swapping bits ect so you can be a bit creative!

Agree with all that - Nigel Slater is one of my favourites because it's all about good food from simple ingredients. If you go to https://www.booksonline.co.uk you can get two of his books (Real Fast Food and Real Fast Puddings) in a collection of 8 cookery books for £9.99 + p&p.

I've got Appetite out of the library and it's very basic stuff but as bluesnice says, with ideas for variations.

Even though the whole family is vegetarian, I prefer general cookbooks rather than books based around tofu and aduki beans!
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Magentasue wrote:
    If you go to www.booksonline.co.uk you can get two of his books (Real Fast Food and Real Fast Puddings) in a collection of 8 cookery books for £9.99 + p&p.

That's the collection I just mentioned above, and it may be you Sue that put me onto it in the first place, but my memory being like it is, I can't for the life in me remember now :rolleyes:
    ~

• frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    Options
    Can you recommend any good Curry books Curry_Queen?
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • krazyk
    krazyk Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    swampytiggaa,

Where did you get Real Fast Food from Amazon for £1. I've searched and it says £6.39, though I've found it on Play.com for £5.99. I guess you were lucky on got it used (though the cheapest now is £4.50)?

I can find the Cost-conscious Cookbook only on Amazon.

K
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    That's the collection I just mentioned above, and it may be you Sue that put me onto it in the first place, but my memory being like it is, I can't for the life in me remember now :rolleyes:

It was me - our posts crossed!:cool:
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    frizz_head wrote:
    Can you recommend any good Curry books Curry_Queen?

Yes!!!! :D

The Curry Secret by Kris Dillon for your "English" Indian restaurant/take-away type curries and anything by Madhur Jaffrey for the more authentic regional Indian dishes.

Keith Floyd did a series on Indian cookery, and I believe there's a book to follow that up, which would be useful if you can find it (I don't have a copy) but from what I've seen of the programmes it should be good :)
    ~

• sunnth
    sunnth Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also use the 70s delia complete cookery course book for checking basic recipes frequently and theres loads on jointing a chicken, oven temperatures etc. I like nigel slaters real fast food, and puddings books but my favourite of his is the 30minute cook.

At the moment however I am using Saving Dinner as recommended on the flylady site and it is great although I have to substitute a few of the american ingredients and its taken me a while to get the hang of some of the terminology. It hasn't reduced my shopping bill any more - I spend about £40 a week for 5 of us but we are eating fresh, healthier food and I don't have to think about what I am going to cook as every night is a different recipe and it is all laid out for you. i.e. for the last week we have been eating the dinners from spring week 2! A bit over the top but has helped me to enjoy cooking again and my family think most of the meals taste great too. I can also print out the weeks shopping list straight from the site which saves me time working out what i need to buy for the weeks meals.
  • krazyk
    krazyk Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know where I can get Cost-conscious Cookbook, apart from Amazon?

K
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing