PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

recipe book recommendations please

Options

Comments

• stellagypsy
    stellagypsy Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    I like good old Delia. I also use the Dairy Book of Home Cookery - got it from one of those book club things at work and it is very good, lots of basic recipes in there. Also, the one by Bernardine (feed the family for a fiver) was a godsend for us a few years ago (when we couldn't afford a fiver!), as was "Grub on a Grant" and "Peckish but Poor" by Cas Clarke. I picked up the last 3 at car boot sales. Charity shops have a lot of cook books too.

Stella
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    Delia also did one called "Frugal Food" which I use quite a lot, this was first published in the 1970's but reprinted recently.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    All the Shirley Goode books are great. There are 3 paperbacks:-
    The Goode Kitchen (pink gingham cover)
    Goode for One (blue gingham cover)
    Have a Goode year (green gingham cover)
    They are out of print now I think but you can pick them up in charity shops for about 20p to 50p. I wear mine out so try to pick them up whenever I can.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • KK
    KK Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    Although I'm not really a veggie now I have 2 cookery books which I use all the time - Cranks Cookbook which has great recipes in and Rose Elliott's Vegetarian Cookbook - don't know if you can still get them though as I've had mine for years. Delia's complete cookery is brilliant as are her How to Cook books - both used a lot in my household. My mum used to have some cookbooks which she used a lot from the 70s one called, 'what's for lunch mum?' and another called 'Feed your family for £? per day' (can't remember the amount!). We also used the Dairy Cookbook a lot.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another Delia fan and the "How to Cook" series is superb. Lots of modern twists on good old fashioned British dishes, plus the usual Mediterranean ones too.

She's not the only one on my bookshelf, but I turn to her time & time again - bless 'er :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • KTFrugal
    KTFrugal Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    I suggest Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book and Jane Grigson's Fruit Book. Both are available in paperback and probably at your local 2nd hand book shop as they're so old. Great for those strange veggies in your weekly box, or for those who want to learn how to cook broccoli 10 different ways.
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have three cookbooks I never use - tried to sell them on ebay recently and not a flicker of interest. If anyone wants them they can have them for the postage.

to save me putting in the details, they are here, here and here. They're not bad, but I've incorporated all I'm going to into my repertoire now :)

PM me if you're interested and I'll let you know what the postage would be.
  • ldeakin
    Options
    Have you tried the discount book shops, I think one is called "The Works" - they have some bargain books. When I was a student I bought a very big book with some lovely recipes in, it was called something like "Healthy eating guide" recommended price £17.99 I bought it for £5.99 - I love a bargain!
  • bluesnice
    bluesnice Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Delia's How to Cook collection is great. I have Jamie Olivers lastest 'Jamies Dinners' which I'm really enjoying.

But my favourite is Nigel Slaters 'Appetite'. Its rustic cooking - stews, fish pie, casseroles. He doesn't list precise quantities but gives an estimation with lots of alternatives/variations for each recipe, such as adding or swapping bits ect so you can be a bit creative!
    Saving money is fun :A
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have any of Nigel Slaters books, but I love watching his TV programmes - he is so passionate about food, and cooks the most scrummy things.

My favourite book, is The Good Housekeeping one as its jam packed with pictures - I need pictures. I also have Delias Winter Collection which I am starting to use a lot - Beef in Designer Beer and Authentic Ragu Bolognese are favourites.

Another one I like is Ainsleys Meals In Minutes, as it does what it says on the tin, and all the meals are really delicious.
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills