PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

recipe book recommendations please

Options

Comments

• The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Any of the Good Housekeeping step by step books are great. Plenty on ebay, in charity shops etc. All the GH cook books are good.
    Nice to save.
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Oh dear...gulp...will have to confess......that most of my recent recipes have come from.......

wait for it.........

HERE !!!!

Squeakys indexes rule !!!!!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a whole shelf full of favourites. I bought recipe books as a student as the things i liked to read about were too expensive to cook. I read these recipes instead of eating them. (violins pleeeze...) I have Leith's bible, always handy if you need to completely debone a chicken or cook something else obscure. Other faves are Nigella's how to eat, Jamie Oliver Naked chef, Rick stein's big book, a HUGE Madhur jaffrey book of all her recipes, larousse gastronomique and a copy of escoffier just cos its so posh. I also love a couple of French elle cuisine books I bought for 50p years ago, as they tell you how to cook loads of game - hare, pigeon, doves, brains, cassoulet, pigs' feet. Who needs to watch hannibal...sssslurp! Pass the chianti;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The Good Housekeeping Cookbook, I am on my 3rd as I use it so much I wear it out!

My son bought me Nigella Bites recently and I have enjoyed several of those recipes.

Any of the Shirley Goode books and The Dairy cookbook are also in regular use.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    My most used cookery book is
    The Cranks Recipe Book ISBN: 0586060901
    Closely followed byEntertaining with Cranks ISBN: 0752825798
    I'm not a vegetarian but the meals in these recipes are all worth cooking/eating and tend not to be the pretend meat variety.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My most used cookery book is
    The Cranks Recipe Book ISBN: 0586060901
    Closely followed byEntertaining with Cranks ISBN: 0752825798
    I'm not a vegetarian but the meals in these recipes are all worth cooking/eating and tend not to be the pretend meat variety.

I have that one Ted and can recommend the recipe for making yogurt, it turns out right each time. There are loads of other recipes in there that I want to try like the date and oat slices.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just before I got married (1981) I bought "Learning to Cook" by Marguerite Patten. It's a small paperback, very basic, and was originally published in the 1950s & not much, if at all, updated in the ensuing 30 years. It gives basic recipes, and arranges them by month. ie it gives a breakfast, lunch or supper, & dinner recipe for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd day of each month. It tells you what is seasonal, what to do if things go wrong, & how to use up leftovers! It even teaches you how to cook toast, boil an egg & make a cup of tea!
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use The Readers Digest Cookery Year (borrow from my mum but I can't get a decent copy anywhere atm), Look and Cook (given to me when I was in primary school), ASDA magazine, here and my own recipe book which I am slowly compiling from magazine/here recipes ;)
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My most used recipe books are the notebooks I'm compiling from the web (mostly from here :D). I use a 49p A5 spriral bound notebook from tesco's ...I'm on my second one and I'm only putting down those I know I will try out!

I also pick up books from car boots. It's great, all those people who think that they don't need to cook anymore because they can buy ready made :rolleyes:.

Recently I've bought:

Readers Digest, Food from your Garden
    Yorkshire Women's Institute Book of Recipes (my mum had this book in the late 60's)
    Mary Berry's Complete Cookery Book
    The Resouceful Cook.

I never pay more than a pound for my recipe books and they keep me in happy reading for hours!

I'm just waiting for the postman to deliver my Be-Ro cook book .....
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    THIS has to be my favorite cookery book.

The instructions are really simple and easy to follow, the ingredients are usually already in your store cupboard and, if you get stuck you can ask the chef about it and usually get a reply within the hour icon14.gif :T :D
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure