PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

recipe book recommendations please

Options

Comments

• Numptie
    Numptie Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    I find that these guys are a good source of cookbooks.
    https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk
    Humans only use around forty percent of their brains capacity. Imagine what we could achieve if we used the other seventy percent!
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    :hello: Welcome Numptie :wave:

I have a number of books (including the "We'll Eat Again" series/Delia/Beradine Lawrence, Paupers) which I use often, but recently the most used books in my kitchen are:-

Every Day Cookbook - Marguerite Pattern
    1000 Freezer Recipes - Carole Handslip & Jeni Wright (even more used now to compliment the slow-cooker)

Worth keeping a look out for in old book shops/charity shops.

Cookery books aimed at Students are always a good source of basic cookery/frugal recipes.

swampytiggaa - could the reason your library is pants because: all the good cookery books are out on loan? ;)

Tip: If you see any books mentioned on here that interest you, try asking your library to get them in for you (you may have to pay a small fee, like 50p - £1) but they can either "borrow" it from another library, or buy it in. If you have a scanner/copier, simply scan off the pages that you know you want, then return your book to the library. (You are allowed to make copies for personal use!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have quite a few plus a lot of cookery magazines but the best book I have ever bought is 'Desserts' by the Cordon Bleu.It's superb!The pictures and recipes in it are extraordinary really incredible.I went into Dobbies (a garden centre here in Scotland) and found this book on offer and it is worth all the £4.95 I paid .It has so many explanations with detailed pictures and so many decorating ideas I really recommend it to any cake /dessert fan.
    What's your best cookery book?:D
    half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The readers Digest cookery year, which I "borrowed" from school, in 1979. It has lost its cover and parts of the index, but I still refer to it on regular occasions.
    I also have to confess to being a good food magazine addict, and have copies going back at least 5 years, which, on special occasions get dragged out for inspiration. I learned to cook from the Good Housekeeping cookery step by step cookery book, and am still hunting for it for my daughters. No luck so far though.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

As I cant cook, when I left home, my Mum gave my husband Delias Complete Cookery, and that has kept us going ever since (16 years and counting) I find it excellent for basic things and for more complicated stuff

These days I have improved slightly, I no longer burn everything to a crisp, and I recently borrowed a copy of Jamies Dinners by Jamie Oliver, and that is also wonderfull

but for an all round cookbook if you only want 1 then I would have to say Delia. Apparently she has a website with recipes that can be printed off.

Elmer
  • bethscott1970
    Options
    My favorite cookbook is the web ;) If I fancy a particular thing I just google for it or check the recipes on here. I don't print the recipe out but I have been known to email a good recipe to myself just to store it on gmail.
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A couple of Christmases ago, in my stocking from my parents was a local charity cook book. It's a brilliant collection of recipes from the locals, which I use on a very regular basis.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have two favourites. 1 is the Dairy cookbook and the second is a creda housecraft manual. Both given to me by my mum and are great for just about everything.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's got to be my trusty Be-Ro Recipe Book. Full of simple bullet proof instructions and lots of handy tips and info.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Str4berr3
    Str4berr3 Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    At the moment it has to be Jamie Olivers books, especially the lastest one; Jamie Dinners, easy peasy and well recomended.
    And for baking it would be Nigella Lawson,' How to be a Domestic Goddess'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport