PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

recipe book recommendations please

Options

Comments

• aurorahelios
    aurorahelios Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm another one with a weakness for cookery books, my favourites and most well used are

Indian every day - Anjum Anand

Good housekeeping - I've got 3; an ancient one printed in the 1950s borrowed from my Mum; the step by step one and a newish one. All have something to offer.

Tesco recipe collection- Tesco used to print a monthly recipe book which a relative of mine collected, as they very rarely cook it has become a mainstay in my kitchen. It is great because it has a wide range of recipes.
  • trace-j
    trace-j Posts: 783 Forumite
    Options
    Murtle wrote:
    So is mine!! also from Catering eduction.....I'm on my third copy as people keep borrowing it long term and never returning them :(

It's fantastic though!!

How dare they!!! At £20 a throw a few non returns must equal a knock on the door!!!!!!!!!!!
    :idea:I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about:idea:
  • lswwong
    lswwong Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    My absolute favourite cookery read has to be "Saveur" magazine from the US. It combines cuisine, travel and culture and for an American publication, has an exceptionally international and open outlook. https://www.saveur.com. This magazine is big on authentic cuisine and high quality food journalism. Check out their website. The stories and recipies will keep you fascinated for ages!

I always thought Ken Hom's "Tastes of China" is the most authentic and beautiful Chinese cook book written in English ever produced. Unfortunately, my ex spilled cranberry juice all over my copy ..... (and that's why he is an "ex"!).

I love Jamie's cookery videos/DVDs. Watching him cook/create is great entertainment for me.
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    trace-j wrote:
    How dare they!!! At £20 a throw a few non returns must equal a knock on the door!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I was too excited at getting a new version, without the greasy marks etc....obviously in me pre-MSE days....now I wouldn't lend it ;)
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    I have way too many cookbooks but to be honest most of them don't get used very often. The one that does (and is therefore my favourite) is 'Appetite' by Nigel Slater - a fantastic cookbook for everyday eating. Much more than just recipes, it also has advice on what's in season each month, what equipment you should have and different cooking methods. Highly recommended.
    You can read the index on amazon usa:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0609610783/ref=sib_rdr_idx/102-0340650-9405742?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S0CH&j=0#reader-page

-
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The original Paupers Cookbook is my all time favourite and I now have two copies as I thought I'd lost mine and managed to get another on e-bay, then I found my old one down the back of the sofa :D

I have over 80 cookbooks and this is still my all time favourite.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It looks like a good book to pack into the new uni student's surviavl kit along with the Be-Ro book :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think mine would be one that I have made myself with recipes that we all love and oldies from family and friends. It's still evolving. Also a book that we were made to get at high school called Day to Day cookery book has been great. A basic recipe book great for starters with no fail recipes in it. I still use it, looks a wee bit sad around edges now though.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Options
    I have loads of cookery books as well but faves are;

For students or when feeling really poor;
    Grub on a Grant by Cas Clarke
    Cooking in a Bedsitter by Katherine Whitehorn (these would make excellent pressies for someone going to uni. I still use mine all the time)

For the slow cooker;
    The Slowcooker cookbook by Gina Steer

For everyday
    Meals in Minutes by Ainsley Harriot
    (Barbecue Bible is good too)
  • greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of following recipies - I'm more of a bung it in and see cook :D - but the internet has to be my biggest source of inspiration (here mostly!) and my Mum's 1971 GHI cookbook with no covers and half a contents page for the basics :D - I "borrowed" it when I left home aged 17 and I've been using it to tell me how long to cook carrots &c for ever since! :D

I love reading Nigella's books, but I've not cooked from any of them directly.
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport