Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    roonaldo wrote: »
    sales prior to 14 Jan 12.
    Surely you mean 2005?
  • Teenybee
    Options
    I too have received the standard letter saying that I ticked the box in-store, it was a non-advised sale, 30 day cooling off period, etc, etc.

However, I still have the carbon copy of my card application as given to me in store in 1997 (found during a long overdue clearout of the loft ;)) which clearly shows that I did not tick the infamous PPI box. I enclosed a photocopy of this with my complaint form but this has obviously not even been looked at before issuing the standard rejection. The letter I have received says that a copy of the agreement is enclosed - but it wasn't. It would have been interesting to see if a tick has appeared on the application/agreement form after it left me!

The letter is marked as a final response but I plan to have another go with Santander; again enclosing a photocopy of the agreement without the ticked box.

Does anyone have any contact details at Santander that might be useful to send my letter to, or do I just go back to the PPI claims department?

Any advice gratefully appreciated - many thanks.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    final response means they will not bother looking at anything else from you.
    send your complaint to the FOS
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • abaygirl
    Options
    I too contacted Santander about a loan orignally taken out with GE Capital Bank. Got the ' sarcastic' rejection letter and was directed , like everyone else in this thread, to the FLA.

The FLA just up held Santanders decision so I thought what the hell...send this to the FOS. This was about 6 weeks ago.
    Two weeks ago I had a letter from a company called Genworth. The letter had the account number I had re: PPI and Genworth stated that they couldn't find the account or my details. Well no they wouldn't ..my account was with GE Capital Bank / Santander.

I have written to the FOS again pointing out their ' mistake' and asking them to look again at the complaint against Santander.

Don't bode well when the FOS instructs a company I have never heard of or had any dealings with to look at my complaint.
  • Teenybee
    Teenybee Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Just to update that I decided to write to Santander, direct to the Complaints Dept, and enclosed another photocopy of my agreement showing that the box was not ticked.

They have now responded and are upholding my complaint. Their copy of the agreement does show the PPI box to be ticked, which must have been done after it left me.

They have offered refund of premiums plus interest and loss of cash payment so I am absolutely delighted
    :T
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been trying to claim PPI for my friend who is deaf. She was sold several store cards a few years ago, 5 of them with PPI. She has not worked for the last 18 years, and would not have been able to understand the sale fully due to her disability.

All now with Santander:
    Monsoon: refunded with the first complaint letter.
    Top Shop: As above

She has heard today that she is being sent a cheque for £1610 for a Laura Ashley PPI-this did take several letters to and fro.

So we are left with Debenhams & Dorothy Perkins, I have a massive file on correspondence sent, copies of NI paid from 1998 to date etc.

Santander (for Dorothy Perkins) have now said that they accept my friend wasn't working-from NI statement, but they say that as her husband was the breadwinner at the time the application was taken out, he became the claimant????

How can that be? He was not with her at the time the card was applied for in the shop, he was not a secondary card holder or anything. On the application it was not noted that she was a housewife and her husband was working?
    They now want a copy of his NI paid when the application was made.

He was in a job where he would be paid for 6 months in full, then half pay for 6 months, and I can see a PPI taken out in her name paying out for his sickness at work after he'd been off for a year??????
    To add to the matter, he has now passed away.

Anyway I have written back covering above, not sure where I'll go next though!
    :j
  • Strontiumdog
    Options
    I wonder if I can pick your brains a little.

Last week I phoned Santander Cards UK Ltd (after being given the run around from every department in Santander) and spoke to someone in a call centre ( I presume it was in India ) and told him I believed that I had been mis-sold PPI on my Burton's store card in 1998. After taking my account details he put me on hold for around 5 minutes before coming back on to tell me that the complaint would be acknowledged within 5 days. I asked him did he not want to know the circumstances of why I thought it was mis sold to me, he said that would not be required as it would be passed to an 'investigation' team. ('ummhmm' I thought).

So today I receive a letter and a copy of my agrement stating that hey have looked into my claim, final response etc etc and in essence its the same standard letter they have sent you all. Now, even if I had any intention of stopping there the bit that got my back up was 'However, if any of the matters that you suggest took place, you would have been able to call at any time in the first 30 days....'.

'Matters that you suggest'...hmm I am sorry, I never got allowed to tell you what 'Matters' I was suggesting. Which indicates to me that they pulled my file and copied it and along with the standard letter forward it onto me without asking what evidence I had or doing any kind of 'investigation'.

So to clarify my 'matters'

1. When I took out the store card I was serving in the RAF. I had no need for payment protection. and indeed I have never had any on any other card, loan etc etc in my entire life. To highlight, I had cancer in 2010 which ment I was off work for over a year.....on full pay (I did not need to try and claim PPI!!). I served between 1989 and 2011.

2. When I applied for the store card I was informed that if I took the protection I would have a better chance of getting credit accepted, not knowing any better I must have agreed.

3. During my service I have had periods outside the UK (3 years in Cyprus, Iraq etc) and from what I understand that the PPI would have been even more useless to me during these periods.

4. An examination of the so called PPI box, shows a what could be tick, but it is not within any box, it actually looks like a line drawn through the payment and protection paragraph with a tick added to the end.......hmmm See below.(Sorry I cant post a scan of it as I am new user...)

So on the basis on that do you think I have a claim to pursue? and who too next? Back to Santander, FLA or FOS?

Thoughts welcome!
  • -taff
    Options
    You do, but it was pre-regulation, so you can refuse their interpetation, but they can dismiss your complaint straightaway.
    Le tthem know your reasons for dispute, but don't spend any money yet.
  • BabyButton
    Options
    I had an Asda store card that was paid off in 2006. I sent a complaint form to Santander and they just wrote back saying they can't proceed without an account number, yet I've given them every other detail about possible. As the 6 year limit is nearly up, I'm thinking this is a stalling tactic?
  • -taff
    Options
    Companies only have to keep records as long as necessary, then they can destroy them. Typically it's 6 years but it can be more or less. There is no limit.
    It;s not a stalling tactic, you just haven't understood the complaints process and what to do.

GE money were responsible for the card in 2006, so check who you should be complaining to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure