Return to Solvency

Options

Comments

• NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good to hear that all is well Granny, and hope you feel 100% soon. The job sounds perfect and so happy you are planning another trip to Oz:)
    xx
    NOA
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • grannyx2
    grannyx2 Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thought I'd pop in and say:hello: as its been a while 😊 I've been a member for 4 years now and it's nearly 5 years since my LBM and nearly 10 since my mini one! 😳

Life is ticking along at its normal pace with little news on the debt front.

My hours in work have increased this week so moving forward I should be able to save for Oz.

Yesterday I was given a 20% pay rise in recognition of how hard I work and how much my boss needs my help. It was totally unexpected and I was told by the MD, who said he'd heard good things about me from my colleagues, both close and remote. To say I was chuffed was an understatement!

I'm now actually on a higher hourly rate than my old job, after just 6 months in the business and the level of stress is simply incomparable. I could work full time if I wanted but have decided to stay as I am, (3.5/4 days pw) but may stick at that level even when my colleague comes back in a year.

It simply is so nice to be rewarded for good work, something that rarely happened in the CS.

Family life is much the same. I don't see my DGC very often, what with work, OHs shifts, school and other after school commitments. I'm a little hurt that my DS doesn't make more of an effort but know that as the DGC get older it'll get easier.

Dear little kitty cat is an absolute delight. He was definitely one of the best decisions I made whilst in Oz. He makes the house more of a home and OH is certainly less grumpy with him around.

I can't believe I've been back from Oz a year now, (landed a year ago today). I miss DD terribly and would go back at the drop of a hat if finances allowed.

Anyway, hope life is good with any readers

Lots of love Granny ❤️
    Targets
    Trip to Australia (On hold until 2022 now) to meet new grandson born jan 21!

Lose 84lbs. Update (minus 65lbs mostly during lockdown as of 18.05.21)

LBM : July 11 - £56,962
    DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/3958715/return-to-solvency/p1
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,647 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great to hear from you Granny & I am glad that life is treating you so well.
    Can't believe it is a year since you were in Oz~~where does the time go?
    Hope that you can go again soon :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Great to read your update Granny:)
    Brilliant news on the payrise, :T but often it is the recognition that means more, to have both and be appreciated is amazing :j
    Sorry you are not seeing DGC often enough but glad that Kitty is there to fill the gap a little :)

As to missing DD, I can't imagine how it would feel to be so far away - I see my DD every few weeks and that's too long for me. I have got used to it now but there are days that I still feel totally overcome by the emptiness.

Love 'n hugs
    NOA
    xx
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely to hear from you Granny. How is the weight going? I'm amazed it's a year already! Hope the debts fall quickly.
    Good luck with saving for your next trip.
    V x
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • grannyx2
    edited 23 February 2020 at 10:55AM
    Options
    Hello forum 🤣

over the last couple of weeks I’ve been receiving emails from past DFD’s on here. Not sure why they’ve suddenly popped up but made me a tad nostalgic.

It’s been 4 years since I last posted and so much has changed.

Finances: 
    OH is debt free, having realised his investments finally. 
    We are mortgage free!
    The only debt I have is on 0% interest payment plans and being paid at £5 per month collectively. I get letters a few times a year offering me 70% off settlements but I don’t have the £ to do that!

Other than that I get letters once a year asking me to make contact to update my financial statement. So for now I’m happy to continue paying this daft amount. OH knows about £11k of the £21k, not sure how this happened but I’m not going to stress him out unnecessarily. DD has been told to clear it out of my life insurance, which is left in trust to her & DS, if not cleared before then.

Family:

I’m now a Granny to 4 plus 3 step grandchildren 

DD got married and had a beautiful little girl last Christmas. We were fortunate to be able to fly out to Australia to spend her first days with her and DD has been great at nurturing our relationship. I’m hoping to fly out for a month at the end of the year. Her husband (the chiropractor) has 3 children of his own.

DS still lives locally. We have a very strained relationship and hardly ever see him or DGC. DGD1 was 13 this year and is a beautiful girl. 

Kitty continues to bring much joy to our lives. 

Work:
    I was promoted a few times over the last 4 years, eventually running a team of 5. The job was incredibly stressful (my fault for allowing it to turn into a career rather than just the job it was supposed to be, but hard not to show your abilities) and I decided just before Christmas to pack it in. It wasn’t an easy decision as the £ was good but my health and sanity is more important. OH was fully supportive (having retired himself in April last year) 
    We are now living a happy, fairly low spend life and it’s good. We get on better than we ever have, now we’re not stressed about work and £.

DM turned 80 this year and alternates between being lovely and vitriolic!

Health: 

I have had a few issues over the past 18 months that have mostly been caused by stress. I decided it was time to get back to focusing on me and my mind before something serious happened 

Weight:

Sadly the 3.5 stone I lost crept back on with the stresses of the last 2.5 years. I ended up heavier than before so am back on DD’s restricted Keto diet plan, albeit with a few more calories. 2 weeks in and I’ve already lost 12lbs. Once again I’m keeping it quiet from DD, hoping to surprise her later this year.

I’m off now to read a few diaries and see if any of the old gang are still around.

Pop in and post if you are

lots of love Granny

(I don’t like this new forum as I can’t see who’s posted when, so I’m adding a date to this post 22-2-20)

Targets

DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Brilliant to see an update from you Granny, and great that all is mostly well with you. Granny x7! Fantastic Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,647 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good to see you  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • piquant
    piquant Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Granny is that really you? It's been a long time since we nattered! Piq x
  • grannyx2
    edited 23 February 2020 at 11:08PM
    Options
    Hi Lucky, Beanie & Piq lovely to have you pop by. It really is me ❤️ Life was pretty hectic until before Christmas so something needed to give. Now life has blissfully slowed down to a realistic pace and I feel I have got the energy to ‘chat’ to people who saw me through some of the worst times. I hope life is treating you well 

love Granny x
    Targets

DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback