Co-operative Bank-reclaiming bank charges

Options

Comments

• bellerophon995
    Options
    Hi all,

I have received an itemised list of charges from the co-op dating from 2001 to 2007 with columns relating to Date, Commission, Debit Interest, Fees and Fees Refund. Heres an example:

21 SEP 01 COMMISSION 118.00
    21 SEP 01 DEBIT INTEREST 2.97
    25 SEP 01 FEES 30.00
    01 OCT 01 FEES 36.00

On checking my statements I find the following:

21 SEP 01 SERVICE CHARGE 10.00
    21 SEP 01 DAILY EXCESS CHARGE 108.00
    21 SEP 01 DEBIT INTEREST 2.97
    25 SEP 01 COMMISSION 30.00
    01 OCT 01 COMMISSION 30.00
    01 OCT 01 SUBSCRIPTION 6.00

Can anyone tell me from the above example what I can and cannot claim back as unfair charges please?

Thanx...

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • BLUESUNSHINE_2
    Options
    you can't claim debit interest back and possibly not the subscription ( is this a subscription for a certain type of bank account e.g privilege account ?).Everything else you can claim back .
    Hope this helps
  • dazrama3
    dazrama3 Posts: 25 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I just went for the whole hog....I see what they will offer me.
  • Billygirl_2
    Options
    I'm helping my brother claim charges from Co-op. He has lots of "daily excess" charges, which vary from around £15 to £45 each month. I understand these are for interest for when he went over his bank account. Can I claim for these?

Many thanks for your help.
  • BLUESUNSHINE_2
    Options
    Yes you can claim for these .You wouldnt be paying daily interest on these charges if they hadnt charged you in the first place
  • BLUESUNSHINE_2
    Options
    MCOL now sent 5 mins ago . Fingers crossed ,lets see what happens
  • mark1964
    Options
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts Co-op Statement Help

hi, ive received information from the co-op bank with regards a list of charges with relation to my account.im a bit unsure on what to claim.the reason for this is that it is not like a normal statement reads. I have five columns at the top of the page.the columns are :

commission, commission refund, debit interest, fees, fees refund .

at the bottom of the page I have 5 totals. do I claim the total amount of commission and debit interest and fees and subtract the commission refund and fees refund from the total amount.
    can anyone help
    thanks

Last edited by mark1964 : 27-04-2007 at 9:06 PM.
  • lozza_76
    lozza_76 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    We had a confusing list too, so just claimed for the ones that were 15, 25, 35 quid etc, then added interest. After the first letter where they asked for 40 days to respond we had to call to ask why no-one had responded within that time, then last week received another letter saying they needed another 40 days. So today we sent the final letter threatening court action within 14 days as we had not received a satisfactory response. I think they're just stalling as much as possible to put off people who can't be bothered to see it through to the end. Am fully prepared to go to the MCOL stage though.
  • dazrama3
    dazrama3 Posts: 25 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I phoned the Co-op bank over the weekend in relation to some charges I have accrued after sending the letter asking for the reclaim. I wanted to ask if they could be added to the existing amount I've asked to be returned. I was told that 'Customer Care' - a department that you cannot speak to, who handle these complaints can only receive and handle enquiries via letter. That annoyed me - but I knew that - so I asked - as I couldn't speak to them, could somebody from customer services speak to them on my behalf because I wasn't willing to send another letter.

I also mentioned that I was annoyed with the standard letter I recieved in relation to my last letter (asking for the charges and enclosing a breakdown). It states that they will reply in 40 days and bears no relation to my letter which specifically requested a reply within 14 days. I know this is a standard letter - probably produced by someone hitting a key on their keyboard - but neverless I thought it was ridiculous. I'm also not particularly interested in knowing about a backlog - I don't believe it to be my problem.

Anyway - I was told that 'Customer Care' do not work at weekends. It annoyed me - slightly - I'm assuming they have a lot of these reclaims to deal with and they are obviously not going out of their way to sort them out quickly. While 'Customer Services' are working over the weekend - 'Customer Care' have very different hours.

I asked the man from Customer Services to put a note on my account regarding the charges I wanted adding to my claim. He didn't suggest this but I thought it sounded like the only thing I could do.

I called again today and once again they were unable to tell me if I could add the recent charges to my existing claim. This time the man I spoke to suggested he put another message on the system in relation to my call.

Does anyone know if they will do this automatically? Will they add any recent charges on to a reclaim?

I keep calling the Co-op because I want to them to know that I will following my claim through to the bitter end!

...also, I don't seem to see many cases of people claiming money from the Co-op - sure I've seen a few but not near as many as the other banks. It makes me a tad bothered that they will drag this out. Seems silly really - as up until now I am not claiming interest - but I will do if I take them to court. By delaying my claim it will result in them paying out more.

It's just very odd.
  • ryannorfolk
    ryannorfolk Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I've sent the second letter to the coop on the 26 March asking for “a full response to this letter within 14 days”. I’ve had a reply from them telling me they will be in touch within the next 4 weeks and if more time is needed they’ll let me know. Do you think I should I keep the pressure up, or give them the time they want and wait for them to get back to me?

I sent the “7 days before action letter” to them, but I put 14 days rather than 7. I’ve had another reply today saying they are looking into my complaint, but they need another 4 weeks dated from this new reply. They say they are within FSA guidelines, is this correct? Should I just take the next step? I sent the repay request back on the 30/01/07; they’ve had 3 months so far. Thanks again for all the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure