Co-operative Bank-reclaiming bank charges

Options

Comments

• dazrama3
    dazrama3 Posts: 25 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I’ve got over 2400 charges on a 2000 overdraft! They’ve had their money in interest and fees. It feels like they’ve been keeping me in debt. Keep up the good fight everyone.

This is how I feel.

I am so angry at them for keeping me in debt. I've had a really bad time financially over the past few years and I've only just managed to clear my overdraft. It's taken me sooo long to get there.

The occasions where they charged me several amounts caused me so much misery at the time. It kept getting worse.

I could have cleared up this mess a long time ago if I was charged fairly!

EVERYONE must keep up the good work.
  • Margi.Magpie
    Options
    Hi

My experience so far has been very similar with the Co-op - they denied receiving my letter asking for statements, then sent the stuff anyway before I sent a copy. Then they've sent me the list of charges rather than statements - I asked them to take the money out of my account so haven't had a cheque back but will be looking to see if they've taken the £10.

Again, on the list of charges it gives both 'commission' and 'fees' - am I right in thinking I can claim both???

Thanks for your help,

Margi.Magpie x
  • BLUESUNSHINE_2
    Options
    Hi , anyone got an opinion or advice as to what i should do next ??

Ive sent 2 claims in to The Cooperative bank for 2 different periods over the last 6 years .
    The first claim was recieved by them on 26th March and the other claim was recieved by them 2nd April.
    Regarding the first claim , i recieved a letter back dated 28th march saying that someone would be in touch within 4 weeks although they had 8 weeks to resolve my complaint .I sent the 2nd stage letter out 10th April (which they recieved next day) stating that if i didnt recieve a refund within 14 days ( by 25th April) then i would start legal proceedings .I still havent heard from them so should i immediately proceed to MCOL ???

Regarding the second claim , i recieved a letter off them stating the same as the other letter .I sent my 2nd stage letter on 14th April giving them 14days or legal action .

So there you have it , what do you all think ??? should i start legal proceeding on the first claim now ???? or wait until the end of their 8 week deadline for resolving my claim ???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  • chaos1
    Options
    Just a little warning to people that the co-operative bank (the so called ethical one) will charge you £15 to renew an existing overdraft. They say this is to cover admin charges etc. My wife is a long time customer of theirs and had a small overdraft facility of just £100 with them. Out of the blue she got a letter telling her of their intention to impose this charge within the week. Suspecting that renewing the overdraft probably consisted of someone pressing a single key on a computer (if that) she queried the charge and asked them for a breakdown of the cost. All she got was a letter back stating that they are not under any obligation to explain their charges and that they were withdrawing her overdraft as of the following day. Remember...banks are the enemy...they are not your friends. Their job is to take your money, make more money with it, then give you a little back and keep the rest, if you're lucky.:cool:
  • dazrama3
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I rang the Co-op today....just to inform them that I had sent a letter asking for the charges back. The woman I spoke to was helpful but incorrect. I told her I need a reply in 14 days...she got confused and said 40 days. I told her 'no way' and she went off and spoke to Customer Care - which is a farce because has anyone actually spoken to them? I haven't been able to.

When she got back to me she said that I would receive a reply within the 14 days. ...which is fine but I won't allow the 14 days to expire before I call them again.

I think the key is to be persistant...although time will tell. I will keep you all posted.
  • bellerophon995
    Options
    manda1578 wrote: »
    The co op have sent me a letter and enclosing dates, commission, then debit interest and the last column is fees, so I am quite confused which columns I should claim back from can anyone help me understand this?
    same here but i already had the original statements to cross reference and some of the entries on their list correspond to two different entries on my statements i.e. in the commission column they state £118 but the statement states service charge = £10 and daily excess charge = £108 plus there's a debit interest column of £2.97 then there's a fees column of £30 whereas on the original statement it says commission £30. Anyone know which bits are illegal/refundable??? please help....
  • dazrama3
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I am sooo annoyed. Some money came out of my Co-op account early and I found out this morning via telephone banking that they charged me £35 yesterday.

As you can imagine, I got straight on the phone and complained. I asked for the charges back - the guy said no - it's in my terms and conditions. I was not happy so I said 'OK - give me a breakdown of that charge'. He went away and came back, unsuprisingly he was unable to give me a breakdown. Now why is that?..ha ha!

Anyway, I already have a claim for over £2600 which they WILL pay me back as I fully prepared to take the court route if I have to....and I will get this £35 back as well. I was waiting for him to say 'well you don't have to bank with us then?'...which I would have responded with 'all of the banks are overcharging their customers and anyway I worked for the Co-op years ago and was forced into opening an account with them as an employee you had to!"
  • dazrama3
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I got 2 letters today in the post. The first stating that I was going to be charged £35 for overdrawing - NICE! - the second stating that they would deal with my reclaim letter within 40 days. Quite frankly I am not willing to wait 40 days before getting in touch. I have my parachute account set up and the sooner I get my money back, the sooner I will close down the account.
  • BLUESUNSHINE_2
    Options
    I'm filling out and submitting my MCOL this weekend .Ive gave the coop bank plenty of notice and they just keep fobbing me off .
  • BLUESUNSHINE_2
    Options
    Anybody on here actually taken the coop bank down the legal process yet ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure