Orchid V4, V4+ and Ranger 400 phone users - Discussion

Comments

• rapido
    rapido Posts: 392 Forumite
    . .
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    rapido wrote: »
    Just thinking, shouldn't the IDD code +800 (dialled 00 800) be routed via BT (as with the domestic free to call services)?

-rapido
    Having thought about it, I have realised that the program specifies that all '00' (international) calls are routed via 18185 and, as 18185 does not carry international freephone numbers, any call to a (18185)00800 number will fail.

That being the case, I will add a 'CPS override' Routing (which is really 'insert 1280 prefix to send calls via BT') for 00800 calls (to send them over BT as you suggest) as part of the next update.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

INCLUDED IN THE 25/3/07 PROGRAM UPDATE
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz
    Forumite
    As the program already bars '09' (premium rate) and '070' (personal number) dialling, it follows that it should also bar dialling the international premium rate code (00979).

Accordingly, that was the third change included in the 25/3/07 program update.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz, many thanks for the latest Orchid update and suggestions.

It's been pointed out to me that 18185's service for non-BT users via 0808 1 703 703 provides an even cheaper route to 0870 numbers - see http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php - 3ppm weekdays (inc. eves) and 1ppm weekends (with 5p connection charge).

Surely everyone (who is registered with 18185) can access this 0808 number or am I missing something here?

V
  • Heinz
    Forumite
    Good spot Victor_Delta.

In fact, it's better than that - calling via 18185's cable subscribers' 0808 1 703 703 gateway number only incurs a 4p connection charge.

The differences are therefore:

Weekdays
    181858888--885p connection + 6p/minute
    08081703703--4p connection + 5p/minute - beware, their web site says 3p/minute!
    BT 888888--883p connection + 7p/minute

Evenings
    18185888--88 5p connection + 4p/minute
    08081703703--4p connection + 5p/minute - beware, their web site says 3p/minute!
    BT
    ---3p connection + 3½p/minute

Weekends
    18185 88-888 5p connection + 2p/minute
    08081703703 -4p connection + 1p/minute
    BT888888 88883p connection + 1½p/minute

You're right, 0808 1 703 703 is a clear winner weekdays and weekends.

As you know, the program sends all dialled 080x calls out with a 1280 prefix* - so they go via BT. However, there isn't a '128008081703703' Carrier Code on the CW Client database at the moment so, after
    I've experimented to find out how many seconds pause are necessary after the end of dialling of the gateway number (i.e. before starting to dial the target number can commence), I'll discuss this possible change with Orchid.

I already know that, if more than a one second pause is necessary, it won't be possible to add such a Carrier Code - because the maximum number of characters is 16. If so, it'll be a question of deciding whether to risk leaving out the 1280 prefix.

* Primus went through a period of charging for 0800 and 0808 (freephone) calls in error and, although customers obtained refunds without difficulty, this programming eliminates the possibility.
  • Heinz
    Forumite
    For those who program their own Orchids, there are a number of Routing codes in the drop down list on CW Client which, at first sight, may appear to be the one you need for 'translating' 118??? to your chosen carrier.

However, there is only one which is suitable for the 'digit translation' most users want to use - to convert the dialling of 118xxx to the chosen service (I recommend selecting 118226 [or 1280118226] from the Carrier code drop down list because that has a fixed fee of 23½p for up to two enquiries).

The Routing code is 118*1*9
  • Heinz wrote: »
    I already know that, if more than a one second pause is necessary, it won't be possible to add such a Carrier Code - because the maximum number of characters is 16. If so, it'll be a question of deciding whether to risk leaving out the 1280 prefix.
    Thanks for taking this on Heinz.

I see that the existing carrier list includes 08081703703 with options for 0, 3, 4 and 5 second pauses (assuming each # is one second). Primus haven't charged me for any 0800 or 0808 calls (I've only been with them for a few months) so I will try using the 3 second pause option and see how I get on with it.

Thanks again,

V
  • Heinz
    Forumite
    Yes, each # in the Carrier Codes = a one second dialling pause. A few crude experiments today - dialling 08081703703 and counting the gap between the last digit being dialled and the first word of 'Welcome' being heard - appears to show that between 3 and 4 seconds pause will be necessary (so I think that knocks the possibility of using a new 128008081703703# Carrier Code on the head straight away).

I use a variation of 'the Heinz Program' myself so I'm going the use the 08081703703#### Carrier Code for a month or so but, as (of course) I hardly ever make 0870 calls, I've programmed that Carrier Code for my wife's calls to her sister in Spain (it's the same as using the 18185 prefix - 1p/minute).

If you'll report back on here or by PM how you get on with the 3 second pause (I suppose the real test is 'failures'), I'd appreciate it.

One thing I had trouble with was changing the Host IP address (as mentioned on Page 11 of the Quick Start User Guide).

What that page says should happen just didn't for me - so I had to change it manually:

Click start, then on Search, then on For Files or Folders.

A 'Search Results' box appear. Click on All files and folders and 3 white boxes appear on the left for you to enter information. The cursor should be flashing in the top one and, in there, type CWClient.ini

Leave the centre box empty and check that the bottom one reads Local Hard Drives (C).

Click Search

The file will be found quite quickly (the one with the Type Configuration Settings). Double click on it and a new box CWClient.ini - Notepad box bill open showing the file's content:

[Server]
    Host=http://82.68.122.157/
    WebServer=Dial/CWServer.dll/

If the numbers on the second line are different, change them to read exactly as above. Then click File, Save.

That's the end of that - now you should be able to log into your CW Client account using your User Name and Password.

Now the fun starts.

When the CW Client window opens, click on Product (the yellow telephone on the left), then Search.

Select search field will be blued - select Product from the drop-down menu and then Set operator will be blued. Select > and Type required value will be blued. Press the space bar once to empty that field and click Add and then Apply

You should then see a line detailing your dialler appear - double click it and you're ready to check your Active Routing Table and construct a new New Routing Table.
  • Thanks Heinz, I'll let you know how it goes. However, like you, I don't make many 0870 calls either (since it's usually possible to find alternative numbers using the 'say no to 0870' website).

Anyway, I have already programmed my Orchid with the 3# pause carrier code and a couple of test calls to 0870 numbers worked fine. So it looks promising.

I just hope 18185 don't see a huge rise in the number of calls being routed this way and consequently decide to revise the rates upwards...!

V

PS Presumably I don't need to tell you that you could be doing better than 1ppm to Spain, especially if you have an O2 mobile in the household with inclusive minutes - see http://niftylist.co.uk/calls/to/spain/landline/
  • Heinz
    Forumite
    I've been advised that, due to an office move at Orchid, CW Client will be unavailable until at least Thursday (17/5/07) lunchtime - possibly longer, if the cabling or the router don't play ball.

15:00 Tuesday 29/5/07 - CW CLIENT NOW BACK ONLINE AGAIN.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure