Orchid V4, V4+ and Ranger 400 phone users - Discussion

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    It may be forever but the problem is that, when you dial the number, one of the first things you hear is the 'requirement' to go to the website and register - and some (many?) will.

I don't want to be the cause of that.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Victor_Delta
    Victor_Delta Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OK, I don't disagree although I would have thought that most MSEers, who use Orchid boxes, are savvy enough to cope with that perhaps (especially as 23.5p per call is saved!).

However, it's still perhaps worth mentioning on the text version of your recommended list so those who want to use it can do so?

V
  • mbailey
    mbailey Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Heinz wrote:
    As you will have seen, I posted in this thread on 13/2/07 that I had updated the program. That was so those with a subscription to this thread but not registered for the Orchid service would receive an e-mail (from the MSE forum) within which was a link to the new post. That new post contained a link to the program - in which the change is highlighted and obvious.

Can I suggest that simply subscribing to this thread would achieve almost exactly what you want - to automatically be made aware of any updates to the basic program but not have them imposed upon you.

The problem with this is that lots of discusions also take place in this thread, so you would get a subscription email for all posts, and and just when you do updates to the main program.

Would it be possible to have a dedicated thread that only you post to (I guess you can't stop other people posting, but a very LARGE message in red might help.)

Just a thought...
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    mbailey wrote:
    The problem with this is that lots of discusions also take place in this thread, so you would get a subscription email for all posts, and and just when you do updates to the main program.

Would it be possible to have a dedicated thread that only you post to (I guess you can't stop other people posting, but a very LARGE message in red might help.)

Just a thought...
    Good idea, and Heinz pm'd me so I have split the threads and the Heinz Programme thread is now closed and will only be posted on by Heinz with updates :)
  • obvious
    obvious Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good idea, and Heinz pm'd me so I have split the threads and the Heinz Programme thread is now closed and will only be posted on by Heinz with updates :)

:eek: Cant subscribe to a closed thread...or am I missing the point somewhere?
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Bother :(

I'll have to open it then and shift posts out of it.
  • Heinz
    OK, I don't disagree although I would have thought that most MSEers, who use Orchid boxes, are savvy enough to cope with that perhaps (especially as 23.5p per call is saved!).

However, it's still perhaps worth mentioning on the text version of your recommended list so those who want to use it can do so?
    Done.
    A free DQ service, funded by making users listen to advertisements when they call, is now available from 118FREE (0800 118 3733). When calling that number, an announcement appears to require pre-registration in order to use the service but, currently, that is not necessary. As a result, some may want to use this free service rather than paying 23½p to call 118226. Nevertheless, for the reasons below and because of the uncertainty about how long registration-free use will be possible, 118226 remains the DQ recommendation in the program.

N.B. I was initially at a loss to understand why a service allegedly funded by subjecting users to advertisements when they call requires any 'registration' whatsoever but the registration page may be a clue. Apart from requiring potential users to provide their telephone number, the unnecessary personal details required would, IMHO, be extremely useful to cold callers, spammers and scammers. Consequently, I suggest readers think long and hard if they consider registering if (when) doing so becomes compulsory.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If anyone is still tempted to dial 123:-

try this first !

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.co.uk/
  • twhitehead
    twhitehead Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I signed my daughter up to Primus so our calls to each other are free at all times. I have this option on my V4, is there any way to incorporate this into the Heinz program? I too find the programming difficult and would welcome any help.
  • Heinz
    I'm not aware that Primus Saver Option 2 gives free calls to other Primus users at all times. AFAIAA, it's free evening and weekend calls to any UK 01/02 number.

If that's the CPS you have, the program will mean weekday daytime calls to your daughter will cost 5p each, regardless of duration because they'll be routed via 18185.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure