❄❄ Let It Snow ❄❄ :: Christmas 2012 Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Well it has taken a good chunk of the day, but everything I made( and the tools I used) have now been emptied, dismantled, flattened and either boxed for the loft or binned. I really can't be bothered to try and sell it. There are no more fayres in the area and I don't think I could face one anyway.
    Then just to make me feel better I went to the camper to get a can of pepsi ( its my hiding place) to discover it has a leak.:mad: I could have cried, but to be honest I just don't care today. There is nothing I can do in this weather anyway. If it is too bad she can go to camper heaven in the new year. She has been a pain in the backside since I got her, and I am not going to spend anymore money on her.
  • msgigglewick
    Options
    Went for a stroll around town this morning, just for something todo really.. and the lions club had a little tent in the middle of the market with santa in... so he spent five mins talking to dd3 and 4.. dd4 was rather shy but she did speak which was nice! and dd3 (shes 10) got all embarressed and when she wouldn't take a sweet from him he said ahhh that must be cause you're on the naughty list! hahahaha he knows her well lol.

Picked up a copy of simon pegs book 'nerd do well' in poundland ... its still £12. 15 on amazon! dh is currently sat reading it, so can't be that bad lol.

Kids are busy making a mess... oops i mean doing xmas crafts and watching xmas films. and im laid on my bed cause i've got a chest infection so im playing the poor me's card! .
    Totally debt free wohooo 2014
    Christmas 2014
    Presents bought **** rrp **** Saved ****
    *SAVE*SAVE*SAVE*
  • Ruth_honey
    Ruth_honey Posts: 2,831 Forumite
    Options
    If you did do it again maybe it would be worth wrapping up some of your gifts and making a lucky dip!

That's a good idea, actually. People may be more likely to go for that.
    don't know why I bother - EVERYTHING I do DS2 trashes it.

made the tree (which I'm not happy with but will do for this year)............ stuck it up .....................3 times so far he has pulled it off the wall (deliberatly)...........taking the paint with it. I've now run out of double sided sticky tape to put it back up and used velcro.

Ds1 (4) thought it was brill and played with it..............for a whole 2 minutes.

The baby-proof christmas tree has about 5 baubles off because DS1 just puts his hands thro the bars and takes them off.

I've had enough - he is refusing to nap the last 2 weeks and instead is mardy, wingy and (more) naughty because he's over tired.
    If I tidy up something and put it away he just goes and gets it and tips it every where again (5 times so far I have picked the sticky foam shapes up)
    If I try to tell him off (there's only so much that works on a 19m old) then he just laughs and does it again.

I'm convinced DS1 wasn't this bad at his age. Makes me not want to do anything fun with him but then DS1 misses out because we never have any time to do nice fun things.

Oh Chicky...it must be driving you crazy. Not the same, I know, but I'm sick of telling Blossom to stop biting the tree and trying to climb on the presents underneath it (which I've attempted to pile up in a way that she can't climb on!)

She's now started scratching at the wall right by the door in her room. She gets put in there at night because we can't leave her to wander round the house due to tree/tinsel eating and she can't come in our room until is cleared out & cleaned properly. Too many potential hazards for a curious kitten at the moment. Anyway, she's fine overnight, but in the morning when she wakes up, she scratches at the wall. I don't want to go to her and tell her off because then she'll associate doing that with me coming to her. But there's no way of blocking it off as its right by her door. She's ripped a fair bit of wallpaper off already. All she wants is to be with us. I'm trying to get the bedroom sorted out so she can sleep in there if she wants, but everything takes so much longer with her 'helping'. It's a struggle to have a clear out with her getting under our feet constantly.
    Own_My_Own wrote: »
    Well it has taken a good chunk of the day, but everything I made( and the tools I used) have now been emptied, dismantled, flattened and either boxed for the loft or binned. I really can't be bothered to try and sell it. There are no more fayres in the area and I don't think I could face one anyway.
    Then just to make me feel better I went to the camper to get a can of pepsi ( its my hiding place) to discover it has a leak.:mad: I could have cried, but to be honest I just don't care today. There is nothing I can do in this weather anyway. If it is too bad she can go to camper heaven in the new year. She has been a pain in the backside since I got her, and I am not going to spend anymore money on her.

OMO, things have got to turn around for you soon. It sounds like you're having a right time of it at the moment. Sending bigs hugs-and Pepsi!-to you.
    Cross Stitch Cafe Monthly Challenge Member #27
    12/12/12 challenge-[STRIKE]Season's Greeting Newton's Law[/STRIKE] Christmas polar bear-finished on time! :)
    Thanks to all the girls in the Cross Stitch Cafe! You're all fantastic! :A
  • pinklady1985
    Options
    OMO I have been to 3 xmas fairs the past 2 weeks to hopefully find someone selling things like you have made but have only come across tat to put it politely, your things look very professional and hope you manage to sell more.

haven't been very mse this week :( we had finished our xmas shopping bar vouchers for hubbys side but thanks to his impulsiveness we have now bought the boys a wii u console and games each (was my sales shopping fund so not impressed)

my xmas spirit is dwindling by the day and if it wasn't for the kids honestly wouldn't bother this year not sure why, just feel miserable all the time
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chickywiggle how old are they? DD is being very destructive this week. She was 2 in September and the number of times I have told her to come away from the tree is crazy! She's just climbing over things to get to it. She's broken one ornament, the nativity scene we made, tore a book, got into my makeup tub and wiped foundation on the wall. It's not like I leave her to it, she's just as quick as anything.
    DS is nearly 4 and although they mostly play nicely, there are times all hell is let loose.

You have my sympathies x
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Just read back my last posts and I sound suicidal.

I am Ok.

Mumu (my camper) has been a pain since I got her. She is a 1985 folding camper who likes to spring leaks at every opportunity. She is under tarpaulin and still manages it. My Dad reckons the rain here must go up instead of down, as there is just noway the rain could have got in again. I have decided to strip her down and sell her in bits. My Dad has a proper camper van (one you drive), so I can use that if I want to go away. Have just looked at the site I wanted to go to next year and they have pods you can hire. They are empty, so you have to take your own gear, (which I have). It is like camping under wood instead of canvas, so at least our holiday can still go ahead.

As for my gifts, I will have a look in the new year. Just can't do it now. The wind has been taken out of my sails. (Second party has been cancelled due to lake of interest).

Next year I will be ahead of myself, and I will book some fayres in the town I work in during the day. (I have 2 jobs, and the fayre this year was at the second job). My main job is in a very good area, and they have a lot of fayres, (Tennis club, Golf Club etc).

Ds has taken pity on me and just bought a bag on M&Ms and a bag of Herseys kisses that I didn't use. I didn't want to take the money, but he insisted. No point arguing with him about it. Will treat him to something nice in the week. With him having ASD, this is a very caring act on his part.:)
  • MrsDrink
    MrsDrink Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    Here are some pics of my table at the beginning.Mind you it didn't look a lot different at the end.( Had to use phone as I forgot camera).

Beautiful!!
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aww, sorry to hear that the fayres haven't been going well, there don't seem to be many around my area at the moment - which is a shame because I'd love to buy some of the things I've seen posted on here x

Anyway, it was OH's birthday yesterday, was a fun day and that means I can now concentrate on Christmas - I try not to get too carried away until then as I think it takes away from his day. Still have a few pressies I need to get - am struggling with my grandma in particular. She's in hospital at the moment so really not sure what she is allowed/would need in there.
  • dropsofjupiter
    Options
    I had a first attempt at making Christmas shaped chocolates last night but as they've hardened the majority of them have bloomed :( I think I need more practice with my melting techniques! This batch was going to go into work but I don't think I'll inflict it upon them, just feed them to my brother and his friends instead :D
    Hobnobs are like marines
  • weeclick
    weeclick Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    Options
    I think the bag came on its own from Pounland, and weeclick added the contents, making the gift price £6.

yes the bag itself was from poundland, the rest was bought between poundland, hotel chocolat (my niece LOVES the tiddly pots last time I bought her some I was told I would be the best friend in the world forever haha) and a craft stall at the christmas market :) They even do a white bag more like airmail envelope looking.
    No haven't covered costs:(
    Bought stamps and cutters that weren't cheap.:(

Didn't have any banter at all. They were a miserable lot. Don't know why half of them came. Mostly sold to kids so doubt my cards will even be seen. I was between 2 tombolas, and a lot of people just walked straight past me from one to the other one.
    The PTA lady said it was amazing how people would spend £1 trying to win a £1 price, but were not willing to buy something for £1.

Am not going to get upset. It wont change anything. Just not sure if I want to carry on doing it. Will add some of my things to families presents, but have no idea what I am going to do with the rest.

Here are some pics of my table at the beginning.Mind you it didn't look a lot different at the end.( Had to use phone as I forgot camera).

Such a shame the fete didnt work out for you OMO, youve such amazing stuff so Im sure it wasnt what you were selling and more like a lack of christmas spirit in general. Really is a shame! I went to the craft stall lady again last night at our local christmas market (most other stalls are clothes / foreign foods etc) she sells alot of small favors and christmas items and she was saying how well shes done (this is her first time there) not only did she struggle to keep up with people buying (literally making up more favours and table decorations / cracker prizes behind her stall on the go!) but shes decided to try and get a stall next year as well, so keep the faith the right stall is out there for you and I can imagine you being just as rushed off your feet next year if you can get to better fetes!

Well we went to tesco today, decided to try a bigger store near to the farm shop we use each week (its a 30 mile round trip just for the farm shop but compared to a weeks shopping in tesco we still manage to save about £40 weekly!) and THANKFULLY this tescos had frozen turkeys, not sure why ours didnt as its a tesco extra but never the less Im pleased we have it in the freezer now, I dont have to cancel christmas which i was threatening to do if tescos didnt get turkeys in :rotfl: Also got frozen sprouts, gammon joint and chocolate oranges for the stockings. We were able to use £20 of tesco £1 token books which we started saving on from last month so that helped out loads! Just fresh veg to get now and we are almost done, alot of it though we cant get until the weekend before christmas!

I started to tidy and clear kitchen cupboards (how mugs end up where glasses should be and bread where baking stuff should be is beyond me lol) Found a bag of cashew and peanuts which I just emptied into a festive cello bag to put with my sisters mini food hamper Im making her, thought it was quite MSE of me as I wasnt keen on them and would of ended up in the bin otherwise! Now got the dry food cupboard to do so goodness knows what she will end up with lol :T

Is it me or has it got REALLY cold today? Theres no snow here but you almost feel it should be snowing its that cold! Im sure you've all seen / heard of the riots in Belfast over the last week, well of course we got stuck right smack bang in the middle of it today so took an extra hour to get home, police and protestors surrounding the car, never been so pleased to stick the heating on, pjs and the christmas tree!

Hope everyone else is well and plans coming along!
    Life is what you make it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport