We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spill the beans...on which firms ignore your 'no cold callers sign'

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• kevbrock76
    Options
    Massive range of responses here. I am a Kleeneze distributor (and here in peace as well as posting in my own right and not as part of them), in fact, the main reason is because I am looking further into cold calling and seeking where things do actually stand.

I see that opinion here is pretty split. Guidance from the Direct Selling Association suggests that, because we follow industry codes of practce (carry ID, cooling off periods etc.) we should be able to call on houses. Indeed, advice from the OFT is fairly contradictory in itself. Local authority guidance is just as contradictory.

Personally, I do have customers who have No Cold Calling signs up. Some of these also have the MSE sign, but this has been when I have simply delivered a catalogue through the letterbox, not by knocking at the door.

I always, ALWAYS, go back when I say I will. Include a note saying you don't want one again and I won't trouble you again and find that around 10% of my catalogues delivered are put out the same day, even though I generally collect again two dayslater. These get picked up there and then and marked as not to deliver again as well. If a sign says NO CATALOGUES, then I don't deliver one. I'd like to think I am ethical.

I think it is a very grey area as many signs in my local area (bordered by two local authorities) state we don't buy at the door. It becomes cloudy here as I would see it that we are not asking you to buy there and then. Indeed, the main reasons for the introduction of No Cold Calling Zones was to reduce rogue traders and distraction burglaries or a fear of crime.

Views are more than welcome on what I've found so far and I'd love to know peoples opinions. Certainly the sign that said no callers unless personally known to the occupants would have me walking away (but would it stop me putting a book through the door)? Likewise, signs that say don't knock (what if I ring the doorbell instead) but now I'm just showing how open to interpretation a lot of this area can actually be!

Feedback welcomed, and please, don't shoot the messenger!
  • bailey70
    Options
    I think what you (and several other previous posters) are missing kevbrock76 is that if somebody is already a customer then by definition you're not a cold caller. I have a "no cold callers" sign in my window and one example I would use is window cleaners... mine still comes regularly and is not deterred by the sign but I would consider a new one trying to get my business to be a cold caller.
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    pcw12kcox wrote: »
    So, if I understand you correctly, because Kleeneze can't be bothered to record centrally those who complain about receiving catalogues, then they will continue to be pestered with further catalogue drops and follow ups?
    Apparently (as this has been asked on another thread) this would "limit their representatives" or some such - actually, it would cost them money to set up such a system - strange that Betterware are supposed to have one...
    pcw12kcox wrote: »
    I fear this lazy approach does not give the company - or the representatives a good reputation.
    The companies don't care about their reputation - since it's MLM, they can always claim that it's certain team managers - they only care about the money.
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    As an Independent Kleeneze Distributor with a large team of distributors myself I would like to add the following to this discussion. Kleeneze is approved by the Office of Fair Trading. They have stated that No Cold Calling areas and signs do not apply as we are not entering selling or buying transactions on the door step. 90% of our customers do indeed have these signs but are happily ordering products on a regular basis so it is confusing for both new distributors and householders alike. As distributors come and go it is not guaranteed that you will not get a catalogue posted through your door by simply telling the distributor as there are no territory restrictions and the next distributor would not know this information. I advise all my distributors to post a catalogue through unless there is a sign on the door that says No Catalogues. Kleeneze distributors pay for their catalogues, are often people working hard to make ends meet and save money rather than relying on benefits and I have 600 customers in my own local area alone that value the free door to door delivery service from an 88yr old British company. Please put a sign requesting No Catalogues on your door if you really don't want any, don't bin them it is hurting hardworking people financially and damaging the environment, we reuse them. If someone ignores a No Catalogues sign then go ahead and recylcle. Thank you everyone :)
    I put mine out with a note asking for no more - I have to keep doing it every time the local agent changes. If they don't collect it, I recycle it, or just leave it there forever.
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    missionary wrote: »
    Sorry but that was very definitely a rogue Rep and he should be identified to Everest. Every Everest Rep carries a small blue book recording his movements, and inside the back cover there is a list of rules composing the Everest code of behaviour.
    Rule 1 - 'Be neat tidy and well-dressed.'
    Rule 2 - ...'please respect the individual request of the householder if they have a sticker requesting no cold calling.'
    Rule 6 - 'Be polite and respectful to everyone, all the time'
    Rule 7 - 'Never outstay your welcome'

Everest have a justly good reputation for their canvassing behaviour and are very tough with those who do not follow the code. If you see the man again then get his employee code number from his ID card which should be on display when he is working, and report him.

I am sure Everest will be sorry to hear of your complaint.

mish
    Has anyone else ever tried to spot the staff card ID number on some of these cold callers to report them? Half the ones who came to my door never showed their ID clearly or for long enough to register the details.
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    Patjan wrote: »
    The charity were genuinely concerned about this incident, but their excuse was that they employ an agency to do door-to-door canvassing on their behalf, so can't control what happens. However, the canvasser was going to be severely reprimanded.
    Which usually means ... absolutely nothing, the canvasser might get rotated into office work for a (short) while, then sent back out to streets in another area.
  • bailey70
    bailey70 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Well... apart my my comment the other day I'd not really had to worry about cold callers since putting up the latest incarnation of the MSE "do not knock" sign, the threat of legal action on it seemed to have done the trick.

But then I had a knock on the door, the young female caller stands there looking all innocent and says "I do apologise, I did notice the sign in your window, but..." and thrust a bible at me.

To say I was annoyed and upset was an understatement but, unlike Kleeneze, she did at least offer to put me on a "do not call" list!
  • wild_life_fan
    Options
    Thanks to the new (?) yellow MSE sign warning cold callers, we've now not had a single one for almost 10 wks.
    Quite a relief, after the previous (Police-designed) notice kept being ignored.
    We did modify the notice (with PDF editor) to add a message for charities.
    So far, so good.
    Thanks MSE!
  • mobo1980
    mobo1980 Posts: 368 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got a no cold caller sign as OH works night shifts the other night Macmillan came knocking at quarter to 9 at night , And just now had two jehovas witnesses who not only woke OH up who's on nights ,but also me as was having a nap on settee on my days off (I have to work 6 days before my days off) to say I was furious is an understatement - They said they didn't see sign :mad::mad::mad:
    CC1-£1729.53
    CC2-£4323.00
    LOAN-£14,519.05
    TOTAL DEBT £20,571.58 :eek:
    Then there's the mortgage :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income