PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying in bulk / stockpiling ....is it really worth it?

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I also have the Trevor Sorbie 5litre shampoo/conditioner, which I bought from Direct Cosmetics, but I haven't seen it in stock since last summer now so I assume it was an end of range product :confused:

PP - if you know of somewhere else we can get it that would be great as I could do with ordering another shampoo :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Mr HQ has much less hair than me but uses far more shampoo! in fact i use a lush bar and its lasting me ages while he's got through several bottles so I would be interested in buying in bulk shampoo - will decant it into a small bottle or he will practically bath in it!
  • MIRRY_2
    MIRRY_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    went to tescos on friday and needed basmati rice,
    I was going to buy 500 g for £1.50
    but then notised a huge tescos 4kg bag for £3.29.

So now we have enough rice to see the year out :o

what other staples can you buy in bulk to save money ?
    also do you know the cheapest places to buy bulk ?
  • FZwanab
    FZwanab Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Yeast is good to buy in bulk from a health food shop, much cheaper than those small supermarket sachets.
    Penny xxx
    Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Pasta, I always buy the huge 3Kg bags from Tesco as we get through so much of it.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • marksward
    marksward Posts: 258 Forumite
    Frozen veg seems cheaper the more you buy.
    We do a monthly costco shop for large cuts of meat, turkey/chicken breasts and mince, potatoes, washing powder, 5ltr double packs of fabric conditioner, pasta, tuna (10 tin packs) ........... Obviuosly some of the obove lasts much longer than a month, but if you can freeze it etc theres money to be saved!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Mirry,

There are lots of recommendations of what to buy (and what not to buy) in bulk on this thread:

have you ever stocked up on a product being thrifty and gone a bit mad

Pink
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Anything non-perishable, really, if you have the room for it. You obviously need to store stuff like rice, flour, etc in containers that vermin can't get into. Sanitary products, bath & shower stuff, laundry products, tinned goods usually good buys. Also buying stuff in ethnic shops usually good value - big bags of spices and bottles of soy sauce, rice vinegar and the like.

Suncream (mentioned in the other thread) is a bit dodgy - usually shouldn't have it more than 2 years old if unopened.
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Moggins - the huge 3kg bags of pasts are on offer at the moment in Tesco ...... only £1 for 3kg !!!!! :j

I bought 2 bags of them which will last me all year now !! (Only me & 3 yr old!!) :eek:
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I buy basmati rice (Tilda) in 10 kg sacks from Waitrose. It's about £13 I think and is probably a bit more expensive than an own brand but the quality is excellent and considerably cheaper than buying the small bags. It comes in a sturdy sack with a zip and lasts forever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure