PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying in bulk / stockpiling ....is it really worth it?

Comments

• newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    jcr16 wrote:
    we don't have a costco on the isle of wight, what type of shop is it please ?
    I think Reading would be your nearest - a bit of a hike.
    Costco is basically a wholesalers, but they offer individual membership to certain professions (nurses, emergency services, local government etc.) You pay an annual fee to join (about £29) and it entitles you to use any branch, anywhere in the world. (They are huge in the USA). A member can get an extra card for a family member or friend - so if you know anyone who's eligible you can ask them nicely! Have a look at their website for more details.
    Basically they supply anything a tradesman, professional caterer or small business might want to buy. Their warehouses are gigantic and feature butchers and instore bakery departments amongst other things. It's a great place to buy Trade sized packs of anything like laundry powder or dry goods. They sell things in big quantities, like fresh cream - but the smallest size is 2 litres! They also do very good quality bedlinen and towels, white goods and some clothing.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    newleaf wrote:
    (They are huge in the USA).

Very true - we shopped in Costco in North Carolina.

There's a Makro in Southampton.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Ooops, sorry, missed the Southampton one - that's not so far from IOW is it?
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I think it's just across the Solent but I don't know what the ferry costs are like.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's hardly any storage space in our little flat so sadly I can't bulk buy much as there's nowhere to put it all, ideally if our shower gel etc is on bogof I'd buy 10 (pay for 5) but we just have to make do with buying 2 (pay for 1) at the moment. Looking forward to having a house with some storage space soon.
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • wombat_2
    wombat_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    One of my friends bought a 25 kg sack of basmati rice! I don't think its finished yet despite having rice with nearly every meal for a year.

I don't really buy in bulk - distinct lack of storage space in this house, and I'm worried about mice if I put stuff in the garage. Would be helpful for the budget though...
    Saved for a house deposit! :j Now for a new kitchen! :D
    Save 20k in 2014 #36: £2251 / £20000
    Save 12k in 2013 #159: £13650 / £12000
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    i might try the one in soton then. a one day return with a discount for being an islander is about £40, for car aswell. but when we do go off the island then we team up lots of things to do as can't afford to keep using ferry. although tesco clubcard points do deals for tickets so that not too bad.
  • MIRRY_2
    MIRRY_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    macro in southampton is for Business / tradespeople.
    You have to have a macro card to get entry.

I used to go there but wasnt really impressed with the prices,
    its just as cheap in Lidl I think.
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The Southampton Makro is actually near Fareham, just off the Segensworth Roundabout on the M27 (halfway between Portsmouth and Southampton) so you get a choice of ferry ports!
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    ah , don't have a mackro card. my hubby is a sparks but he works for a company not himself.

we do have a lidl only been once and the prices seemed very good. might investiagte there a bit more then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure