PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying in bulk / stockpiling ....is it really worth it?

Comments

• newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    If you can get a Costco card, that's a great place for bulk purchasing! I get laundry powder, tea bags, coffee, sugar, cooking oil etc. etc. there for a fraction of the usual price. You need somewhere to store it all though, and that can be the tricky bit.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    For those of you who volunteer for Brownies, Guides, Scouts etc, you can get a day pass to Bookers Cashand Carry, and Mackro with your Warrent card!
    I know, cos I do it a lot! (Mind you it does involve some commitment to Guides as well!LOL!)
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• sophiesmum_2
    sophiesmum_2 Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Costco is good for bacon and meats too.
    A five pound pack of bacon is only around £4.50 and can be split into small packs and frozen. I also get coffee , tea bags there and they do all the big sacks of rice etc. one thing that is much cheaper in bulk is herbs and spices, cajun seasoning etc - if you use these regularly you can save a fortune on the small jars.
    sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• Icemaiden
    Icemaiden Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post
    Moggins - the huge 3kg bags of pasts are on offer at the moment in Tesco ...... only £1 for 3kg !!!!! :j

I bought 2 bags of them which will last me all year now !! (Only me & 3 yr old!!) :eek:

And at Asda, bought one yesturday.
    Rebel No 22
  • I bulk buy (if you can call it that!) toilet roll, shampoo etc if on BOGOF and keep them in the airing cupboard. I don't really tend to bulk buy food because I've tried it before and we just ate more of it so kind of defeated the object!!!
    Its nice to be important but more important to be nice!
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    i always buy the 3kg bads of pasta so i was really pleased to see it on offfer at £1 a bag. i now have 6 in my cupboard. also i buy the easy cook rice it always was £2.80 for 4kg but the last few months it has been onlt £1.83 at tesco. so i now have 3 of these. i love stocking on up these items.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    We buy cat food from Costco (200 tins/month) and big tins of coffee. I used to buy all my meat there but I costed it up today with Sainsburys and Costco - Costco is considerably more expensive for beef but cheaper on some cuts of pork and lamb. Sainsburys worked out as a saving of between 7% and 41% of the price of Costco on the 9 beef cuts I compared. eg. stewing steak is £3.83/kg as opposed to £6.49/kg, so I won't automatically buy meat from either; I'll go to wherever's cheaper for what I'm looking for.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    wow 200 tins of cat food. i have 4 cats and thought i bought alot of food , but feel loads better now.hehe
    we don't have a costco on the isle of wight, what type of shop is it please ?
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    wigginsmum wrote:
    Costco is considerably more expensive for beef but cheaper on some cuts of pork and lamb.
    I agree, and I also thought their sausages were expensive, so didn't buy. They do sell fantastic steaks though, just like you get in the USA, and very good quallity fresh fish. We've had Haddock and Tuna and I can wholeheartedly recommend those. I split into useable portions and freeze.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    We've got 7 cats, and they get through 6 tins a day, sometimes a bit more if they're being scroungy. It's bedlam in the kitchen at feeding time - none of them will pick one bowl and stay with it, because they're convinced everyone else has got something more interesting. Felix works out at 32p/tin at Costco, as opposed to 52p elsewhere.

Costco is a wholesale warehouse-type place, very similar to Makro if you know it. You need to work in certain professions or have a business to get a membership card - I'm in banking and DH is a teacher so each would qualify in our own right. Membership is £29/year, which pays for itself in one visit for us.

Haven't tried Costco's fresh fish (but their frozen tuna steaks are very nice) - will have to do the price comparison thing again.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure