Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Maybe more people will actually drive around with some fuel in their car after getting a fright, then there will be fewer visits to petrol stations, and we'll ALL be able to buy our fuel faster instead of queuing behind people buying £10 or 1/4 tanks at a time.

Never really understood the logic of those who usually fill up with small amounts of fuel yet suddenly found the money to fill their tanks to full as well as the odd jerry can/paint tin/jam jar as soon as panic struck.
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 April 2012 at 11:26PM
    Options
    Some people believe the extra weight of 60 litres of petrol is going to have a major impact on their fuel economy, worse than the impact of detouring to a garage more frequently.

Not sure if that's actually true or not, but I do know how much I value my time at, so it's not economical for me.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Crabman wrote: »
    Never really understood the logic of those who usually fill up with small amounts of fuel yet suddenly found the money to fill their tanks to full as well as the odd jerry can/paint tin/jam jar as soon as panic struck.
    My mother has always filled up with £20 (or £10 a few years ago when cheaper) as long as I can remember. She absolutely refuses to brim it, ever. At least she has now stopped trying to justify it. :p I only ever put less than a full tank in if its expensive and I'm desperate. Aside from it just being logical, if I don't brim it I won't find out my MPG for the previous tank, which upsets me. :D
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My fuel tank is 55 litres I think, previous car was 70 litres. Let's say that 1litre of petrol is 1kg of mass. So I'm driving out of the petrol station with a child in the passenger seat (well, under the back seat is where the fuel is), that gets smaller and lighter all the time, like the curious case of Benjamin Button. 70kg would be a light adult or a large child BTW.
    As Lum says above, driving to the petrol station and potentially waiting around, in my book, costs more time and money than carrying the extra weight. I'd also say I offset this a bit by going WAY below the 1/4 mark that some people refuel at, so for plenty of time I'm carrying less weight than people that always have between 1/4 and 1/2 tanks!
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Options
    I always go from completely full to completely empty (5 or 0 miles remaining on the dash), so on average I drive round with half a tank. I never detour for fuel because I live 500yards from a Tesco.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • johncas1
    johncas1 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My mate 2 weeks ago saw a Tanker coming down the road and a load of cars following it about 20 cars whats going on there look theres a tanker all follow it it would be funny if the tanker was say going to the local airport or bus deport not a petrol filling station

And stay away from the motorway services there selling at 1.80ppl
  • im-lost
    im-lost Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Options
    johncas1 wrote: »
    My mate 2 weeks ago saw a Tanker coming down the road and a load of cars following it about 20 cars whats going on there look theres a tanker all follow it it would be funny if the tanker was say going to the local airport or bus deport not a petrol filling station

And stay away from the motorway services there selling at 1.80ppl

What? you mean cars driving behind each other on a road?
    What is happening in the world, what the hell is going on :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport