PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Haven't CS d for nearly a year as have been obsessively decluttering ours after the nightmare of decluttering dad's house three years ago: but I had an hour to wait for my bus yesterday and the library was closed so I pottered round our local cs's to kill time.
    Result!! Two per una tops and a very pretty Maine t-shirt for £3.00!
    I'd forgotten the thrill of the chase, but I WILL return :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cappella wrote: »
    Haven't CS d for nearly a year as have been obsessively decluttering ours after the nightmare of decluttering dad's house three years ago: but I had an hour to wait for my bus yesterday and the library was closed so I pottered round our local cs's to kill time.
    Welcome back into the fold :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Cappella wrote: »

I wish I had your self-control! However I do remember clearing out the late parents' house, and wanting to keep so much "stuff" for sentimental reasons rather than need, so good for you for planning ahead.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When my mum died I couldn't face the amount of clearing out in one hit. There are a couple of large cartons in my loft that were put there for later - 16 years ago! I'm gradually rehoming them to various CS and other homes now the emotion has lessened from 'stuff'' I've been using the Mk mantra which helps enormously.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    19 p book sale (rather random price but I'm not complaining) in my local cheap n cheerful chazza; got a historical novel about Galileo and Kepler, plus a Georgette Heyer 1930s detective story (didn't know she did crime fiction too). Plus some smart Hobbs work trousers for £3.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Fonque
    Fonque Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I quite fond of picking up weird and wonderful knick knacks and so I found a miniature 3 inch champagne ice bucket (probably for toothpicks) by Viners of Sheffield, it was also silver plated and oxidized badly. A quickish polish and it came up lovely. It cost me £3.
    Do not make any sudden moves.
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    When my mum died I couldn't face the amount of clearing out in one hit. There are a couple of large cartons in my loft that were put there for later - 16 years ago! I'm gradually rehoming them to various CS and other homes now the emotion has lessened from 'stuff'' I've been using the Mk mantra which helps enormously.

I've become aware over the last four years that the in-laws have similar things in their loft and three spare bedrooms.... They themselves also have a vast collection of art, ceramics, figurines and a 2000+ sci-fi book collection that has enough rare first editions to rate it's own section on the household contents insurance (not to mention MiL's jewelry collection and clothing :faint:). Oh, and lets not forget that they have a second house 'up North' with half as much stuff again lol

It's a running joke between DH and BiL who gets which alphabetical section of the books when the will gets read out.... Joking aside however, DH and I are acutely aware that dealing with this will land on our shoulders one day.

DH also grudgingly admits that this is perhaps why he finds it hard to let go of the numerous shirts and t-shirts he owns but never wears.... That and all the bolts and screws and cables that 'might come in useful'.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of clothes and books too... However I've moved house five times in the last 11 years and done a hell of a lot of downsizing! :cool:
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,922 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I pity whoever has to deal with all my stuff when I croak....don't have any family so Gawd knows who will have to do it!! I do keep trying to get rid of all the necessary stuff but somehow more creeps back:o

*Ahem*.....so today I was whiling away the time till the bus came by rifling thro the 'reduced to £1' rail at the community shop and I ended up buying an M & S short sleeved 'no peep' shirt in navy with a small geometric pattern...still had part of the tags on so must have been new. Again mis-sized as it's a size smaller than I usually take but as it has a little elastane mixed with the cotton it fits perfectly. Looks really smart and will be great with the recently acquired white jeans:)
  • CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been hunting for a toy castle for my grandson for ages. One was in the CS some time ago, but no-one told me that he wanted one!! Anyway, someone told me that they had seen one in the local Barnados, so the grandson and I hot-footed it down there today (well, he was in the pushchair) and it was still there! It cost 3.99, a Fisher Price one, which I've checked and apparently it's a vintage one worth about £25! As I've been looking for ages and not finding one, I'd started making one for him from a big cardboard box, so he had 2 castles today, how much fun was that? Happy days.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CathA wrote: »
    It cost 3.99, a Fisher Price one, which I've checked and apparently it's a vintage one worth about £25! As I've been looking for ages and not finding one, I'd started making one for him from a big cardboard box, so he had 2 castles today, how much fun was that? Happy days.

I bet he prefers the cardboard box one. :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure