PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What a haul!!! My steamer is an essential part of my kitchen - paid a tenner for mine in Asda umpteen years ago and I reckon it's saved that many times in fuel over the years. Your niece will look a real cutie. So lovely that you buy for other people too
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Plus two on my list for just 50p each: "When God was a Rabbit" and "Canterbury Tales". I was particularly excited about the latter as I've been looking for a copy for ages. I found it tucked into the furthermost space on a bookshelf, obstructed by a stuck piece of furniture: I consider this find to be fate! It now sits proudly in the pile, on top of "Pilgrim's Progress"

Be honest, when are you going to sit down and read Chaucer for pleasure?!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    Great bargains VfM4meplse! Its exciting to uncover treasures when having a rummage :)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Be honest, when are you going to sit down and read Chaucer for pleasure?!
    In truth, I will get a great deal more use out of it than I ever would a steamer! I have no intention of reading it cover to cover, but one story at a time when I am in the mood (I often do this with anthologies) as I'm fascinated by social history.

I was a hard scientist in my younger days, although that will never leave me I now realise there's a lot that I have missed out on and I'm catching up in middle age :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Over the last couple of weekends I've dropped off more than I've bought, but did pick up a few bargains: a black Phase Eight dress, a navy Fat Face knot dress, a fine knit Ghost sweater, a fine knit Kew top, a blue & green Debenhams heavy jersey maxi dress, a b/n Next broderie anglais top, a fine knit pink Phase Eight sweater and a b/n pair of Converse hi-tops, all for the total of £22.50. The maxi will be worn for a wedding and a 50th, both later in the summer, and the tops will be good for work. I also got two Nigel Slater cook books for 99p each, Appetite and Real Cooking and River Cottage Light and Easy for £1.50 :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The older version of the Vtech roll and crawl toy for £1.00. We bought him the newer version with his Easter money for £15.00. So now we have a spare to keep at my in law's.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,170 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Blimey, well done, Floss!
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I also did a haul at my friend's request for her two daughters, almost 12yr old is fitting age 14-15 or adult size 10 and her almost 15yr old is in adult size 12 on top and 14 on the bottom so clothing budgets are now very tight!

I managed about ten tops, four-five bottoms/skirts and 2-3 dresses for each of them. everything £1 each. Whole lot £37. Under £20 per girl (and this includes items from ASOS,New Look, Next, TU, River Island and Primark). They've yet to see any of it yet but fingers crossed they'll be happy with my picks - The oldest one liked the bridesmaid dress I made her wear for my wedding so much she wore it for her Bat-mitzvah the following week so I'd take that as a good sign!!

Saves my friend money for basics like PJs, leggings, school uniform and underwear as they need proper bras now as well of course :roll:
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • cbsexec
    cbsexec Posts: 578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Im so jealous All our charity shops are so expensive. Wish there were a few cheaper ones here.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,910 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oooooh my one little success looks a bit pathetic among all the mega-hauls! :p

In the community shop I spotted a Ted Baker, silk jersey vest top, (bright flowers on a black background), for £2.79. Decided it was not worth that to me even tho I later found out it was normally priced at £30. Had a hunch it may end up, if I was lucky, on the half price rail. Called in this afty and there it was.....£1.40....Yay!!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure