PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I spent a very happy couple of hours (and about £15) in the sunshine this morning at the big outdoor Sue Ryder sale again today. I bought: a steam iron (I don't think it had ever been used), a pretty crystal jug which is perfect for Pimm's, hardback books on colour design in flower gardens by Gertrude Jekyll, Wild Food from Ray Mears (Mister CJ picked that one), the Great British Bake Off Showstoppers, six Beatrix Potter books in lovely condition complete with dust jackets; a non-stick tin for baking 6 bagels (or bagel shaped sponges I guess), a white 'Vision' corning glass waffle-bottomed frying pan which I thought would be perfect for making apple tarte tatin, and a pretty framed original watercolour of boats on the Alde estuary. I can't see a signature on the painting, but one might be hidden beneath the wide mount - either way, it's very lovely.
  • CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think it's CathA's fault for talking about her friend in the Seychelles. ;)

Ha ha, sorry about that!

I'd also add British Heart Foundation to the list.

The 4 branches of our local hospice shop (2 in our village, 1 in town, 1 in my sister's village) appear to have totally different pricing policies.

Our Barnardos is the cheapest CS in town, does a roaring trade. All the others, BHF, Dorothy House etc are not cheap. Red Cross is not too bad tho.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was a bit peeved that Nettlebed wasn't possible for me today, realistically I won't get there until the last date in August now.

Went on a bit of a compensatory trawl this afternoon as I went about my chores. Ended up with the obligatory books (another 9 :o), a good quality apron and a cute pair of jeans for our LO, for £1 each.

I also bought something that fascinated me, in that I couldn't work out what it was although it was shaped like a door wedge. It turned out to be a wailing door siren (complete with battery), triggered by a change in pressure. Another means of bumping up home security for the princely sum of £1 :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • andthethreebears
    Options
    Nothing incredible recently.
    I buy most of my wool (I crochet) in CSs and prices seem to be crazy at the moment, part balls priced at more that you can buy it new!
    Disappointing - I'd far rather give my money to the charities but in that case it's just not financially sensible.

Did get a no-brand cast iron saucepan - brand new - for £4.
    It's the same size as my le creuset pot (also a CS bargain!) which means I can start meals on the hob and transfer them straight to the oven in the same pan!
  • alexnder
    alexnder Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Got 8 books for £2. And bought a vest top and a BNWT Zara top for 50p and £1 respectively. Really pleased :)
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently had a quick browse & got a soft long-sleeve, drawstring sided birds-on-washing-line print top and a flowery Zara top for £1 each.

Slim pickings lately I have to say, perhaps a consequence of the local economy taking a nosedive and a lot of the well-paid people who I'm guessing used to donate a lot of stuff losing their oil jobs and moving away.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    East linen maxi skirt £1
    All that clutter used to be money
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another 3 books from the chaz yesterday but my unexpected invite into the back of the shop to inspect stock that had not yet been put out...priceless :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    More baby clothes for grandson-to-be: Disney branded Mickey Mouse vest 50p (I don't think it was ever worn), New 100% cotton t-shirt 50p and a cotton shirt - again 50p.
    Last week I blew 75p on a M&S body warmer for him!

This is a local cancer charity shop. Looking in the town centre 'chain' CSs, the prices are doubled or trebled. Who would pay £2.25 for a well worn Mothercare t-shirt for a 9 month old?
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Needed a couple of smart work tops, suitable for an office with no aircon and windows that hardly open. Got two 100% cotton Monsoon tops for £3 the pair in my local hospice shop, plus some free entertainment from the chubby camp guy who works on Saturdays and chats loudly with the locals about his "fun times" the night before...
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport