PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I found a nice, smart new black quilted rain-hat to match my Michael Kors jacket. It was only £3 and the outfit now looks very 'New York' so pretty pleased with myself.

On a separate note, have other people noticed that some shops are now stocking a 'designer rail' with fairly outrageous prices for worn-out clothes, simply because they are Karen Millen or Phase Eight? I think it's very short-sighted as no-one seems to be snapping up the items, and thereby getting a good turn round for the shop's stock. There was a Firetrap dress hanging around for ages at £20. It was there about 6 weeks. There's loads of stuff like that, bunging up the rails week after week.....
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I spotted an Amanda Wakely wrap dress in browns and golds today in Marie Curie for £30. It wasn't even that nice.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 November 2013 at 8:24PM
    Options
    On my first introduction to my new boyf's seven yr old son we went CS trawling and I spotted a kids Darlek Costume, it was £10 and makes sounds too, he was thrilled wearing it a week later trick or treating!!

And last week, I picked up an M&S dinner suit for the boyf. £19.99 to Oxfam. He's lost some weight recently and his old suit is much too big and we have a 'do;' next weekend. So pleased it fits him, he looks so yummy in it!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,928 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Artytarty wrote: »
    I spotted an Amanda Wakely wrap dress in browns and golds today in Marie Curie for £30. It wasn't even that nice.

Today I saw a beige Edina Ronay coat with what looked like a hyoooge tea stain down the front and they were asking £40 for it! :(
  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    £3 for a lovely Banana Republic skirt for work. It looks like it's never been worn and it would have been about £50 new.

I'm a new convert to charity shops since a friend recommended a couple to me a few days ago. I went to the ones in a nearby affluent area first and came out with a black dress from Urban Outfitters for £8 and a designer top that wasn't really charity shop priced (£15! could have bought a very similar one new in h&m for that, but I do like it and my washing machine had just eaten my much loved h&m one ). Then today I tried my local, down at heel part of south London. Took a bag of eBay bundle rejects into the nearest and had a rummage while I was there, but it was just rails of very well worn Primark and Tu t-shirts. Next one along got me all excited, with a pair of navy diesel jeans for £5 but they turned out to be flairs :( and an Oasis skirt that I had to reluctantly admit didn't suit me. Came out with a snuggly cream jumper for £3.

Finally, over the road to a total treasure trove! They had Ted Baker, Reiss, Nichol Farhi, Cos, Moschino... As well as my banana republic skirt. And all except the evening dresses were £5 or less. I'll be a regular in there!
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    Not a buy but a sell today.
    I was chatting to the manager of my favourite chazzer and she asked for my opinion on a little die-cast car. I looked it up and it seemed to be worth £15ish on ebay- we thought it was worth selling so I listed it. We had a couple of bids and then an email asking for a buy-it-now price. Long story short the buyer collected the car from the charity shop today and gave them several tenners for the privilege! :j :j A wonderful result- they got more, much more than they'd anticipated, the buyer has a new toy (which will be played with rather than displayed) and I have a lovely warm fuzzy feeling of good deeds. :D

Today was a good day.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • madelaine
    Options
    Today i got a lovely Taupe colour Per una Jacket for £1.50, and also a Disney book, for my Grandson for 25p, both from the Salvation Army.
  • vodkawitch1
    Options
    I got lots of Christmas Decorations today, cute things to hang on the tree and some toys spent £3 x Happy me
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bought my mum a lovely tangerine wool cardigan - has lovely buttons and it looks great on her. I paid £2.50.
    Mum bought me from the same shop a beautiful willow cat basket, also £2.50 :)

Just remembered that I also got a holly-leaf shaped biscuit cutter which is much larger than the 2 I have at home - 25p!
  • FrooGal_2
    Options
    More winter warmers for the little man - a crocheted cardigan, woollen socks and mittens - for £1
    Recovering Shopaholic
    Santander: £1800 overdraft - £1800 to go
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family