Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

What is your charity shop bargain of the week? - Page 185

New Post Advanced Search

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

edited 18 August 2014 at 2:02PM in Old Style MoneySaving
7.4K replies 1.2M views

Replies

• edited 20 August 2013 at 3:16PM
    sweetpea26sweetpea26 Forumite
    809 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Rampant Recycler Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    edited 20 August 2013 at 3:16PM
    Morning all

Picked up a few very nice items yesterday including a Royal Doulton side plate for 50p. My neighbour always uses this set when I call for coffee so I will give this 'spare plate' to her.
    Also a pair of vintage amber coloured glass tumblers a bit like Blackfriars and they have a substantial weight to them. 75p each. Kirsty would be proud. :)

3 gorgeous enamel 70's 80's brooches for £1.50.

A gorgeous classy white Bandolera dress , stunning reduced to a £1.

Have to go pick my daughter up in a nearby large town today so am going to pop into a few of my favourite shops whilst there.:)
  • kboss2010kboss2010 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    I'm sulking because I spotted in the window of one of my fave c/shops today one of those key rings that whistles when you clap your hands, so you can find your keys. Only 30p. Just what we needed, as OH had a mega panic about his mislaid car keys last weekend, and I'd promised to look out for one for him.

Anyway just as I was looking closely to make sure it was what I thought, a hand came through from the shop and hooked up the keyring. I went into the shop to find another customer paying for it :(. Ah well, some you win, some you lose :laugh: .

I did get a nice 100% cotton polo shirt in OH's size for £2, which looks unworn as it had a long loose thread that anyone wearing it would have cut off. So all was not lost :).

You had a lucky escape! Those things are a nightmare, they go off all the time randomly. My dad had one once and it lasted a week - he took the battery out because it was so annoying :o
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" :D ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there :p
    ~ Lifehouse
  • Off into Town today, to have a 'tour' of the local charity shops. :)

I've been gradually getting bits each week for my holidays at the end of September, lots of little strappy tops, vest tops, cropped pants etc. I figure is enough to pay to get a whole new holiday wardrobe.

Totally agree with the 'if you see something pick it up and walk round with it' rule!
  • Bogof_BabeBogof_Babe Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat wrote: »
    The way I read it, Bogof_Babe hadn't gone into the shop yet, she was outside looking in the window when someone inside the shop picked it up. ;)

But I do agree with you, if there's something I think I might want I carry it round with me whilst I'm still looking at other stuff.

Correct! The annoying thing is that if I'd been a minute earlier I'd have had it, and a minute later I wouldn't have known anything about it. I hate watching people paying for things in c/shops, as I'm always thinking perhaps I would have bought that! :o:rotfl:
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    You had a lucky escape! Those things are a nightmare, they go off all the time randomly. My dad had one once and it lasted a week - he took the battery out because it was so annoying :o

Thank you :iloveyou: . I was trying to think of a reason why my karma failed me yesterday, and I did think "I wonder why it's in a charity shop" :D .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    I got a knitted scarf with a brooche on it last week, 50p from local charity shop. It is made by local designers and is selling on their website for £60.52 :). I knew when I saw it it was a good deal, just didn't realise how good!
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • sweetpea26sweetpea26 Forumite
    809 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Rampant Recycler Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Orkneystar
    Thats the kind of bargain I like :)

I didn't make it to the charity shops as main part of town closed of due to roadworks and the traffic was ridiculous so didn't get a nosey but I will soon:):):)
  • Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Correct! The annoying thing is that if I'd been a minute earlier I'd have had it, and a minute later I wouldn't have known anything about it. I hate watching people paying for things in c/shops, as I'm always thinking perhaps I would have bought that!

When I'm volunteering at the BHF, people come up to the counter with things I haven't noticed (as I haven't had a chance to look around), and I'm kicking myself under the counter for missing such a bargain! :rotfl:

One day there was this old woman and she picked up a handbag that I hadn't noticed, and to myself I'm thinking 'Oooo that's really nice....put it back, step away from the bag!' and she did indeed put it back, and as soon as she'd left the shop, I ran and grabbed it from the shelf! :rotfl:

Today I got a sleeveless chiffon blouse from our local Hospice at Home shop, beige background with pink hearts on, from a distance I thought it was like a leopard print. It didn't have a ticket on, so the lass just charged me £2.
  • Got a Royal Doulton 'Merryweather' (1920s/30s) cup for 50c, whole sets sell for £800 or so online, but I have just the one. It's got a large crack on it, but in stable shape (she was originally charging me €2!). Any ideas of what crafty thing I can do with it, rather than candles? I was thinking a pin cushion?
  • wondercolliewondercollie Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    sweetpea26 wrote: »
    Morning all

Picked up a few very nice items yesterday including a Royal Doulton side plate for 50p. My neighbour always uses this set when I call for coffee so I will give this 'spare plate' to her.
    Also a pair of vintage amber coloured glass tumblers a bit like Blackfriars and they have a substantial weight to them. 75p each. Kirsty would be proud. :)

3 gorgeous enamel 70's 80's brooches for £1.50.

A gorgeous classy white Bandolera dress , stunning reduced to a £1.

Have to go pick my daughter up in a nearby large town today so am going to pop into a few of my favourite shops whilst there.:)

You live next door to Hyacinthe Bucket (pronounced Boookaaay)!:eek::p
  • Got a £4 chandelier the other day ;) so pleased, painted it n put diamonds on and it's gorgeous. Total bargain