M&S travellers cheques

I've just signed up for a M&S credit card and been given a healthy credit limit which I want to stooze using m&s sterling travellers cheques. However they are being very vague about the denominations of tc's I can order. I tried the on line process and didn't seem to have an option for selecting £500 denominations, my local stores bureau de change said £200 maximum denomination and on the phone they said they couldn't gaurantee what denominations would be delivered. I don't want masses of cheques to sign twice.

What has been other peoples experience?

Replies

• mrs_T wrote: »
    I've just signed up for a M&S credit card and been given a healthy credit limit which I want to stooze using m&s sterling travellers cheques. However they are being very vague about the denominations of tc's I can order. I tried the on line process and didn't seem to have an option for selecting £500 denominations, my local stores bureau de change said £200 maximum denomination and on the phone they said they couldn't gaurantee what denominations would be delivered. I don't want masses of cheques to sign twice.

What has been other peoples experience?

I just had to suck it up and sign loads I am afraid. Not the answer you're looking for.
  • edited 20 March 2012 at 10:32PM
    mrs_Tmrs_T Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2012 at 10:32PM
    Ordering online 3 days ago in 3 batches (to get round the £2500 limit) triggered a phone call from m&s this morning. Thought it was all going wrong for a moment but all for the best in the end.
    Ordering online 3 days ago in 3 batches (to get round the £2500 limit) triggered a phone call from m&s this morning. Thought it was all going wrong for a moment but all for the best in the end.

Is your bank taking them ok?
  • mrs_Tmrs_T Forumite
    1K Posts
    Lloyds tsb took them without a problem. All transfers in place to fund an A&L 1 year 3.5% isa on friday.
  • WyndhamWyndham Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I thought travellers cheques counted as 'cash', so not suitable for stoozing?
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Wyndham wrote: »
    I thought travellers cheques counted as 'cash', so not suitable for stoozing?
    That's the case with most cards, yes.

However, M&S travel money bought with an M&S credit card is treated as a purchase. :)

There's a 1% fee on Sterling TCs, so still a profit to be made over a 15 month 0% intro period.
    Lloyds tsb took them without a problem. All transfers in place to fund an A&L 1 year 3.5% isa on friday.

Thanks, any idea if all banks are as happy to take them?
  • edited 6 April 2012 at 12:29PM
    mrs_Tmrs_T Forumite
    1K Posts
    edited 6 April 2012 at 12:29PM
    AgentOso wrote: »
    Thanks, any idea if all banks are as happy to take them?

I don't think so but there's lots more on this here which suggests Lloyds tsb and nationwide:

http://www.stoozing.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1159043738/0

The m&s credit card 0% period is now 15 months not 12 as mentioned here in 2006.
  • I paid mine into a local Halifax branch back in early June 2011, they asked me a few questions (for prevention of money laundering) I said UK holiday had been cancelled.
    I came, I saw, I saved.
    Campaign for the Abolition of Political Parties - find us on Facebook
  • blitzboyblitzboy Forumite
    477 Posts
    I paid mine into a local Halifax branch back in early June 2011, they asked me a few questions (for prevention of money laundering) I said UK holiday had been cancelled.

Why couldnt you just tell them what you were actually doing? There's nothing wrong with it surely? M&S make the offer available and you are simply paying your own cheques (which you have paid a fee for) in to your own bank account.

Or am i missing something?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals