M&S travellers cheques

I've just signed up for a M&S credit card and been given a healthy credit limit which I want to stooze using m&s sterling travellers cheques. However they are being very vague about the denominations of tc's I can order. I tried the on line process and didn't seem to have an option for selecting £500 denominations, my local stores bureau de change said £200 maximum denomination and on the phone they said they couldn't gaurantee what denominations would be delivered. I don't want masses of cheques to sign twice.

What has been other peoples experience?

Comments

• mrs_T wrote: »
    I've just signed up for a M&S credit card and been given a healthy credit limit which I want to stooze using m&s sterling travellers cheques. However they are being very vague about the denominations of tc's I can order. I tried the on line process and didn't seem to have an option for selecting £500 denominations, my local stores bureau de change said £200 maximum denomination and on the phone they said they couldn't gaurantee what denominations would be delivered. I don't want masses of cheques to sign twice.

What has been other peoples experience?

I just had to suck it up and sign loads I am afraid. Not the answer you're looking for.
  • mrs_T
    mrs_T Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2012 at 10:32PM
    Ordering online 3 days ago in 3 batches (to get round the £2500 limit) triggered a phone call from m&s this morning. Thought it was all going wrong for a moment but all for the best in the end.
  • AgentOso_2
    AgentOso_2 Posts: 45 Forumite
    mrs_T wrote: »
    Ordering online 3 days ago in 3 batches (to get round the £2500 limit) triggered a phone call from m&s this morning. Thought it was all going wrong for a moment but all for the best in the end.

Is your bank taking them ok?
  • mrs_T
    Lloyds tsb took them without a problem. All transfers in place to fund an A&L 1 year 3.5% isa on friday.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I thought travellers cheques counted as 'cash', so not suitable for stoozing?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Wyndham wrote: »
    I thought travellers cheques counted as 'cash', so not suitable for stoozing?
    That's the case with most cards, yes.

However, M&S travel money bought with an M&S credit card is treated as a purchase. :)

There's a 1% fee on Sterling TCs, so still a profit to be made over a 15 month 0% intro period.
  • AgentOso_2
    AgentOso_2 Posts: 45 Forumite
    mrs_T wrote: »
    Lloyds tsb took them without a problem. All transfers in place to fund an A&L 1 year 3.5% isa on friday.

Thanks, any idea if all banks are as happy to take them?
  • mrs_T
    edited 6 April 2012 at 12:29PM
    AgentOso wrote: »
    Thanks, any idea if all banks are as happy to take them?

I don't think so but there's lots more on this here which suggests Lloyds tsb and nationwide:

http://www.stoozing.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1159043738/0

The m&s credit card 0% period is now 15 months not 12 as mentioned here in 2006.
  • The_Enforcer
    The_Enforcer Posts: 345 Forumite
    I paid mine into a local Halifax branch back in early June 2011, they asked me a few questions (for prevention of money laundering) I said UK holiday had been cancelled.
    I came, I saw, I saved.
    Campaign for the Abolition of Political Parties - find us on Facebook
  • blitzboy
    blitzboy Posts: 477 Forumite
    I paid mine into a local Halifax branch back in early June 2011, they asked me a few questions (for prevention of money laundering) I said UK holiday had been cancelled.

Why couldnt you just tell them what you were actually doing? There's nothing wrong with it surely? M&S make the offer available and you are simply paying your own cheques (which you have paid a fee for) in to your own bank account.

Or am i missing something?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport