M&S travellers cheques

Options

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jagbeth1 wrote: »
    I have two curernt accounts one with Nationwide and the other with First Direct so 2 chances of being accepted.
    I've previously paid them into Nationwide, but it was 3-4 years ago. Not sure if they're still accepting them?

HSBC (so presumably also FD?) used to charge 1% I believe...which would mean it's not cost effective for you?
  • jagbeth1
    jagbeth1 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    I actually need the money for fairly urgent repairs to my roof, although the repairs can probably wait until january/february so I can go down the purchasing route to make the money available if neccesary. I wanted to go this route as it is cheaper than a loan so even if I have to pay 1% I am still better off.
    There should be no problems as both myself and my DH have very good income and apart from the usual bills our only debt is a cc on 0% with £1800 outstanding which we are paying of at £200 a month.

Please let me know if you can see any problems with my plan?
    Elite 5:2 #6 8 /34lbs
  • mrs_T
    mrs_T Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Should be no problem if you're bank will take them and you can repay before the end of the interest free period. I'm still stoozing mine in a 3.5% santander isa till may 2013.
  • beansy
    beansy Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2012 at 10:16PM
    Options
    We have the Nationwide Select Visa card with 18 mths interest free purchases.

Used it to pay off a big chunk on our solar panels purchase and we have already received a cheque rebate for £1100 for our first 2 qtrs which is now invested so hopefully, we will have received a fair bit of our money back from the solar installation - which we are earning interest on - before we have to pay the credit card off to Nationwide.

:T
  • saver84_2
    Options
    I've previously paid them into Nationwide, but it was 3-4 years ago. Not sure if they're still accepting them?

I called Nationwide about this a few months ago and was told I couldn't pay them in. Same story with Santander. However, I had no problem paying them into my Halifax current account.
  • blitzboy
    blitzboy Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options

HSBC (so presumably also FD?) used to charge 1% I believe...which would mean it's not cost effective for you?

Im with HSBC and have never been charged for it.
  • jagbeth1
    jagbeth1 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for answering all my questions. Card arrived and activated Friday visit to local M&S Saturday travellers cheques withdrawn and then paid into FD account this morning with no charge.

Savings pot for roof work commenced.

Again thanks for the help

X
    Elite 5:2 #6 8 /34lbs
  • Elljay_2
    Elljay_2 Posts: 606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to point out - if anyone has trouble encashing them with their bank, if you show your receipt you can actually encash them at M&S bureau - either another one or wait a couple of days. You will get the cash for them and can then pay the cash into your bank account.
  • MrOrchard
    Options
    Hello, does anyone know if Natwest accept these over the counter? My research is proving fruitless.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrOrchard wrote: »
    My research is proving fruitless.
    Until someone comes along with first hand experience, have you tried ringing your local branch and saying...

"I've had to cancel an overseas trip and would like to pay my unused Amex Sterling travellers cheques into my NatWest current account.

Will you accept them? If so, would you charge me a fee for doing so?"

The answer is either yes or no isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure