IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking ticket while sitting in the car!

Options
Hi

My husband was waiting for me to come out the bank, the car engine was running, when a private company Securak! came and slapped a fine on our window. there was signs saying to parking and clamping. but surely they cant do it while your sitting in the car with the engine running???? please advice if i should pay this. thanks

Comments

• FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    Options
    They're a private company so legally they have no authority to issue parking tickets, whether you're sat in the car with the engine running or not is entirely irrelevant.

Ignore the ticket but (beating GiveThemFA to the punchline for once ;)) you should keep it somewhere safe in case you end up suing them for harrassment.
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    Its not a fine, by the way, its (technically and legally speaking) an invoice inviting you to pay a charge for breaching the terms and conditions of a contract. In the UK, under civil contract law, the amount you are legally allowed to charge for breaching a contract is your actual financial losses only. Which in this case was zero.

Which tells you that this lot are simply 'trying it on' to put it mildly.

Do not pay this, do not contact Sekurak, simply ignore them. Ignore all their follow up letters (including any from Debt Collectors or people pretending to be solicitors) threatening court action, CCJs, bailiffs and all the rest. Its all made up tosh.

Stand firm, ignore them completely, and eventually they will go away.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 March 2012 at 3:38PM
    Options
    Yes, just ignore them - Its a scam.. Expect a few threatening letters and they go away.

I don't think we have the Securak letter chain here? Maybe you could help by scanning and posting depersonalised copies in the sticky if you get any from them. :)
  • marcelle1971
    Options
    no letters yet just the first fine it looks like a printed debit receipt but bigger.
  • CardiffDevil_2
    CardiffDevil_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2012 at 4:27PM
    Options
    Don't pay it. There may be some nasty looking letters from "solicitors" and "debt collectors" but it's all bluff, they can't touch you.

Be sure to scan and post up the letters when they arrive (after removing all your personal details of course) so we can all point and laugh at them. :beer:
  • give_them_FA
    give_them_FA Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    Options
    The letters will come.... ignore them, you don't have to pay... but keep them safe in case you get the chance to sue them for harassment...

Oh drat, FatAndy beat me to it!
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    no letters yet just the first fine it looks like a printed debit receipt but bigger.

As was pointed out above, this is not a FINE, it's an unenforceable invoice.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • spikyone
    spikyone Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    no letters yet just the first [STRIKE]fine[/STRIKE] piece of toilet paper it looks like a printed debit receipt but bigger.

Corrected that for you. :)

Please don't, under any circumstances, call the work of these con artists a "fine" or a "penalty" - those are legitimate charges issued by someone with genuine authority (police, council, or in London TfL). It will help you realise exactly how little power the twerps who littered on your car really have.

What you should do is, once you've ignored the inevitable string of junk-mail, tell all your friends that under no circumstances should they ever give money to a private parking company or their "solicitors" or "debt collectors", however many empty threats they send you! You only need to worry in the extremely unlikely event that you receive genuine, sealed and stamped court papers.
  • Sir_Roger_deLodger
    Options
    Seems you are lucky you only got a fake ticket, Securak are well known thug clampers.
    Take the above advice and ignore them.
  • Danball
    Danball Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Ive read all your very helpful comments but unfortunately not until after i had sent securat a stinking email! has this ruined my chances of just ignoring them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure