The real cost of having pets

Options

Comments

• missmontana
    missmontana Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Urgh, I really am going to have to sit down and do my figures for my 5 kitties.

Loving all the tips for buying in bulk. I tried the Smilla from zoo+ and they loved it, but saying that they are going crazy for whiskas pouches at the mo, only bought cos they're £1.84 a box, the boys like these so they get to fight over a packet or 2 a day. They mostly eat Purina One, so if anybody see's that on offer!

From April, think I'll do bulk buy every month.
    Be who you are, say what you feel, those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.
    They say that talking to yourself is a sign of mental illness. So I talk to the cats instead.
  • paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    Options
    There is NO WAY on God's earth that I am going to even start to tot up what my 6 cost! But here are my thoughts......
    I agree that OKO is a great litter, never seems to need a total change as long as you scoop when necessary, and is light enough to be easily disposed of.
    Personally I do not believe in monthly flea/worm treatments.....and it is more MSE to use a £15 can of Indorex to protect the whole house than treat each individual cat. Also.....and please do your own research here folks!--- I do not believe in yearly vaccinations after the initial set and booster.
    GR.....400g of wet food is a heck of a lot for an adult cat, way way too much....check the advised body weight for each cat and adjust food intake accordingly. For the same reason I would avoid free feeding dry. A cat that has not eaten since breakfast will be far keener to eat from a tin of food even if it has been in the fridge! ( Try adding boiled water and mixing it through the cold meat to make it more appetising )
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GR.....400g of wet food is a heck of a lot for an adult cat, way way too much....check the advised body weight for each cat and adjust food intake accordingly.

20120307_2537.jpg

Teddy nearly 8kg, Fred nearly 7kg, George around 6.5kg.....
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OK so.....

Received 4 samples from Skinners today - amazing as only spoke to them yesterday.

2x150g lamb and rice (a no no, did not even try as I know Zara won't have lamb)
    2x150g salmon and rice

Was supposed to be "ligh and senior" not "lamb and rice" so called them, they will send me "light and senior" (Zara needs to loose weight and this one was recommended).

Anyway, poured the salmon and rice skinners into her bowl, she trotted over happily, sniffed it and gave me " DA LOOK"

Oh dear I though... Hmmmmmm And mixed a hanful of Orijen fish into it.

She went back for a sniff, took a mouthfull and spat it out - have me another "DA LOOK" and went to bed....

Oh dear I though... and went to bed myself :P

Around 8pm she had half of the bowl..... ufffffff Just now she finished it all. She is still not talking to me - keep that in mind ... But looks like she will eat it. So ordered 15kg Salmon and Rice Skinners from Vet UK for just under £25 including delivery.

Also ordered her the Salmon Oil from zooplus, the 1000ml bottle for I thing £24 (that will last her 66 days) as could not afford the Yumega...double the price.

And FAO FRIDAYCAT - ordered 10 litre of Oko Plus to try.

Cats still got a lot of dry (got around 30kg at home) and Classic (got 60 tins) so that can wait, will research more when the time comes.....
  • missmontana
    missmontana Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    Options
    Report back on the OKO please, I might change to that, only Peaches and Smokey poo inside so I wouldn't need a whole lot.
    Looking after my friends 2 MC's I think she has that aswell so will see what its like :)
    Be who you are, say what you feel, those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.
    They say that talking to yourself is a sign of mental illness. So I talk to the cats instead.
  • paddypaws101
    Options
    Gr....feeding recommendations are only suggested guidelines, and of course the manufacturers want us to feed as much as possible! You also need to consider the overall IDEAL weight of the cat, not the weight it actually is as many cats are actually quite overweight. ( ahem! ) You know that the higher quality the food, the more it fills them up...a 6kg cat will only need 120-180g of raw food for example, but again that is a SUGGESTION and some cats burn less calories than others.
    http://www.feednfarm.com/catbodyscoring.html
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MM - will report.

Paddypaws - I hear you girl.. I hear you..... But you asked me for feeding recommendations so inserted a screen shot. Sure I know, I know.....

Tell you what, will drop my 4 at yours at meal times :)
  • paddypaws101
    Options
    MM - will report.

Paddypaws - I hear you girl.. I hear you..... But you asked me for feeding recommendations so inserted a screen shot. Sure I know, I know.....
    I think you need to be using the column on the far right girl!;)
    Tell you what, will drop my 4 at yours at meal times :)
    Welcome any time....although you might not get Teddy back. )
    Fred would be happy as I have a freezer over flowing with raw food including 90 packs of rabbit that I picked up today ( £1 a pound BTW)
  • Fridaycat
    Fridaycat Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Options
    OK so.....

And FAO FRIDAYCAT - ordered 10 litre of Oko Plus to try.

Cats still got a lot of dry (got around 30kg at home) and Classic (got 60 tins) so that can wait, will research more when the time comes.....

Hope you like it :o I've tried many litters (or rather my cats have :rotfl:) and this one is definitely the best IMHO :p
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fridaycat wrote: »
    Hope you like it :o

Actually, I got it for the cats but... who knows.. who knows ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure