The real cost of having pets

Options

Comments

• Fridaycat
    Fridaycat Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Options
    Large tins make sense when one has more cats - my lot does not like "old tin", one that was opened for more than a day.. sigh.. especially not from the fridge.

I will look at Grau and I will look at OkoPlus

31 pence per meal per cat with 4 cats and 2 meals per day is.....

0.31x4x2x31 = £76.88 per month....

I will perhaps stick to Classic :(

But if you are also spending £30 per month on dry food (which I think is a lot ;)), why do you need to feed so much wet?

I would have thought

0.31 x 4 x 1 x 31 would be more realistic = £38. OK, I know one of yours won't eat dry, but the amount of wet & dry you are discussing still seems a little much to me ;)
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 March 2012 at 12:55PM
    Options
    As I said, I may have overestimated dry as have not bought one for ages as had a lot ot home and got some from my daughter so may have been off there.

And just remembered that when I was experimenting with wet... my lot actually did not like Grau, they liked Animonda Carny though.. a lot actually...

The mixed flavours packs are good:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/rafine/megapack/158224

Still, not much cheaper than Grau....

And from the feeding guide, considering the weight of my furries (Macius is a baby so different story) - they would each need around 400 g per day, that is a tin per cat per day on wet only. I have no idea how to calculate all if they each got only 100g per day of wet... Fred would probably eat ME alive......

Hmmmm
  • Fridaycat
    Options
    As I said, I may have overestimated dry as have not bought one for ages as had a lot ot home and got some from my daughter so may have been off there.

And just remembered that when I was experimenting with wet... my lot actually did not like Grau, they liked Animonda Carny though.. a lot actually...

Hmmmm

Ha ha! It is not to all cats' tastes...mine didn't particularly like Animonda, though 4 of the 5 love their Grau :rotfl: Animonda is a great food, and a little cheaper than Grau if you buy the 400g tins so perhaps worth considering ;)
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And then.. there is Smilla...

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/smilla/smilla_saver_packs/161783

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/smilla/smilla_saver_packs/153602

Both got an option of "taster pack" where there have all flavours in the pack so.. may look at Smilla

Hmmmm
  • Fridaycat
    Options
    And then.. there is Smilla...

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/smilla/smilla_saver_packs/161783

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/smilla/smilla_saver_packs/153602

Both got an option of "taster pack" where there have all flavours in the pack so.. may look at Smilla

Hmmmm

Mine have tried Smilla. I got 200g sized tins to try, and they liked it. So then got 6 x 400g tins..... and they didn't :rotfl: (same flavour, different day). So the cat rescue had a nice selection of foods they couldn't read unless they speak German! But it is a good food.

Have you tried/thought of Bozita? A great value grain-free option I would say! All 5 of mine like it, though it gives Spotty diarrhoea (Bengals have sensitive tummies), so I am not going to buy any more. Shame though.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bozita they did not like at all.....

Smila - got few tinns from auntie Sheila and they loved it.

But as you know the moment I get a bulk order they will go off it just by looking at it...

Cats, huh?
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    But as you know the moment I get a bulk order they will go off it just by looking at it...
    Fridaycat wrote: »
    Mine have tried Smilla. I got 200g sized tins to try, and they liked it. So then got 6 x 400g tins..... and they didn't :rotfl: (same flavour, different day). So the cat rescue had a nice selection of foods they couldn't read unless they speak German! But it is a good food.
    Large tins make sense when one has more cats - my lot does not like "old tin", one that was opened for more than a day.. sigh.. especially not from the fridge.

ohhhh feeling much happier ...... Friday neither of mine would even TRY the Smilla:( - wee cat liked the Bozita but I have the same problem as GR as it's not eaten once it's over a day old/out the fridge so 1/2 of it was being wasted.... arrrrrgggggh cats!:D
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • princess*daisy
    Options
    I have two feline furbabies - brother and sister, 19 months old. They are both indoor cats.

My costs are:
    Insurance - £12 per month for top package (partner works for insurance company so we get a discount)

Wet food - £12.50 - We buy Morrison's own brand tins - £10 for 24. They have a 400g tin per day between them, which is the equivalent of two pouches of cat food each, plus they have a big bowl of dry food each at night.

Dry cat food - approx £5 - We buy a big bag (or two smaller bags/boxes) of anything that is on special offer. We're lucky cos our cats aren't fussy in the slightest!

Litter - £10. Four bags of woodbase, one per week. This is the type that works best for us. We change it every day but we make sure we don't use more than they need when we refill the tray.

TOTAL = £39.50

They are worth every penny :)
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Started 15/03/2011.
    CC1 -
    [STRIKE]6380[/STRIKE] 5800 CC2 - [STRIKE]2673[/STRIKE] 2238 Loan - [STRIKE]12172[/STRIKE] 10731 Total - [STRIKE]21225[/STRIKE] 18769 11.5% (£2456) paid :T

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    TOTAL = £39.50

They are worth every penny :)

Awwwwww:D they so are, aren't they!:)

This said even though I currently have mine separated due to a massive fight ...... Archie out / Mia in then a swap ..... having to open/close doors all the time and having a 2nd litter tray in the lounge (the worst bit) ..... arrrrggggghhhh they better sort themselves out soon!

Afraid you'll probably be up over the £50 mark once flea/wormer stuff & annual vaccines etc are added in:eek:
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • princess*daisy
    Options
    Definitely! Mine fight like cat and... umm... cat?! But then they'll wash each other by the fire and curl up together in their big basket at night, so they love each other really :love:

They are microchipped *just in case* one happened to escape, but tbh they aren't particularly fussed when we open doors to come in. We haven't bothered with vaccinations so far because they don't go out and never come into contact with any other cats. Perhaps they still need doing though?

They are also obsessed with human food, particularly boy cat. He loves veg, pizza, bread, eggs, cereal, potato, cheese, chips... he even scoffed jalapenos off a pizza once when I wasn't looking!:eek: I can never eat my tea in peace without him jumping all over me!
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Started 15/03/2011.
    CC1 -
    [STRIKE]6380[/STRIKE] 5800 CC2 - [STRIKE]2673[/STRIKE] 2238 Loan - [STRIKE]12172[/STRIKE] 10731 Total - [STRIKE]21225[/STRIKE] 18769 11.5% (£2456) paid :T

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure