PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

False economy (merged threads)

1212223242527»

Comments

• Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    And seriously who trusts bulk packs of pregnancy tests for £1?

We have always found the tests in poundland to be very accurate when we were ttc.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    I have bought 3 preg tests for £1 and never had a problem!

Oh, annoyed with myself though. Was determined to buy the Aldi washing up liquid once I finished my Fairy. I was in Tesco and needed to make the total up to £20 to use my voucher, so, rather than go to Aldi (and spend another tenner in there!) I was lured in by Tesco washing up liquid. 2 for £1.20. It's rubbish!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Using buses instead of trains. It's tempting to use those National Express or £1.50 coaches instead of the train, but it's only worth doing if you have a spare day or two to sit in traffic on bypasses!

Very true, because aside from personal value of time, most of us work and only have a set number of days off work which we want to make most out of. Spending them to sit in a coach all day is likely to work out a poor trade off.
    Cheap meat/processed food. The classic mistake, cheap meat may be more plentiful but the additives etc can have a bad effect on your overall health.

This is a more complex situation. I'm not convinced it's about additives so much as the poor nutritional value of many processed foods.

If someone often eats crisps instead of fruit I don't think it's as much about the fat and salt in the crisps as the missing out on the fibre and vitamins in the fruit.

There are discount food shops where you can fill a basket very cheaply, but looking at the vast amount of biscuits, fizzy drinks and frozen pies/chips in these shops convinces me that it's not value for money as there's little worth eating in the average basket from there. Fortunately some discount food shops like Aldi do contain a good range of food, so cheap doesn't have to be bad, it just sometimes is.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I buy lots of items from Poundland which are very good value. Gift bags and other stationery items. The pregnancy tests are the same as the more expensive ones and just as accurate.

Poundland and 99p store is pretty good for some items. Stationary can be good and I buy various things like bin bags in there and the huge bags of sugar. Hardware things can work well too. I bought a huge set of screwdrivers there years ago which have been ideal for taking appliances apart and the occasional DIY project.

I don't buy anything that attaches to the mains electricity in these shops however, some of it looks a bit dubious!
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2012 at 6:56PM
    DD20 Still showed up 7 1/2 mos later!

20 DDs and no boys? :D
  • shandyclover
    shandyclover Posts: 905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    20 DDs and no boys? :D

LOL DD20 was meant to be dear daughter age 20 - I have 4 daughters so putting their age after helps me keep track of who I am talking about! My 3rd baby was a son but he sadly passed away at 3 days old.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    LOL DD20 was meant to be dear daughter age 20 - I have 4 daughters so putting their age after helps me keep track of who I am talking about! My 3rd baby was a son but he sadly passed away at 3 days old.

Oh sorry about your baby boy, how sad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport