PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Fiscal Fast – 7 days no spending (at all)

Options

Comments

• firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I am back on the wagon as such - i was never exactly off it but anyway.......:rotfl:

Have enjoyed keeping up with all the motivation and news meanwhile. Woke up today and decide i MUST get into gear, so plan for today is:

Celery Soup (Allotment crop)
    Pumpkin Pie (ditto)
    Quiche Lorraine for freezer (LO Bacon, Eggs to use up)
    Banana Cake (Bananas to use up)
    Spag Bol / Chilli etc (ancient celery + carrots in fridge to use up) Will report back later........

ALL made, over 2 days admittedly.

Got 10 portions of Celery Soup, Pumpkin pie is like a yummy egg custard tart, just had half of Quiche for tea, been eating Banana cake 3 imes a day:rotfl:, both vege and meat spag bol made too:)
  • modern_millie_2
    Options
    Morning all,
    lovely to see this thread so active again!

I am hoping to jump back on board in the next few days, partly because I thought I'd found a new job (redundant from my casual job as of today) but it didn't work out - various reasons - so I'm coming at the problem from a different angle, ie conserving what we've got until next year, or whenever I can find more work.

I have good stocks of jams and pickles, and some of most staples. Being realistic, I'm unlikely to be able to do a complete FF this week, as DD is home from Uni, but will try to buy no more groceries and put a ceiling on other spends. I have saved DD a small pot of 50ps, for the college launderette, and we will probably treat her to a veggieburger at W'spoons tonight, but otherwise will try to keep expenses down.

Good luck everyone, hoping this thread will keep me on target!
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No spend for me - minus the weeky shop which was £27, admittedly got to do a small shop for packed lunch bits tomorrow, but other than that no spends at all in 7 days - amazing!

Busy decluttering at the moment, off to my mum's fireworks party at five, my sister and brothers and I are all under strict instructions to arrive empty handed - so free fireworks and free dinner and a lovely evening of good company
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Really need to do a fiscal fast again, got to much to use up.and desperate for freezer space for christmas stuff

So day 2 of no spending for me and half a chicken taken out of freezer,
    plan is to use all of it in the next 3 days and NOTHING put back in freezer,
    Slimming World at target
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2012 at 11:11PM
    Options
    Failed already!

Went over to see my son, and went out shopping with him. Forgetting all about the FF, I spent £2.17 on 2kg of lentils in an ethnic grocers, then went to a charity shop and bought two beautiful white bath towels for £1.80 each. Then passed a greengrocers with a rack of slightly battered fruit and veg outside, and got two 50p bags - 8 bananas and 6 Granny Smith apples.

All good purchases, but this was not quite the plan. I think I'll have to just begin all over again, doing a week starting tomorrow!

I did come back from DS's with some goodies that he gave me though - marrow, pumpkin and beetroot from his garden, and a jar of his HM plum jam, so these will help with the FF!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • donnajt
    Options
    Winchelsea wrote: »
    Failed already!

Went over to see my son, and went out shopping with him. Forgetting all about the FF, I spent £2.17 on 2kg of lentils in an ethnic grocers, then went to a charity shop and bought two beautiful white bath towels for £1.80 each. Then passed a greengrocers with a rack of slightly battered fruit and veg outside, and got two 50p bags - 8 bananas and 6 Granny Smith apples.

All good purchases, but this was not quite the plan. I think I'll have to just begin all over again, doing a week starting tomorrow!

I did come back from DS's with some goodies that he gave me though - marrow, pumpkin and beetroot from his garden, and a jar of his HM plum jam, so these will help with the FF!

Winchelsea I wouldn;t have been able to walk away from bargains like that - as the items you bought were not frivoulous this most def isn't a failure!
  • donnajt
    Options
    No spend day yesterday - got to get a few necessaries in but am going to try and hang it out until tomorrow - got to figure what's comig out of freezer for dinner today!
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 647 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, my goodness I forgot all about the fiscal fast until I visited mse last night, since having fibro my memory is atrocious. Yesterday I spent £1.50 in a charity bookshop while spending hours at the hospital after we had to have mum readmitted for tests after having a fall at home. Thankfully, Mum is back home now. One book was for mum so i am fine with the spend. But to avoid me forgetting again i am going to stick reminder notes on my purses: Fiscal Fast!

Currently in bed with a fibro flare so will read back through yesterdays postings to see how you all are.

Have a nice Sunday all.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • donnajt
    Options
    No Spend Day !!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 November 2012 at 9:12PM
    Options
    ok, am thinking of doing another week, only trouble is im probably going out Friday, so will be a (low) spend evening. But, if i do go out, i will add on an extra day I know its not the same, but i dont really go out that much, though i have had a few dos just recently. I am intending on spending nothing up 'till then, but we shall see. Today has been a no spend day.
    Winchelsea yes it does get hard when bargains are thrown in your face - to buy or not to buy that is the question - dont know the answer myself
    Peony hope your mum and yourself have a speedy recovery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport