Santander 2year fixed isa @ 4%

Options

Comments

• veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lanstrom wrote: »
    So if I was to open this with new money (12/13) could I then transfer my post office ISA into it in August when the fix rate deal runs out on that ?

Thanks.

Transfers need to be made within 14 days of opening so no (unless the offer was still around in mid July and you opened then).
  • lanstrom
    lanstrom Posts: 204 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Transfers need to be made within 14 days of opening so no (unless the offer was still around in mid July and you opened then).

I would think that 14 days makes things a bit complicated for most people as I would have thought that they would have opened accounts on (or just after) the 5th April ?

I do have a Barclays Golden ISA I could transfer but I am not sure of the exact date it matures and I wouldn't want to be penalized for early closure :(
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    I would think that 14 days makes things a bit complicated for most people as I would have thought that they would have opened accounts on (or just after) the 5th April ?

Unsure whether by 'opened accounts' you mean the new Santander account or the previous accounts - but whatever if you're armed with the dates it should cause no problem if you're organised?

I do have a Barclays Golden ISA I could transfer but I am not sure of the exact date it matures and I wouldn't want to be penalized for early closure :(

Not being 'funny' and don't want to come across as a twerp but these are fundamentals. Without knowing when it matures and what penalty may exist then you can never make a well informed decision if it's right to transfer?

Added a couple of replies
  • lanstrom
    Options
    Added a couple of replies

I only meant that I am at work at the moment and my spreadsheet (containing all my dates and other info) is at home so I cant check at the moment, although I am 100% sure that the opening date would have been within the first couple of weeks of April 2011.

Looks like the Barclays Golden ISA 3 is currently earning me 3.22% AER so I think I will open the 4.00% account on the 20th (when I am off work and can visit a branch).

What happens if Barclays takes longer than 14 days to do the transfer ? When I went from Barclays to Lloyds last time it took a full 28 days :(
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    I only meant that I am at work at the moment and my spreadsheet (containing all my dates and other info) is at home so I cant check at the moment, although I am 100% sure that the opening date would have been within the first couple of weeks of April 2011.

Looks like the Barclays Golden ISA 3 is currently earning me 3.22% AER so I think I will open the 4.00% account on the 20th (when I am off work and can visit a branch).

What happens if Barclays takes longer than 14 days to do the transfer ? When I went from Barclays to Lloyds last time it took a full 28 days :(

From a google search:

The transfer times for ISAs have been getting lots of publicity recently, when the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) ruled that cash ISA transfers were to take no more than 15 days. This new ruling comes into effect on 31st December 2010.
  • lanstrom
    Options
    From a google search:

The transfer times for ISAs have been getting lots of publicity recently, when the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) ruled that cash ISA transfers were to take no more than 15 days. This new ruling comes into effect on 31st December 2010.

OK that's talked me into it :) I was unaware of that change in ruling.

I will probably open their online saver now too so I can put the new ISA money in there ready to transfer on the 5th April.

Thanks.
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

If you read the information on the Santander website, they state that the transfer request be received within 14 days, not the actual transfer.

I transferred Barclays Golden ISA and Golden ISA 2 to Nationwide last year and it took less than 7 days.

Also, the Golden ISA 3 you can transfer any time, as the only thing fixed was the bonus.
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Saw this write up for Santander's new ISA offers launched today over on TIM website:

Santander overshadows Halifax with THREE best buy ISA's paying up to 4%

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2110522/Here-come-big-guns-Santander-overshadows-Halifax-THREE-best-buy-Isas.html#ixzz1oGqfhVnC
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Ifts wrote: »
    Santander overshadows Halifax with THREE best buy ISA's paying up to 4%

yes, but its Santander. Can you guarantee you'll ever be able to access your money again ;)
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    sorcerer wrote: »
    where is this 4% offer i cant see it on their website
    http://products.santander.co.uk/savingsandinvestments.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income