Santander 2year fixed isa @ 4%

Options

Comments

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes your right pays to read full terms

Access to funds, but any withdrawal within the 24 month fixed period will mean you’ll pay a withdrawal charge the equivalent of 160 days tax free interest on the amount withdrawn. You may therefore get back less than you originally deposited.

A._Badger wrote: »
    The 160 days penalty on withdrawals by Lloyds isn't very appealing.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    The 160 days penalty on withdrawals by Lloyds isn't very appealing.

You'll be hard pressed to find any multi-year ISA (or savings bond etc) that won't have a hefty penalty for early withdrawal. But if you find one, please post it
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    whiteside wrote: »
    This is shaping up to be a very decent isa offer by the sound of it. The ability to add in is good. I wonder if this is the Easter egg treat that someone else had posted on another thread. Methinks I have found my isa for the next two years.

Agree, it does sound attractive on the face of it. But I reserve judgement until I have seen the full T&Cs because the headline marketing bumpf never tells you the full story (just look at the cheeky NatWest ISA ads vs reality).

Also, Santander won't be the only ones launching new ISA offer in the next week or two, so well worth keeping your powder dry and do a thorough shop round before chosing the most suitable one for you.
  • JamesU
    JamesU Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    You'll be hard pressed to find any multi-year ISA (or savings bond etc) that won't have a hefty penalty for early withdrawal. But if you find one, please post it

Depends on amounts, mainly an issue on low value savings. For larger amounts, M+S 3yr fixed rate non-isa/isa with £100 penalty are pretty good:

£10K at 3.75%, £31/mth, £100 penalty, approx equiv to 3mth/90d penalty
    £15K at 3.75%, £46/mth, £100 penalty, approx equiv to 2mth/60d penalty
    £20K at 3.75%, £63/mth, £100 penalty, approx equiv to 1.5mth/45d penalty

etc, etc

JamesU
  • MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    The Llyods tsb fixed 2 year you have to over 10k to get 3.7%

http://www.lloydstsb.com/savings/fixed_rate_cash_isa.asp

Indeed and I plan to bump mine up to £10K in the new tax year. :D
  • MoneySaverLog
    edited 4 March 2012 at 8:11PM
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    Yes your right pays to read full terms

Access to funds, but any withdrawal within the 24 month fixed period will mean you’ll pay a withdrawal charge the equivalent of 160 days tax free interest on the amount withdrawn. You may therefore get back less than you originally deposited.

I don't actually need access to the money, probably for 5 years, locking it up is good for me as I'll be forced to think twice about taking it out as saving to buy a house. I'd lock it away for 5 years but not sure what is happening with interest rates over that time, suspect they are on the way up already as Halifax are increasing the Standard Variable Rate Mortgage and suspect others will follow suit.

You'd only get back less than you originally deposited if you take your money out before the 160 days anyway.
  • mary
    mary Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure about the Lloyds 2 year isa. If you put in less than 10K initially, your rate is 3.4% fixed. If then after April 6th you put in the new year's allowance, isn't your rate still fixed at the original 3.4%? Where does it say it goes up to 3.7%
  • MoneySaverLog
    Options
    No it goes up, checked that out when I opened the account.
  • shellylovesshopping
    Options
    Theres an additional 0.10% bonus at the end if a certain golfer wins a major tournament hence why it's called the major isa.
    There are only two things a child will share willingly - communicable diseases and their mother's real age
  • whiteside
    whiteside Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Theres an additional 0.10% bonus at the end if a certain golfer wins a major tournament hence why it's called the major isa.

A certain red haired golfer from Northern Ireland by any change??:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport