Santander 2year fixed isa @ 4%

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• nadnerb_2
    nadnerb_2 Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know when this dropped to 3.6%?
    I handed in my forms on Thursday last week and was told it would be processed by Saturday 14th August.

I haven't heard anything from Santander yet and now I'm anxious as to whether Im getting 4% or 3.6%
  • sjlou
    sjlou Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe it was dropped at the weekend when Rory won the major, the trigger for the bonus on the account.

Ring them, they may honour it as your form was received before the drop.
    :heart: Mini me due March 2014 :heart:
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    3.6% has been in effect for new accounts since August 9th, which was last Thursday....you could well be unlucky, nadnerb, sorry

http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Satellite?appID=abbey.internet.Abbeycom&c=Page&canal=CABBEYCOM&cid=1237908316644&empr=Abbeycom&leng=en_GB&pagename=Abbeycom%2FPage%2FWC_ACOM_ViewSelector
  • nadnerb_2
    Options
    Damn, so unlucky, thanks though innovate.

Now I'm unsure what to do as 3.6% may not be much better than a 1 yr or instant access account, hmm, too late now I suppose.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Difficult decision - 3.6% for 2 years could be not such a good deal, if there will be better deals about next March/April. Big 'if', though....

Use one of the ISA calcs and figure out how much the difference is in actual money. May be it's not so bad, after all.

If you haven't paid anything in, no worries, just don't use it. You are then free to open, and pay, into another ISA. If you have requested a transfer, it might be too late - - but would still be worth calling them to see whether you can stop it if that's what you want to do.
  • nadnerb_2
    Options
    Cheers innovate.

I set up a transfer request when I handed in the forms on Thursday.

The only hope is, on Tues a member of staff gave me the forms to set up the account, as well as a sheet detailing the rates for the account (4% fixed for 2 years).

She stapled all the forms together, I took them away, filled them out at home and got together the ID/National Insurance No.
    On Thursday I took the ID, completed forms and rates sheet back to them, a lady checked them over, confirmed I was opening a 2 year fixed ISA and told me the lady who deals with it isn't in until Saturday.
    Not once did she inform me the rates had changed and at this point I believed I was opening a 2yr fixed acct at 4% as per the document stapled to my application.

I wonder if this gives me a right to dispute this (if I have indeed been given a 3.6% rate)

The difference will equate to over £100 so worth asking I guess.
  • gunmaker
    gunmaker Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    nadnerb wrote: »
    Cheers innovate.

I set up a transfer request when I handed in the forms on Thursday.

The only hope is, on Tues a member of staff gave me the forms to set up the account, as well as a sheet detailing the rates for the account (4% fixed for 2 years).

She stapled all the forms together, I took them away, filled them out at home and got together the ID/National Insurance No.
    On Thursday I took the ID, completed forms and rates sheet back to them, a lady checked them over, confirmed I was opening a 2 year fixed ISA and told me the lady who deals with it isn't in until Saturday.
    Not once did she inform me the rates had changed and at this point I believed I was opening a 2yr fixed acct at 4% as per the document stapled to my application.

I wonder if this gives me a right to dispute this (if I have indeed been given a 3.6% rate)

The difference will equate to over £100 so worth asking I guess.

It's certainly worth a try complaining if you don't get the 4.00% rate.
  • hobo_two
    Options
    Hi all. I opened one of these earlier this year - March I think - happily thinking I was fine to squirrel the money away. Unfortunately not: a bit of a family emergency, and I'm now looking at paying the 120 days interest fee to close the account and withdraw the money. I'm just wondering if anyone knows: the money has roughly been in there that long anyway, so will the penalty apply to the interest accrued, or will my balance actually be reduced (i.e. no interest paid on the time that it's been in there)?
    Thanks!
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    It does what it says on the tin, so two months worth of interest will be paid on 1st July 2012, then a full year's worth on 1st July 2013. When you 'see' the interest for the final 10 months to May 2014 depends on what you, or Santander, do with the account upon maturity.

I never really thought about this when I opened our Santander 2 year fixed ISA. We put 2011/12 money in at end of March when we opened the account and 2012/13 money in as soon as we could in April. When the 2 years are up, presumably the rate will revert to pants so we will need to move the funds. What will happen to the last years interest? Will it be added to the removed funds at the time, will it be paid on 1st July 2014 somehow? Just a bit confused really as this year is the first time we have invested in ISAs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure