PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• padav
    Options
    Please excuse my ignorance with regard to the process of claiming back mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance.

I'm acting on behalf of my wife who is convinced she paid preimiums for PPI. I've downloaded and read through the helpful guide provided by Martin Lewis.

I provided my wife with the form to request her credit history from Equifax.

This duly arrived and we jointly went through the details. The Equifax summary provides no detailed breakdown information about PPI payments, just a simple list of actual payments, their dates and any outstanding balances so not really helpful in proving a case?

My wife identified at least one entry in the list, which definitely requires further investigation, not because of any information shown in the Equifax summary but simply from her own memory she can recall opting for PPI when she first had the credit card only to discover a few years later (when she suffered a serious sports related injury and had to off work for several months) that said insurance didn't cover her and she couldn't claim, at which point she cancelled the PPI (having paid the PPI add-ons for several years prior to this). This event was nearly six years ago so time is now running out!

But how to begin - the Equifax summary isn't much help except in establishing start and finish dates of credit contracts.

Is there a page on this site where a template letter covering the basic points is available - I've looked at all the links to template letters and they just provide questionnaires - I don't need to fill in a questionnaire - just send a letter to the relevant provider (in this instance Halifax, their name doesn't seem to figure in any of the tables of lenders, why not?)

Can anyone on this forum point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Join Equifax/Experian for free, and cancel after you've got your complete info before they charge you. They will be persisitnet about not wanting to you to unsubscribe, but persevere.
    Look for any loans or credit cards.
    Phone the lenders involved to ask if you paid PPI if you can't remember.
    Fill in the Questionn aires, one for each claim with verifiable reasons for misselling if you have some...
    Post them 1st class with proof of posting. Wait for a reply :)
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • robb58
    Options
    i thought I'd just back into this thread with news of my success using the forms and advice offered on this site. I had some loans in the past with Tesco which had ppi.
    I took out the loans on line and went for the option to have ppi as I thought it was the most sensible option. I had the application approved and that was it, no further attempt was made by Tesco at the time to see if I was eligible. As the company I work for has a policy of offering 26 weeks of full sick pay and I also had pre-existing medical conditions, I wasn't eligible.
    I sent off my claim form and after a lengthy wait, which Tesco's repeatedly apologised for, they finally came back and acknowledged that not enough was done to check on the suitability of the PPI for my circumstances, and the awarded me £8.5k :rotfl:
    Although I had a long wait, Tesco loans were very diligent in their processes and in keeping me informed, so I'd definitely recommend that anyone who had a loan with them checks their PPI.
    Santander however, are proving a tougher cookie in regards to a Debenhams store card, and their tone in their correspondent is far from friendly!!
  • busyhousewife
    Options
    Hello,
    sorry if this has been covered somewhere already, but there is so much on the PPI forum I may have missed it.
    My query is I sent off to MBNA to get a copy of my credit card agreement to see if it was worth a claim. I could see that I had ticked the 'no insurance' box, so assumed that was that and put it all to one side. However, I saw a re Tweet from Martin last week, from a man who said that despite ticking 'no' he had been charged the insurance anyway. Does this often happen? Is it worth me putting in a claim just in case?
    Thank you.
  • nee666
    Options
    Hello,
    sorry if this has been covered somewhere already, but there is so much on the PPI forum I may have missed it.
    My query is I sent off to MBNA to get a copy of my credit card agreement to see if it was worth a claim. I could see that I had ticked the 'no insurance' box, so assumed that was that and put it all to one side. However, I saw a re Tweet from Martin last week, from a man who said that despite ticking 'no' he had been charged the insurance anyway. Does this often happen? Is it worth me putting in a claim just in case?
    Thank you.

Have you got any statements showing they charged you ppi?
  • Babyface81
    Options
    Afternoon

I hope someone can help me. I'm looking into reclaiming PPI for my father as he was about to do it through a claiming company and I'd rather he not lose 25% in fees.

Anyway after speaking to him it appears he doesnt have any documentation on the loans, mortgages etc that he took out and therefore no account numbers.

What would be my next course of action? I've just seen the SAR letter thread so would it be a case of sending that to the banking institutions he used? He said he has had a few loans (now paid off) with Natwest and currently still banks with them so would it just be a case of giving them his current account number and history of previous addresses?

Any help would be greatly received. I'm struggling with where to start and his memory isnt too great so I feel the information I'm got to go on is rather weak.

Thanks
    BF
  • nee666
    Options
    Ive got a copy of a loan with Gmac, with ppi on it, do I complain to Gmac or the dealer?
  • nee666
    Options
    Babyface81 wrote: »
    Afternoon

I hope someone can help me. I'm looking into reclaiming PPI for my father as he was about to do it through a claiming company and I'd rather he not lose 25% in fees.

Anyway after speaking to him it appears he doesnt have any documentation on the loans, mortgages etc that he took out and therefore no account numbers.

What would be my next course of action? I've just seen the SAR letter thread so would it be a case of sending that to the banking institutions he used? He said he has had a few loans (now paid off) with Natwest and currently still banks with them so would it just be a case of giving them his current account number and history of previous addresses?

Any help would be greatly received. I'm struggling with where to start and his memory isnt too great so I feel the information I'm got to go on is rather weak.

Thanks
    BF

Firstly try calling them, if they don't provide the info you require then do a sar......
  • Babyface81
    Options
    nee666 wrote: »
    Firstly try calling them, if they don't provide the info you require then do a sar......

And just ask for account numbers etc at this point?
  • lemonade_lifestyle
    Options
    Babyface81 wrote: »

BF

I found my information initially, by using credit reports from Experian etc. The reports had dates of loans and also some or all of the account numbers on aswell.
    This will help you if phoning company up for any further information.
    :silenced:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure