PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Dinard wrote: »
    if i dont know who i might have had ppi from and dont know how to proof I did am I best of going to one of the claim companies to find it out and make claim or complaint for me?
    They won't know either.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 August 2019 at 2:52PM
    Options
    i dont know what to do then. Do I just give up and if i am owed money they just get away with it and keep my money? whats the point in the FCA ad that says all you need is your birthday and addresses?

what about those people who didnt know they had it - i thought they were meant to be able claim it back. if they dont know they had it how do they find out they did and how do they proof they didnt know about it?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    if i am owed money
    You are not "owed" anything. You need to understand that.
    Do I just give up?
    Probably.
  • System
    Options
    if people isn't owed their money back why are some getting it?
    Who gets to choose who gets the money?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    if people isn't owed their money back why are some getting it?
    I'll leave you to it..
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance/
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Having said all that, over half of the "complaints" received are from people who did not have the insurance....:eek:

"We're getting upwards of 190,000 requests a week, with only 10% being converted into claims."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49175565
  • System
    Options
    I can see taking this furthr will just make me unhappy - no point continuing. just something else for those that already have to get more back. if your live was organised 20 years ago so you had paper work you are ok but if not they can take you too the cleaners
  • Gonna-be-debt-free
    Options
    i dont know what to do then. Do I just give up and if i am owed money they just get away with it and keep my money? whats the point in the FCA ad that says all you need is your birthday and addresses?

what about those people who didnt know they had it - i thought they were meant to be able claim it back. if they dont know they had it how do they find out they did and how do they proof they didnt know about it?

I have just started too :)

I think the thing to do is start with the ones that you are sure of.

So for example I had 2 cards that I know had PPI on them, and I now believe were miss-sold because I was told when taking them out that I had to have the insurance in order to be accepted.

I initially used the "Resolver" tool to make complaints to these 2 cards. Confusingly the FSA advert refers to a "claim" and even the resolver tool refers to "the Financial Ombudsman Service mis-sold PPI claim form" but it is actually a complaint you are registering.

Since doing those I have found that the FSA website itself is much easier. Sorry I can't post the link because (after 3 years) I still count as a new user.

I have been going through all my old records. If I am sure there is no PPI then of course I am not doing anything, but since I have never consiously decided to take PPI, and the deadline is looming, if I am unsure then I have decided to put in a complaint.

I can see there are people saying it's wrong to complain if you weren't sure you were miss-sold, but I see from the Barclaycard PPI website that they are actively turning people's enquiries into claims if they find they had PPI, to make sure that people don't miss the deadline through making an enquiry and not having time for the complaint. I figure if the bank thinks that is fair, then that is a good enough indication for me.

Other organisations don't seem to be doing that, so for example for a Santander card where I am about 70% sure, I just submitted a complaint rather than a query, because they say they take 8 weeks to respond to the query which would mean I would miss the deadline.

Not sure how much that helps, but it might make it a little clearer. Do you have any way of knowing or remembering which accounts you have had? I just started by writing down what I remembered, and then more came to me.
  • System
    Options
    So is the rulke that unless i know what i had i cannot be due (you dont like owed) any money? not knowing means i cannot have been misold ppi? what about people who dont even know they had it - thought they could get it all back.
    no as i said doing any more will make me miserable because it is for people who know more than me and had better paper work thne me. so i will stop. no point.
  • Gonna-be-debt-free
    Options
    So is the rulke that unless i know what i had i cannot be due (you dont like owed) any money? not knowing means i cannot have been misold ppi? what about people who dont even know they had it - thought they could get it all back.
    no as i said doing any more will make me miserable because it is for people who know more than me and had better paper work thne me. so i will stop. no point.

It's obviously your choice whether you continue or stop, but it would probably only take 30 minutes of your time to do a PPI check with the main banks, who will check on your behalf and (some will) automatically turn it into a claim for you if they find you are owed anything.

Or rather than give up entirely you could go through a claims company. Probably 70% of something would be better than nothing if you find anything was due to you. All the claims company will do is make those same submissions for you, saving you that half an hour.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback