Forum Home» Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance

PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5 - Page 1069

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
11K replies 1.7M views

Replies

• gcareygcarey Forumite
    2 posts
    I know I am very late in requesting information from banks / credit card companies in regards as to whether or not I had PPI, so if I have all the account details can I put in claims without knowing for sure if I had PPI?
  • edited 1 August 2019 at 9:32AM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 1 August 2019 at 9:32AM
    gcarey wrote: »
    if I have all the account details can I put in claims without knowing for sure if I had PPI?
    Understand that it is not somehow wrong simply to have insurance.

In order for any policy to be refunded, you need to show that it was somehow mis-sold to you.

You do this by complaining, not "claiming", but how can you show PPI was mis-sold to you if you may not even have it? :eek:

First establish whether you had it, only if you did can you then decide how it was mis-sold to you and make a compelling complaint.

Having said all that, over half of the "complaints" received are from people who did not have the insurance....:eek:
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get this difference between a claim and complaint. I thought we was making a claim to get back the money we paid.
    Or do we make a complaint first an then a claim after?
  • SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dinard wrote: »
    I don't get this difference between a claim and complaint. I thought we was making a claim to get back the money we paid.

Claim is what you do on an insurance policy when you suffer a claimable event. However, claim has become slang for complaining when it refers to PPI. Mainly due to "claims companies".

What you are actually doing with a PPI "claim" is making an complaint where you allege a wrongdoing in the sale of the PPI policy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    There is no "claim", unless you are actually claiming on an insurance policy..

If, however, you complain and the complaint is upheld the PPI will be refunded to you.

If you complain about PPI that you never had in the first place, then the Bank will send a terse form letter "informing" you that you "complained" about something you never had. :eek:

Personally, I would be embarrassed making such a "complaint". I wouldn't want to be "caught out" in such a way. Others (over 50% apparently) feel differently and put in pernicious "claims" with impunity.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Gonna-be-debt-freeGonna-be-debt-free Forumite
    240 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Yesterday I started off with a straight up complaint for the ones I am quite sure on - Barclaycard and Tesco Bank - through Resolver because it seems like the easiest route.

However today I did I PPI check on the ones I am not sure on (Halifax and Bank of America - now MBNA) through their own websites.

This led to to the Barclaycard website for my husbands card. On there they explain all of the brands and store cards that they are responsible for investigating, and also that if you submit a query and they find you had PPI they will automatically turn it into a complaint.

My question is should I take that in good faith and just submit a query rather than a complaint for my husbands card? (we know he had PPI but shouldn't have had for various reasons - I have the statements still) I am thinking that if we submit a query they check all of their brands and basically do all of the work, whereas if I submit a complaint, am I complaining just for that one known account and not getting the benefit of them doing the search?
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Contrary to all the adverts, there is no pot of money waiting to be allocated. You make a complaint the ppi was missold, they uphold or not, you get a refund or not.
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone. So th proces is to work out which banks you had deals with then to make an enquery then to wokr out if it was misold and then make a complaint. And we have to do all of thi sby the end of this month!

Apart from from going through the very lon glist on the FCA sight, are there tips onhow to find out hwo you had dealings with?

And how do we know and proof it was misold?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Apart from from going through the very lon glist on the FCA sight, are there tips onhow to find out hwo you had dealings with?
    I'm afraid not
    And how do we know and proof it was misold?
    You have to work that out for yourself,
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought I had replied but cant see it here now.

So if i dont know who i might have had ppi from and dont know how to proof I did am I best of going to one of the claim companies to find it out and make claim or complaint for me?