Forum Home» Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance

PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5 - Page 1066

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
11K replies 1.7M views

Replies

• Hi I had an egg card but no longer have any paperwork. It was in my maiden name, at a different address. What can I do?! Thank you
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    30.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send in your complaint with the details you remember.
  • Complete novice! Where and who do I send to? Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Legorocks wrote: »
    Complete novice! Where and who do I send to? Thanks
    Google "Canada Square Operations"
  • SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Legorocks wrote: »
    Complete novice! Where and who do I send to? Thanks

To the company you are making the complaint about. i.e. the one that sold you the PPI.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • I have contacted Santander (Abbey National) with who I had a mortgage account, a loan account and a current account. I know that I had PPI on some of these accounts.

I tried to make a claim and gave them the account numbers. There standard answer is that as the accounts were held longer than 6 years ago they no longer hold the information, as they state that after 6 years they delete records in line with their retention policy.

Also on the letter it says that if I am not satisfied I can lodge a complaint.

The question is to who do I send my complaint, because if Santander no longer have the records how are they going to investigate any further and how are they going to attend to my complaint? To complain to Abbey National (now Santander) seems pointless.

Does the bank need to prove that I did not have PPI or do I need to prove as a customer that I had PPI? Or is there some other place that I can lodge a complaint I.e. the financial Ombudsman Service?
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    30.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to prove it if they have no evidence. You're the one making the complaint.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    AndreasG91 wrote: »

The question is to who do I send my complaint, because if Santander no longer have the records how are they going to investigate any further and how are they going to attend to my complaint? To complain to Abbey National (now Santander) seems pointless.
    It is pointless I'm afraid.

Unless you have documentary evidence from your own archive then any "complaint" you might make has ended before it's begun.

Sorry.
  • beezkneezbeezkneez Forumite
    124 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Is there an online search that I can do to see if I have ever had ppi?

I have seen companies where I can tick boxes for every company that I may have used in the past but I’m not sure if they are genuine companies
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    beezkneez wrote: »
    Is there an online search that I can do to see if I have ever had ppi?
    No.
    You'll have to ask each individual lender.
    Note that it's not simply enough that you had the insurance, in order for it be refunded, you'll have to show that it was somehow mis-sold to you.

That's if you actually had the insurance, of course :)