PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If there's nothing on the statements, you didn't pay PPI.
    And you asked for a CCA which they don't have to provide. SHould have sent a SAR.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • DavidWares
    Options
    Has anyone had an issue with the ombudsman being a bit rubbish?

I tried to reclaim PPI for 3 mortgages I had with Northern Rock between 1988-2005. They replied to the effect that for one week in 1996 I did not have a mortgage with them (I was between mortgages while I moved house) and therefore did not have PPI for that week. They therefore knocked back my entire claim.

I contacted the ombudsman.

They 'investigated' and got back to me and repeated what Northern Rock had told them: for one week, I did not have PPI. I explained that, yes, in 1996 there was one week when I had no mortgage and no PPI, but for the eight years before and the nine years after, I did have a mortgage. And I did have PPIs.

The ombudsman said there was nothing they could do.

I then went to a private PPI recovery company who, after investigation, confirmed that I did have PPI (which I knew already) but then told me Northern Rock said the case was closed as they'd already dealt with the ombudsman, and they would not re-open it.

I'm not very impressed with the process, to be honest. The ombudsman was useless - they just parroted the reply from NR.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MPPI is rarely miss-sold as it's a useful protection to save your home

You'd have to give the full details of the rejection as the reason you have given doesn't really make sense
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone had an issue with the ombudsman being a bit rubbish?

People who get rejected often feel that way but overall, the FOS is impartial but with a slight consumer bias.
    They 'investigated' and got back to me and repeated what Northern Rock had told them: for one week, I did not have PPI. I explained that, yes, in 1996 there was one week when I had no mortgage and no PPI, but for the eight years before and the nine years after, I did have a mortgage. And I did have PPIs.

NR only sold monthly premium standalone plans where the direct debt was separate to the mortgage. So, its easy to prove you had it from your bank statements.
    I then went to a private PPI recovery company who, after investigation, confirmed that I did have PPI (which I knew already) but then told me Northern Rock said the case was closed as they'd already dealt with the ombudsman, and they would not re-open it.
    You are lucky the CMC didnt bill you for wasting their time. The outcome was what you were always going to get.
    I'm not very impressed with the process, to be honest. The ombudsman was useless - they just parroted the reply from NR.
    Most MPPi complaints fail anyway. The FOS has found no failing in other areas. So, it is limited in how it can respond if it finds nothing wrong.

Most NR mortgages were put in place by estate agents/mortgage adviser/brokers. In those cases, NR wouldnt know what insurance you had. So, you may well have had PPI but NR would know nothing about it. Could that be the case here? i.e. did you buy your mortgage from an NR branch or did you use an estate agent/broker/adviser?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    DavidWares wrote: »
    None of this makes sense. Do you mean that they said they have no record of your earlier mortgage and/or PPI? What has the week in which you had no mortgage got to do with that? Did they also say they have no record of PPI on your subsequent mortgage?

Sounds to me like any PPI you had was sold by a broker or estate agent and so your mortgage provider would not have any records of the insurance. Unfortunately, even if you were (mis)sold by a broker, the period in question was pre-regulation and any complaint wouldn't have to be considered in any case.

Note that the Ombudsman Service is not a Consumer Champion, it is the independent arbiter of complaints. As such, it can only look at the evidence as presented by you and the bank.

So it's only a "bit rubbish" because it did not find in your favour?

Certainly, the seven days you apparently had no mortgage will have had no effect whatsoever on the success or failure of a PPI complaint.
  • netty_sland
    netty_sland Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Ive been on here before but am unfortunately back again. I have a copy of my mortgage agreement with North of England building society dated 22 Nov 1991. However I have contacted UKAR/NRAM (15/5/19) about a reclaim. They say they are unable to trace any account details (23/5/19) Saying they hope to carry out a further search.
    They also said they may not be the mortgage lender and the account could be with Virgin Money PLC.
    I did contact them nearly 2 years ago as well with a reply (12/9/17) saying they do not have any record of any credit agreement documents or numbers on their system. Also claiming they have no liability for any PPI misselling claims against Northern Rock plc.
    I know they do have records as we have just paid off the mortgage in January 2018. The mortgage was paid off with an endowment so I am not clear as to which road if any I can go down to see if I am entitled to any PPI or Plevin claim.
    Any help would be gratefully accepted. Thankyou
    Netty
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    Options
    Does your mortgage agreement detail PPI?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, Ive been on here before but am unfortunately back again. I have a copy of my mortgage agreement with North of England building society dated 22 Nov 1991. However I have contacted UKAR/NRAM (15/5/19) about a reclaim. They say they are unable to trace any account details (23/5/19) Saying they hope to carry out a further search.
    They also said they may not be the mortgage lender and the account could be with Virgin Money PLC.
    I did contact them nearly 2 years ago as well with a reply (12/9/17) saying they do not have any record of any credit agreement documents or numbers on their system. Also claiming they have no liability for any PPI misselling claims against Northern Rock plc.
    I know they do have records as we have just paid off the mortgage in January 2018. The mortgage was paid off with an endowment so I am not clear as to which road if any I can go down to see if I am entitled to any PPI or Plevin claim.
    Any help would be gratefully accepted. Thankyou
    Netty

Answered on the other thread you posted on. Please do not duplicate postings.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • smk77
    smk77 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have MPPI with Nationwide and put in a claim using the resolver tool. I've had a response from Nationwide stating "further to our previous letter we do not appear to have received the PPI Questionnaire". The letter proceeds to tell me that they are unable to carry out a full investigation without this.

I haven't had any previous letters from Nationwide.

I don't know what this questionnaire is. I filled in some information when completing the resolver tool.

Any ideas?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    smk77 wrote: »
    I don't know what this questionnaire is. I filled in some information when completing the resolver tool.

Any ideas?
    Contact the bank directly. Do not use any third party, even a "free"one like Resolver...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback