Options

Comments

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    sorry to hijack,
    but any ideas how to boost Virgin Airmiles, (without having a Virgin credit card!)
    I got 16k, but wouldn't mind finding a way of boosting over the next year, just noticed I can earn points with the Tesco clubcard thingy...

Credit cards are the best way TBHO with the AMEX Mileage reward points usually being the most that can be converted to Virgin miles.

Here are some others

Maybe some info on Headforpoints and Avios info too!
  • Bluebirdnick
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    You don't have to use the bags. I send mine off all in one box and pay for recorded delivery.
    It's a hit and miss game on whether they get accepted or not. The cartridges are put through an electronic test, if it fails you don't get the points. I think on average over the years about 4-6 out of a hundred of mine get rejected.
    Great, thanks. Not sure I've got enough for a box-full, but I'll send off what I have. (A box-full is a lot of printing!) I actually spoke to the company about it too and they said the old envelopes are fine, so I'll send them off in those.

Is there not a problem with redeeming in bulk? Or do you think the recycling company don't care because they make a profit anyway?
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    You can buy 20 recycle envelopes on ebay for £3
  • basiaking
    Options
    Excuse me everyone, but am I missing something? I have just been on the Avios website and got a quote for 4 adults flying to Orlando in Economy with BA. The price I got back was 60,000 miles plus £2,327 taxes etc. I then used a search engine (https://www.kayak.co.uk) for exactly the same flights, on exactly the same planes, and the cash price which came up was £2,220. I thought this must be wrong so did the same thing again, this time for 4 adults to Jersey in May, again the Avios website quoted 36,000 plus £288.68 taxes (using the most number of miles) or 20,000 miles plus £488.68 taxes (if using the least number of miles). Again did a search on Kayak for the same dates, times, planes and the cash price was £260! What exactly is the point of collecting miles if you are going to pay more taxes/surcharges etc., than if you paid cash? Am I doing something wrong?

Also having done a few quotes also with Virgin Flying Club, the taxes seem to be much less with Virgin than BA.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    basiaking wrote: »
    Am I doing something wrong?

In a sense, yes. As a rule of thumb, using Avios for economy long haul flights with BA is very poor value since they only go towards the fare part of the ticket which is usually very low (the majority of the price is fuel charges and taxes). Much better to use them for upgrades to Club World or First, or to buy reward seats in those cabins directly.

The taxes are the same with Virgin but BA insists that you pay the fuel surcharge on top of the Avios, that's why there's a price difference.
  • budgetflyer
    Options
    Try that same cash search for flexible, refundable tickets and you will get a much higher cash price. Avios tickets are fully refundable.
    The Jersey flights, if you had some Avios, would be 9000 Avios + £35 Reward Flight Saver. This would also include a free connection from a regional airport
  • worldtraveller
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Shell Drivers' Club Newsletter
    All Shell Drivers' Club members will receive triple points when they purchase Shell V-Power Nitro+ fuel during September but we've got a special offer for our British Airways Executive Club Members.

In addition to collecting triple Avios on Shell V-Power Nitro+ you'll also be able to receive triple Avios on our regular fuel. In short, this means 60 Avios per 20 litres on Shell V-Power Nitro+ and 30 Avios per 20 litres on regular fuel. We've also extended the offer period...fill up between 5th September and 13th October and see the difference in your Avios balance![/FONT]
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • marsman802
    Options
    ah fantastic - i shall make sure i clock up a lot of business miles this month haha
  • sshnuke
    sshnuke Posts: 149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BA eStore for Executive Club members - You'll need to sign-up\log-in to see the offers.

If you spend over £50 on your first purchase at selected stores* you get 500 bonus points. Offer ends 22nd Sept.

https://www.shopping.ba.com/

Spend with an AmEx card and you'll get even more.

*Stores are:
    John Lewis
    Marks & Spencer
    Debenhams
    House of Fraser
    Currys
    PC World
    Apple
    Selfridges
    Waterstones
    The White Company
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 September 2013 at 11:58AM
    Options
    basiaking wrote: »
    Excuse me everyone, but am I missing something? I have just been on the Avios website and got a quote for 4 adults flying to Orlando in Economy with BA. The price I got back was 60,000 miles plus £2,327 taxes etc. I then used a search engine (www.kayak.co.uk) for exactly the same flights, on exactly the same planes, and the cash price which came up was £2,220. I thought this must be wrong so did the same thing again, this time for 4 adults to Jersey in May, again the Avios website quoted 36,000 plus £288.68 taxes (using the most number of miles) or 20,000 miles plus £488.68 taxes (if using the least number of miles). Again did a search on Kayak for the same dates, times, planes and the cash price was £260! What exactly is the point of collecting miles if you are going to pay more taxes/surcharges etc., than if you paid cash? Am I doing something wrong?

Also having done a few quotes also with Virgin Flying Club, the taxes seem to be much less with Virgin than BA.

Peak time i.e. summer hols always hard to find flights

If you are wanting to go Transatlantic Aer Lingus is about the best for taxes.

I use Qantas to check availabilty. Just booked 3 return flights to Orlando next August, Manchester Dublin Dublin Orlando using Avios £700 are the fees.

For us miles more convenient than BA which flies from Gatwick
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure