We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lucielle wrote: »
    I went to a beacon lightin g, couldn't see many others. A bit disappoointed really as I was kinda looking forward to something similiar to the ones in the Lord of the Rings! I know it was special effects, a girl can dream.
    L

We were gardening too hard to notice if we could see any beacons, but we did see a few of those chinese paper lantern thingies going over. This morning on the local news they showed Liverpool's 8 beacons at Pier Head... Basically they were 8 bottles of calor gas attached to a sort of torch thing. Looked really naff. :o

I'm really jubilleed out now, just sick of the constant TV coverage and sycophantic dross the presenters keep coming out with. :eek: At least there's some good hats in St Pauls! :rotfl:

CTC, Chelsea was incredibly crowded. When we first arrived (about 11.30am) I couldn't see anything but a sea of legs with being in the wheelchair. Felt like just packing up and going home. :( Not too bad inside the pavilion, though OH hated it in there as it was more displays than gardens IYSWIM. But it got a bit less crowded later in the afternoon/evening, so managed to see some of the show gardens then. If we go next year I'll try and get tickets for Members Day as it might be a bit less hot and bothering and crowded.
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    apart from my dignity [deriar] ;)...... i will know tomorow if i have done anything....:D
    my body likes to "surprise" me the next day....never at the time..:o

Hope you are not too stiff and sore today Alfie! Next time wait till your son is there to steady the ladder - or maybe even get him to do the trimming? ;)
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    Hope you are not too stiff and sore today Alfie! Next time wait till your son is there to steady the ladder - or maybe even get him to do the trimming? ;)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: i darent even tell my son i did it !!
    hes MR SAFETY.....:D my ears would still be ringing !!:rotfl:

my butt is a bit tender.....:o
    my back is a bit tender.....:o
    and my thumb ??....:rotfl:

well we got rain today !! it has just "paused"..... for a CTC cuppa and biskwit no doubt...;)
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=alfie 1;53

well we got rain today !! it has just "paused"..... for a CTC cuppa and biskwit no doubt...;)[/QUOTE]

hahahahahaha..... think i should have that on my head stone,

'I am only pausing for a cuppa and a biscwit':rotfl:

Piddling down off and one here..

going to pick up my ebau furniture tonight:T

there is an old rayburn for sale for £50 it has the water pipes on the side..

dont know whether to buy it, for the old brick shed ( which is only a shell at mo, needs new roof) which eventually be a chick/brooder and small breeds chicken shed..

As you can see we are trying not to rely on electric/gas etc to heat things...as we have a good suppy of wood, or can get hold of free wood..

am I mad? OR thinking the right way for the future?

here is a sneaky peek

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280891866382?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

as its going to be in a shed, it doesnt matter what it looks like

what do you think?
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    Options

dont know whether to buy it, for the old brick shed ( which is only a shell at mo, needs new roof) which eventually be a chick/brooder and small breeds chicken shed..

As you can see we are trying not to rely on electric/gas etc to heat things...as we have a good suppy of wood, or can get hold of free wood..

here is a sneaky peek

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280891866382?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

what do you think?

My only concern with any stove, Rayburn etc. would be ventilation, CTC. In confined, unventilated areas they are potential killers. I'm sure it could be done but getting the balance between safety & workability may not be easy. Sheds, greenhouses etc. don't come with flues as they did back in olden days.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My only concern with any stove, Rayburn etc. would be ventilation, CTC. In confined, unventilated areas they are potential killers. I'm sure it could be done but getting the balance between safety & workability may not be easy. Sheds, greenhouses etc. don't come with flues as they did back in olden days.

I was thinking the flue/pipe would go out through the wall and then up?

Even tough i like Queenie, but i am getting a bit fed up now:cool:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    edited 5 June 2012 at 6:21PM
    Options

here is a sneaky peek

what do you think?

FOR WHAT ITS WORTH ...HERE'S MY 2P'S WORTH....:D

in the old days they used to have the old boilers,coppers etc bubblin away in the outhouse. my old aunt used one till she was 95 !! [these tended to be lit and used for the day only tho, sometimes overnight.]
    whilst i agree with ITSME re ventilation, i also feel anything unattended is a tad dodgy BUT i think if one could be rigged up within a safe brick non inflamable building it would be fantastic as a clothes drying room etc [at a safe distance].....how big is the shed ??
    you know me tho.... i rig up allsorts and "get away with it "...:rotfl::rotfl:

i do think a woodstove would be better than a bus of a boiler tho... the thermostats are usually shot on em.... and the lining walls tend to split with time..... it looks a tad ropey :o
    at least with woodstove you can reseal the joins ...;)

p.s. ....you really need chimney to go straight up or you wont get the draw....friends hubby who knew best,;), did an elbow and when the door was open the room filled with smoke :eek: and the soot gathers on the bend.....but only my humble opinion :o
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks Alfie.

didnt bid on it..... as there were some good points made by Itsme ..

the Brick building is approx 8ft x approx 30ft... it had planning permission to be built, and it was for 2 stables and a tack room, but In all honesty I think it was being used as a cold room with a walk in fridge for the previous owners eggs;)

Rhiwfield has seen it.... :D Needs to be cleared out of all the crap and over growth, roof has fallen in in places SO basically it is just a shell with no doors or roof... it wouldnt take long, or alot of money to turn it into a nice chick/brooder/feed/ room...

will try and dig out some pics, or take some in the next few days...

I am trying to take some good points that our Rhiwie has made, even though we are desperate to save money now..... We also need to look at savings in the future, even if it means spending now ok nowhere on the scale of mr & mrs Rhiwie with the solar panels etc, but hopefully little bits like having some sort of wood/coal heating system for the shed and greenhouse, which ok are not priority, but for me, at least the little chicks will be warm, and if for any reason we have some sickley piglets we will have a nice warm area for them with cheap heat..

Anyway picked up the furniture:T, but hubby being a man, wouldnt spend the time in taking the top half of the dresser off, and it fell and broke part of the glass:mad:, so the cheapest way for me to repair it, is to remove the glass completely and put fine/craft size chicken wire
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    CTC........i think the chook wire would look really good actually having looked at the pics again !! just be able to see your biscwits more clearly.....:D
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    CTC........i think the chook wire would look really good actually having looked at the pics again !! just be able to see your biscwits more clearly.....:D

:eek::eek::eek: not only will i hear them calling me, i will be seeing them too:eek: they will not have a chance in hell, they will be scoffed in seconds:D

I have MORE bites:o its no joke now...

I have read that A.v.o.n. so soft oil spray is a good deterant. either that, or i will be getting one of those beekeeper outfits. to do my gardening:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport