Your Bangernomics successes

Options

Comments

• Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Wee update on all things bangernomics.

Got a cartakeback quote on the merc, £285 if I can get it to them 21 miles away. Trying to get a loan of a car trailer.
    Should get £175 for associated bits and bobs (twin tank kit, couple of suspension parts) and I'll be keeping the battery which I put a value of around £100 on.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPTIMA-YELLOW-TOP-BATTERY-YTS-5-5-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-BATTERY-/251614686786?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a95676e42

The frontera's a bit of a gas guzzler, so as it's bought, paid for, insured and taxed for a year (£1020 all in), we'll keep it the year and prey for a bad winter to help justify it. Should be £250 weighed in next year anyways, that's before considering breaking it.

To offset the fuel costs, going to get another diesel (Running biodiesel, to help spread costs). Second car insurance comes in at £154.00, it'll be about £240 for a years tax, then cost of the car (I've one in mind).
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    megane is still running fine.. finally got round to an oil change cost me £12 beauty of getting trade prices for stuff

also replaced rear engine torque link rod... another £13

still clonking when braking.. so im suspecting roll bar or something.. will check it out at some point
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My Megane still running fine too and it has just ticked over 98,000 miles on the clock this week. I'm thinking about getting it booked in for an oil and filter change this week or next, one local garage on FB quoted me £45. Not sure if this is a good price or not, I don't have the facilities to do it myself unfortunately. Going to change air and pollen filters myself. Pollen filter definitely needs a change as it's completely black.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Had to get recovered yesterday, the v6 was down to 3 cylinders.

AA guy was there in 35 mins :) he checked it over and diagnosed a collapsed cat. Spot on.

Proved today by removing from the cat back and no exhaust gasses getting through.

I was having a play with the egr valve, and with the bolts out, it runs again, but I've decided to cut my losses and get shot.

Probably going to need to hire a car trailer, I'll use the frontera to tow the merc to the breakers and leave the both of them.

That'll be £545, less the £45 hire so £500 back in and needing a car.

The Frontera costs breakdown is £260 weigh in, £200ish tax back and no £155 for another insurance policy. Hoping to get £150 for the 2 new hankooks. Approx £250 hit for the joys of 2 months owning it.

Been a mini disaster really, but heyho, the thrills of bangernomics.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A v3! Power!
  • mcjordi
    Options
    My Megane still running fine too and it has just ticked over 98,000 miles on the clock this week. I'm thinking about getting it booked in for an oil and filter change this week or next, one local garage on FB quoted me £45. Not sure if this is a good price or not, I don't have the facilities to do it myself unfortunately. Going to change air and pollen filters myself. Pollen filter definitely needs a change as it's completely black.

where you at lee? i have drive on ramps oil filter removal tools and sump keys

get the oil and filter and id do it for the cost a chicken kebab so around 20 all in..
    1v100 £15/300
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    O2 Yaris Verso bought 5 years ago for £1500 so not really a banger at the time.

5 years on about £90 for middle and rear exhaust in 2 separate items 2 years apart plus normal servicing . Still got under 70,000 on the clock and runs like dream !
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Approx £250 hit for the joys of 2 months owning it.

Been a mini disaster really, but heyho, the thrills of bangernomics.

With Bangernomics we might see it as a disaster. For anyone who drives a new car, £250 loss of value would be a massive success!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Probably a bit of a blessing in disguise really, I'm back in the saddle of a Veg oil burner from tomorrow and away from V6 4x4 fuel costs.

Buying from someone I know, mot'd till end March, 1999 Passat estate 1.9 tdi.

220k miles, FSH, timing belt etc done in the past 2-3 years, £450.
  • mcjordi
    Options
    £250 hit is better than the 3/4k loss on a new car fella :)
    1v100 £15/300
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport