Your Bangernomics successes

Comments

• I must be dreadful at buying bangers - my £500 Matiz only did me six months and my £650 Fiesta's looking to do even less *sulk*

Going to try and get on a basic vehicle maintenance course though so I can know what I'm prodding around with :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • I must be dreadful at buying bangers - my £500 Matiz only did me six months and my £650 Fiesta's looking to do even less *sulk*

Going to try and get on a basic vehicle maintenance course though so I can know what I'm prodding around with :)

HBS x

Since you're in the North East, if there's anything you're looking at you want an experienced eye on, I'm happy to help (and pass on some knowledge at the same time) and/or know plenty of others locally who will.
  • Since you're in the North East, if there's anything you're looking at you want an experienced eye on, I'm happy to help (and pass on some knowledge at the same time) and/or know plenty of others locally who will.

Oh thank you so much :) I suspect this time I have actually bought a lemon, but may pick your brains when it wears out (in about a fortnight, the way things are going...:rotfl:)

I do have a little bit of knowledge about cars, but nothing practical/useful - e.g. I can tell what a knackered wheel bearing sounds like, or how "spongy" brakes feel - but I couldn't tell you what a wheel bearing looks like or how to change brakes. I just feel a little ignorant I guess :( as the only thing I can really do is keep oil/coolant/screenwash topped up!

Thank you again :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Oh thank you so much :) I suspect this time I have actually bought a lemon, but may pick your brains when it wears out (in about a fortnight, the way things are going...:rotfl:)

I do have a little bit of knowledge about cars, but nothing practical/useful - e.g. I can tell what a knackered wheel bearing sounds like, or how "spongy" brakes feel - but I couldn't tell you what a wheel bearing looks like or how to change brakes. I just feel a little ignorant I guess :( as the only thing I can really do is keep oil/coolant/screenwash topped up!

Thank you again :)

HBS x

No bother at all. Drop me a PM if you need anything, I'm always happy to help out/share a bit of knowledge/point you in the direction of a decent garage/fix the odd broken thing.
    Actually, fixing broken things is a blessed relief from the weekday grind, and I do it for beer money!
  • My £400 Megane that I got in March is making a slight squeal noise, more noticeable when the engine is cold. I think they may be the fan belt?
  • Just checked the fuel economy in the Frontera, a wee bit over 15.

It's only going to be used sparingly anyways, and the other cars on biodiesel so it evens itself out.

The tyres are 4mm all round, but I got 2 brand new hankooks for £100 the pair (think they were £130 each originally) so a good buy.

We'll see how it goes, might consider LPG.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My Hyundai is still going strong. :D Managing an impressive 29.9mpg in normal driving, but my 3 mile city commute brings it down to 22mpg. :( Never did get that weird tingling suspension fixed, doesn't seem to have done any hard though...
  • I'm getting 100 miles out of £20 petrol on the Megane.
  • I'm getting 100 miles out of £20 petrol on the Megane.

That's only 28/29mpg, which sounds pretty awful to me for a Megane. Are you only doing 1 mile trips or something?
  • That's only 28/29mpg, which sounds pretty awful to me for a Megane. Are you only doing 1 mile trips or something?

Mix of 9 mile round trips to work and one or two 20-30 mile round trips.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback