Your Bangernomics successes

Options

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Mix of 9 mile round trips to work and one or two 20-30 mile round trips.

Blimey, that doesn't sound brilliant even then. Sticky brake calipers? Handbrake?

Got to be something behind figures like that IMO.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Blimey, that doesn't sound brilliant even then. Sticky brake calipers? Handbrake?

Got to be something behind figures like that IMO.

It did have dodgy rear brakes when I got the car 6 months ago but had the rear brake shoes replaced soon after when they seized. Handbrake and brakes seem to operate fine at the mo.
  • Limey
    Limey Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    The £500 Celica I bought just over 2 years ago is still going strong, admittedly it has had a few odds and ends replaced beyond the usual consumables (Exhaust £145, rear shocks £112) and has had a few 'mods' done (rear ARB, strut brace, engine tweeks of dubious bhp benefit:rotfl:).

But I've clocked up over 30k and have done 3 track days and she hasn't blown up yet. :cool:
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    ^^ That sounds great, toyota quality then. Which model and engine would that be, I'd love to have a celica or mr2. Saw a mr2 at 2k and thought that was good price for 10 years old or so, for 500 it is a dream though

29mpg on a megane seems normal in heavy city type driving. If you can spread out the acceleration, braking so less gas pedal is needed it might help alot
  • Limey
    Options
    ^^ That sounds great, toyota quality then. Which model and engine would that be, I'd love to have a celica or mr2. Saw a mr2 at 2k and thought that was good price for 10 years old or so, for 500 it is a dream though

She's an ST202 (Gen 6) import so a 3SGE engine (2.0), the ones with the quad headlights. There are lots of gen 6s out there for this kind of money, they're getting to that kind of age unfortunately. Just avoid the 1.8 engined Gen 6s (7AFE) as they can be trouble if they haven't been pampered, the valve stem seals can leak like crazy.

I know mine will hit me with a big bill if I keep hold of it for a few more years, as it has superstrut suspension which is uber expensive to repair. But worth it because she handles beautifully for a wrong wheel drive. :cool:

Insurance ain't cheap though, I've had 3 Celicas so far and they've been the most expensive near standard cars I've owned so far (I'm not including my current MK1 MR2 in that:rotfl:).
  • NWOIHTS
    NWOIHTS Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2014 at 12:59PM
    Options
    MPG figures for last 2 full tanks.

02/09/2014 39.51 MPG

01/10/2014 41.79 MPG

Car: Cavalier 1.8 - about 35 Miles a day, 3/4 of that Mway.

Recent/upcoming issues - oil sump has rusty bits that are starting to weep oil so got new sump at £26 and gasket for a few £s. Fit this hopefully before end of month, or sooner if a stone hits it!
  • NWOIHTS
    NWOIHTS Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    skater_kat wrote: »
    i'm intrested in learning to service/repair my own car (currently have an old diesel vw transporter van). any tips?

Would join forum for that make/model and start reading and look at "how to" threads as they usually have them.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Car passed MOT today with no advisories. Hoping it carries on just as well as it has for the last 8 months!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Limey
    Options
    Clutch and CV joint done over the weekend, £70 for the clutch & £50 for the CV joint. Took both days but we took it slowly with plenty of tea breaks, !!!! taking and laughter.

There will be an added bill later of £114 for replacement torque mounts as the ones on the Sillycar are past their best but c'est la vie.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback