Your Bangernomics successes

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    mcjordi wrote: »
    where you at lee? i have drive on ramps oil filter removal tools and sump keys

get the oil and filter and id do it for the cost a chicken kebab so around 20 all in..

Thanks, I'm up in Northumberland, not sure when I can get to Durham though.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably a bit of a blessing in disguise really, I'm back in the saddle of a Veg oil burner from tomorrow and away from V6 4x4 fuel costs.

Buying from someone I know, mot'd till end March, 1999 Passat estate 1.9 tdi.

220k miles, FSH, timing belt etc done in the past 2-3 years, £450.

Passats with the PD engine are fantastic. In fact any VW group car with the PD engine is one of the best. 220k still has miles left in it, my Golf has just gone past 247k and running great.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Changed over insurance, turns out it's a 2000. 110bhp, so non pd. Still good for another 100k or 2.
  • lexington013
    Options
    My merc is just coming up to 13.5 years old, it's a 2001 car. Just got thru it's MOT only needing 2 rear tyres, Result! Hopefully another year of trouble free motoring. Will give it a home service early next year.
    No advisories either!:T
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Does anyone know if the Focus ST is the same at the back as the 5 door one? (Mine's a 3 door)

My Sportbrake (which is the most useless estate car I've ever owned) won't swallow a sofa, that I know last year would go into the 5 door one (which I'm now not insured to drive), and the Yeti isn't immediately to hand.
    💙💛 💔
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The Megane managed a 350 mile round trip down to Manchester and back this week without a hitch.

This car is definitely a keeper :cool:
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    I'm back with another!
    I needed the ZT-T off the road to measure up some custom parts I'm having made - so I've bought another Rover 600.

Behold!
    53f69bce-589a-48da-b20c-a2ada58e14fd_zpsa40b23e5.jpg~original

However, it's not just any 600 - it's a 620ti. 197BHP, 74,000 miles and full MOT for £650. Happy days!

So far I've done just under 1,000 miles and it's been perfect. I'm putting a few new bits on out of choice (new exhaust and slightly larger alloys with new tyres) but that's about it for now.
    She's going to Germany and back in 4 weeks time - that'll be the real test.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I really liked the 600, nightfire red really suits them, Rover should have done more with it. If it has got to that ripe old age someone must have been clearing the mudtrap in the back wings and I bet its had its driver side window regulator replaced at least once. With it being at that money you can drive it with the spirit it deserves and not always be worrying if the turbo is about to blow or if one of the internals is going to try and peep out of the engine or gearbox.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This is not strictly speaking Bangernomics but related.

Our last few cars have been high end cars with lots of bells and whistles that are old enough to be cheap but still have the luxury feel.

Current car is Lexus RX300 about 11 years old. It cost about £3000 and is so comfortable to drive and reliable. We plan to tour Scotland next year in it (long way from Devon) and with 2 dodgy knees I can't get in and out of a small car easily any more.

We have found a local car mechanic who charges reasonable rates and drives the same model Lexus himself so that's sorted. My OH is very car knowledgable but feels that he is too old (66) to be scrabbling around cars himself any more
  • Hyperxr
    Hyperxr Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    This is not strictly speaking Bangernomics but related.

Our last few cars have been high end cars with lots of bells and whistles that are old enough to be cheap but still have the luxury feel.

Current car is Lexus RX300 about 11 years old. It cost about £3000 and is so comfortable to drive and reliable. We plan to tour Scotland next year in it (long way from Devon) and with 2 dodgy knees I can't get in and out of a small car easily any more.

We have found a local car mechanic who charges reasonable rates and drives the same model Lexus himself so that's sorted. My OH is very car knowledgable but feels that he is too old (66) to be scrabbling around cars himself any more

I'd agree there are alot of bargains out there on older (bigger, luxury) cars that are plus 10 years old, many of which are much better than purchasing a newer, smaller car with a similiar price tag.

It goes without saying the biggest reasons for the value on older, bigger cars is the insurance, road tax and fuel cosumption. Unless I had a good working knowledge on cars, and it had full service history, I would be hestitant on purchasing an olde vehicle like the Lexus RX300 etc. When things goes wrong (and more likely due to age) they would be expensive to fix
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback