Beware - People's Postcode Lottery!

Options

Comments

• INTOWIN
    Options
    Thanks to every comment on here, i was just about to sign up to them but seeing all the comments has changed my mind big time, there is something very wrong with the PPCL
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    wondring wrote: »
    My concern, apart from noticing that out of 5 latest winning postcodes 2 are Scotland, 2 are Nottingham/Stoke on Trent and one near London, that the 25 grand one was Bolton and the 3 Million winners Crew (near Newcastle/Stoke on Trent (ie all bar one up North) and that many of the Good Causes are specifically Scottish, Peoples Postcode Directors, Management and the Charities are allowed to participate in the draws. Even though the rules state any individual wins they get over 5 grand have to be donated to their trusts (or words to that effect) it still doesn't sound right to me.
    Just checked latest winners and again a bias to the North, 3 out of 5. Nottingham /Scotland again with another to London. Reckon I will give up on it after this month if that's all the odds are stacked like that. .

Made me chuckle that! As if someone is moaning about a bias towards NORTHERN towns! Usually it is us northerners moaning about how much money is pumped into London and other southern places ;)

Just a sample test....

Criteria = Anything BELOW Birmingham is South. Anything ABOVE Birmingham is North. Birmingham (and Norwich) is not counted.

14th Sept = 3 N and 2 S
    13th = 3 N and 2 S (2x just below Norwich!)
    12th = 1 N and 3 S
    10th = 2 N
    9th = 1 N and 4 S (counted S wales as S)

tot = 10 N and 11 S

remove Norwich ones and S Wales (shall we remove Scotland too?):

tot = 10 N and 8 S

Which I'm afraid to say is not statistically significant for that small data set. If you run it through a chi squared test you'd need the bias to be 13-5 here for borderline statistical significance. Maybe it all adds up over a HUGE data set, but I can't be bothered tallying each individual one up :) Suffice to say, a small sample has yielded no bias towards Northern towns :)
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    This thread is depressing. Do people really enter these lotteries thinking that they have a good chance of getting more money back than they put in? Where do they think the prize fund comes from?

For every winner there have to be many more people who "have played for three years and won nothing." That's how it works! Those who don't win fund those who do.

Trying to make out it's somehow crooked is just naive. It doesn't need to be crooked. They basically collect up as much money as people are prepared to give them and then hand half of it back to a few randomly chosen individuals while keeping the rest. When you can do that legally, why risk breaking the law to try and keep a small percentage more?
  • Fraudaware
    Options
    Is there a current up date on complaints about the Peoples Lottery
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    This post ^^^^ about Dr Omowele is the most spammy spam I've ever read on any public forum. :rotfl:
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please, PLEASE, mods . . . do NOT delete the post about the Great Dr Omowele from MSE newbie multimillionaire Mrs Clara.

It is, as Pollycat says, the most hilariously stupid spammy spam to be found on any public forum at the moment and really, we're all in need of a good laugh. The hole world is, come to that.:j :j :j
  • Trebleclef3
    Options
    Hi all

I've been playing this lottery for about 18mths now but got a bit concerned when I started reading this thread. However I have to share my news and recent winnings with you as it really isn't a scam. Although only £10 a time winnings it means that some of my months have been free plays. I hope for the big one to be matched with my postcode yet. I'm from the north and my recent winnings have been

Winners in BB5 3##

Show results
    DATE PRIZE WON PER TICKET
    06/11/2016 £10
    09/10/2016 £10
    18/09/2016 £10
    11/09/2016 £10
    10/07/2016 £20
    21/02/2016 £10
    13/12/2015 £10
    26/01/2014 £10
    Showing 1 to 8 of 8 results
    Previous1Next

My winnings on playing the national lottery for over 10 years probably amounted to less than 25 quid so for me it's a no brainer.

Each winning has been paid directly to my bank account within 3 days and an email notification is received for each win.

I feel it's certainly better than the national lottery and much cheaper to play. £10 per month gets you in daily weekly and monthly prize draws.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,974 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Both the National Lottery and Postcode Lottery are no brainers, though not in the way you mean.

You've given them £180 and they've given you £90 back. If you're happy with giving them £90 of your money for nothing then it's your money.

The Postcode Lottery is not cheaper than the National Lottery. The National Lottery pays out 55p on average for every £1 you spend on tickets. The Postcode Lottery does not appear to disclose how much they pay out in total, but their accounts suggest they pay out 45p on average for every £1 spent on tickets.
  • definiteexppl
    Options
    PPL does not show how they carry out the draws. We are supposed to accept that all is fair and square. This lack of transparency worries me a lot.
  • definiteexppl
    definiteexppl Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 22 November 2016 at 10:13AM
    Options
    After i cancelled my direct debit a woman from PPL phoned to ask why I had cancelled my subscription. I informed her about my concerns regarding the lack of transparency with the draws. Instead of explaining or at the very least agreeing about my concerns and trying to reassure me, she flew into a rage and stated ' you can believe what you like'. She slammed the phone down. Is this the action and behaviour of a legitimate organisation's employee.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback