Beware - People's Postcode Lottery!

Options

Comments

• Chandy
    Chandy Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    Theresa67 wrote: »
    I've been playing postcode lottery for 3 years and have won £30 only. I did query them as I noticed most big winners seem to be in the Scotland area. They sent me an email to say I'd won £10 I replied it costs me that amount to play each month so technically I've won nothing!! I've also noticed how they are heavily plugging themselves on TV a lot and begging you to buy a ticket like you're really going to win a vast amount of money L.M.A.O.. AFter 3 years playing and living in a relatively big postcode I'm beginning to think this lottery is just a waste of money no matter how the adverts make it look so easy to win big.

The size of your postcode makes no difference to your odds of winning, though it does make a difference to your odds of the prize being large if you do win.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Chandy wrote: »
    The size of your postcode makes no difference to your odds of winning, though it does make a difference to your odds of the prize being large if you do win.

Please explain you reasoning for the above in bold
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • maninthestreet
    First Anniversary
    Options
    wondring wrote: »
    My concern, apart from noticing that out of 5 latest winning postcodes 2 are Scotland, 2 are Nottingham/Stoke on Trent and one near London, that the 25 grand one was Bolton and the 3 Million winners Crew (near Newcastle/Stoke on Trent (ie all bar one up North) and that many of the Good Causes are specifically Scottish, Peoples Postcode Directors, Management and the Charities are allowed to participate in the draws. Even though the rules state any individual wins they get over 5 grand have to be donated to their trusts (or words to that effect) it still doesn't sound right to me.
    Just checked latest winners and again a bias to the North, 3 out of 5. Nottingham /Scotland again with another to London. Reckon I will give up on it after this month if that's all the odds are stacked like that. .

The Postcode lottery originated in the North of England in 2005, and expanded to Scotland in 2007.
  • bettyboo71
    Options
    Please explain you reasoning for the above in bold

Every postcode which is entered into the draw has the same odds of winning, regardless of how many houses are in that poastcode. However, my postcode only covers 12 houses but my Mum's covers 120, so, the chances are that there might be more people in her postcode who subscribe, therefore there would be more people to share the prize among. Hope that helps.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    @ Plotto:
    Posting the same message on multiple boards is considered :spam:
  • I save £200 every year by not playing Eurolotto!
    PM me for no thanks!
  • wondring
    Options
    Maninthestreet I am fully aware of where and when the PPL originated and is registered so your reply to my post is irrelevant. It is now 2016 and it is supposed to allow an equal chance for all postcodes to win the major prizes but it is obvious this is not the case. Although there was a burst of wins mid February that seemed to give the illusion of a more even spread it still appears hugely biased. Even the Trust webpage flags up 'funding available to London, Greater London, Scotland and Wales. Hopefully I will be able to compile a more detailed analysis after another month's statistics but I will certainly not be subscribing after that time.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wondring wrote: »
    Maninthestreet I am fully aware of where and when the PPL originated and is registered so your reply to my post is irrelevant. It is now 2016 and it is supposed to allow an equal chance for all postcodes to win the major prizes but it is obvious this is not the case. Although there was a burst of wins mid February that seemed to give the illusion of a more even spread it still appears hugely biased. Even the Trust webpage flags up 'funding available to London, Greater London, Scotland and Wales. Hopefully I will be able to compile a more detailed analysis after another month's statistics but I will certainly not be subscribing after that time.

It's will be an equal chance for every postcode entered in the draw, if there are more people in the north entering the draw then there will be more northern postcodes in the draw. If no one living in a postcode enters then that post code won't be entered.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • Emmad32
    Options
    Hi,
    Am just wondering if anyone has won anything on PCL? I have been playing for 3 years and not a sniff of anything, not even £4!
    When I call to ask if they can check if I have preciously won am told they can't and I javhave up trail through the web site, which is very basic with not much info that's useful at all! I feel scare mongered into cancelling "incase the win comes the month after I do" 🙈:eek:
  • maninthestreet
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Emmad32 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Am just wondering if anyone has won anything on PCL? I have been playing for 3 years and not a sniff of anything, not even £4!
    When I call to ask if they can check if I have preciously won am told they can't and I javhave up trail through the web site, which is very basic with not much info that's useful at all! I feel scare mongered into cancelling "incase the win comes the month after I do" ��:eek:

I've won three times, over a period of about three years - only £10 a ticket win each time, so I'm not going to be able to retire any time soon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure