PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

go back to days of yore

Options

Comments

• vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    they end up a bit like hot dog sausages if you don't brown them first
    actually thinking about it if you dont brown them the skins tend to slide off whilst they are cooking - eeeeew!
    Blah
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    have you made it traf?  I am not sure how long to par boil the spuds for or how small to chop them; I hate crunchy potatoes (unless they are roast :D)
    I do mine on the stove so no need to par -boil at all and I personally like my spuds roast spud size :) but I don't use value beans (can't stand the taste) and I don't use value sausages (I find they go mushy) :D

So if your following 160s recipe I'd par -boil for five minutes ::)
  • vanoonoo
    Options
    I do this on the stove so no need to par -boil at all and I personally like my spuds roast spud size :)
    oh right - so you make it a different way to 160? cos she par boils her spuds and then puts it all in the oven.

when you do yours in the pan traf- roughly how l ong does it take your spuds to cook thru, and is it about the same length of time for the sausages or different? i'm having probs working out how long it would take supds to cook thru from raw in the juice for a tin of beans.
    Blah
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What I do is add about 1/2 pint of stock because otherwise the beans would burn before the tatties cooked ,the sausages (my sausages anyway are always cooked by the time the tatties are).......never done it in the oven but presume value beans have more 'juice'but I suspect that's why the tatties are par-boiled first :-/
    time 20/25 minutes for mine......I don't like my spuds to go to mush

I have to say I don't do this one often and prefer the sausage stew/cornedbeef stew :)
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just a little story to cheer frugal living people:

The ancient Greek philosopher Diogenes used to be a bit of an eccentric and never comformed to society's rules. He lived in a very frugal way and his home was a large barrel.

One day, he was sitting on the ground in the warm Greek sun, outside his barrel, eating a bowl of lentils, when another philosopher passed by. This philosopher was a favourite of the king and as such he was all dressed up in the best finery.

Approaching Diogenes, he shook his head pitifully and said: "See, Diogenes, if you only could learn to be subservient to the king, you would never again need to eat lentils!"

To which, Diogenes replied:"But can't you see, if you learn to like lentils, you would never again need to be subservient to the king!"

I love this story! It represents my philosophy of life completely!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Pat__3
    Pat__3 Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Options
    I think this thread is brilliant, got some great ideas from a lot of the posts. :D Thanks Everyone. :)

Wish Cathy was back contributing. :)
  • vanoonoo
    Options
    What I do is add about 1/2 pint of stock because otherwise the beans would burn before the tatties cooked ,the sausages (my sausages anyway are always cooked by the time the tatties are).......never done it in the oven but presume value beans have more 'juice'but I suspect that's why the tatties are par-boiled first :-/
    time 20/25 minutes for mine......I don't like my spuds to go to mush

I have to say I don't do this one often and prefer the sausage stew/cornedbeef stew :)
    ah right so you add extra liquid. i think I'll wait for 160 to come back to explain her method then before I try it in the slow cooker cos I defo dont want to add extra stock in my slo cooker. would be like a thin and watery baked bean soup. ewww.
    Blah
  • vanoonoo
    Options
    Just a little story to cheer frugal living people:

The ancient Greek philosopher Diogenes used to be a bit of an eccentric and never comformed to society's rules. He lived in a very frugal way and his home was a large barrel.

One day, he was sitting on the ground in the warm Greek sun, outside his barrel, eating a bowl of lentils, when another philosopher passed by. This philosopher was a favourite of the king and as such he was all dressed up in the best finery.

Approaching Diogenes, he shook his head pitifully and said: "See, Diogenes, if you only could learn to be subservient to the king, you would never again need to eat lentils!"

To which, Diogenes replied:"But can't you see, if you learn to like lentils, you would never again need to be subservient to the king!"

I love this story! It represents my philosophy of life completely!

Caterina
    good one caterina - not a bad approach. most things in life can be tolerated if enough effort is made and if the alternates are repulsive enough! I like it!
    Blah
  • vanoonoo
    Options
    Thanks Everyone. :)
    you're welcome :)
    Blah
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options