PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

go back to days of yore

Options

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well, going back to the fifies and sixties   crisps were about all you could get really or a kit kat, they just didnt make the stuff they make now

so if you wanted a "snack"  you had a jam butty  and never thought of anything else.

as for turning your nose up at your tea!!

you had the same thing on each day of the week.ie, egg and chips monday, corned beef hash tuesdays etc,  so youd sit down, youd get your tea plonked down in front of you and  if you liked it you said "ooh  great"  and if you didnt you just ate it anyway cos you knew that was it, nobody was going to make you anything else.  

jam buttie for afters and a cup of tea and everyone was happy.

lol
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone eat traditional British food everyday of every week???? We used to - but now most of us have a curry or spag bol of stir fry as part of our normal routine meals.
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we do, as the old fart wont eat spag bol or curry and i dont like curry anyway

occasionally we will go mad and have a chinese takeaway but it is very very occasionally cos the nearest chinese takeaway is a 24 mile round trip used to be 30 but we got one a bit nearer now lol
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eat BritTrad food about 3 times a week. Sun Lunch followed by Cottage Pie/Toad-in-the-hole/bangers 'n'n mash or some such mid-week.

I remember as a child we were not allowed to eat a packet of crisps without a round of bread and butter "to make a meal of it!". Tinned fruit and condensed milk also had to be accompanied with bread and butter for the same reason.

Had a bloke work for me years ago who would sit at his desk mid-afternoon and say "what day is it?" then answer himself "Oh yes! Porkday" or whatever was always on offer that day of the week.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • DIRK_GENTLY
    Options

my old mum was right and from now on thats the way Im going to live we'll be rich in no time,

;D
    So whats the point of being rich and living as if you were in the middle of a war?How much pleasure can you get from money if the only use you have for it is to improve your counting?
    YOU CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING........
    WHERE WOULD YOU KEEP IT!!!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    living frugaly means you have more money to do things you enjoy, i think that was cathys post meant,
    So whats the point of being rich and living as if  you were in the middle of a war?How much pleasure can you get from money if the only use you have for it is to improve your counting?
  • MATH
    Options
    Being missarable/living a paltry life and being rich is no fun at all, I should imagine ;D However, frugal living is about having the same quality of life style but without the cost. You can remove a lot of unecessary expense from ya life and not miss it. If you ask do I need it, do I enjoy it, does it add anything to my life you can drop a lot of things.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you said that so much better than me. thanks math.
    Being missarable/living a paltry life and being rich is no fun at all, I should imagine ;D However, frugal living is about having the same quality of life style but without the cost. You can remove a lot of unecessary expense from ya life and not miss it. If you ask do I need it, do I enjoy it, does it add anything to my life you can drop a lot of things.
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I was wasting so much money on stuff it wasnt real, I was also trying to lose a lot of weight, so the living on rations made a hell of a difference to that, and I stopped wasting cash, stuff, and food. nothing wrong with that, we live extrememly well, and being careful with the money has allowed us to do that.
    I just thought about how much I wasted on buyint things I wanted but didnt need and usually didnt want once I had them, and stopped it. its made a big difference to our money we dont live like were in a war situation, but we eat healthier food and we are slimmer, fitter and richer for it.
  • MATH
    Options
    aww...Thanks 160 :-[
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure